Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
27-04-2019, 23:00   #61
Corruptedmorals
Registered User
 
Corruptedmorals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 4,029
Wow, glad the end is just about in sight. Can't wait to see videos..it's a route I know very well but moreso from Rosslare from holidays as a child but obviously not that ship. I'd be very curious to know the difference in handling a storm of equal size between this ship and the old one, the Normandy. I'm sure it had plenty in its time but we only ever experienced one bad crossing and it sounds very mild compared to this.
Corruptedmorals is offline  
Advertisement
27-04-2019, 23:14   #62
Kmum
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 23
On the food.. we did have a stash and we were aware of the storm but Irish Ferries didn’t specify how much of a delay until we’d checked in. We’ve done the rosslare-France route for a good few years and I’d never have anticipated a 13hr delay. There’s only so much dry food you can stomach. If they’d given more details in their text or when I called I would have emptied out the cooler box and stocked up on more substantial food.

My main issue with the food was the different standards and portions for those using the voucher. It should have been for anymeal in the bistro place or for a value that you could add to. I can forgive the queues etc. I also don’t think 1 meal to cover 13hrs is sufficient. I will follow up with them and see what the response is. There is no compensation due when delays are due to weather but they are obliged to provide adequate meals, drinks and snacks according to the consumer protection website.

Finally looks like we’re pulling in!
Kmum is offline  
27-04-2019, 23:55   #63
Pretzill
Registered User
 
Pretzill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,631
Glad the ordeal (voyage) is over for you. It looks to me this delay wasn't all storm related - as a frequent passenger to Cherbourg from Rosslare I'd question why they removed Rosslare as the Irish leg - Dublin is a very busy port! I travelled across only a few weeks ago and had another 3 hours drive ahead of me after Dublin - I really wouldn't fancy that drive at this hour especially as a delay at sea can get quite exhausting!

Weather isn't avoidable unfortunately and these things can happen and I'd much rather be safe. Enjoy the Terra firma!
Pretzill is offline  
28-04-2019, 08:00   #64
First Up
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 12,758
It will be interesting to know how much of the delay was time spent waiting to dock. Weather is weather but if they have locked themselves into berthing arrangements so tight that they are vulnerable to long delays, they are asking for (and found) even more trouble.

I've been a happy customer of IF on the Rosslare/OW for years but nothing I'm hearing about the Yeats and Dublin Port is giving me confidence.
First Up is offline  
28-04-2019, 08:18   #65
First Up
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 12,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corruptedmorals
Wow, glad the end is just about in sight. Can't wait to see videos..it's a route I know very well but moreso from Rosslare from holidays as a child but obviously not that ship. I'd be very curious to know the difference in handling a storm of equal size between this ship and the old one, the Normandy. I'm sure it had plenty in its time but we only ever experienced one bad crossing and it sounds very mild compared to this.

As far as I know, the Normandie never operated from Ireland. Its the boat thar Brittany Ferries operate from Portsmouth to Caen (and still do I think.)

The Irish Ferries vessel on the Rosslare Route was the Oscar Wilde.
First Up is offline  
Advertisement
28-04-2019, 10:21   #66
vicwatson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 25,932

Quote:
Originally Posted by First Up View Post
As far as I know, the Normandie never operated from Ireland. Its the boat thar Brittany Ferries operate from Portsmouth to Caen (and still do I think.)

The Irish Ferries vessel on the Rosslare Route was the Oscar Wilde.
Mv Normandy sailed Rosslare to roscoff or Cherbourg for Irish ferries from 1999-2008,it was scrapped in 2012, might be before your time
vicwatson is offline  
(4) thanks from:
28-04-2019, 10:56   #67
WicklowTiger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 230
This demonstrates clearly the madness of moving the route to Dublin Port from Rosslare. In the next couple of months the Enniscorthy bypass opens. Must people using this service are taking cars and are prepared for a long drive on the other side. They would probably have no issue with an hour and a half this side as well.

But with Dublin so busy any small delay means potentially hours waiting on a slot. And that's not even accounting for potential Brexit complications at the port. Needless to say, I'm sure they would have been docked in Rosslare hours earlier had they not moved the route.
WicklowTiger is offline  
28-04-2019, 11:01   #68
Pretzill
Registered User
 
Pretzill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by WicklowTiger View Post
This demonstrates clearly the madness of moving the route to Dublin Port from Rosslare. In the next couple of months the Enniscorthy bypass opens. Must people using this service are taking cars and are prepared for a long drive on the other side. They would probably have no issue with an hour and a half this side as well.

But with Dublin so busy any small delay means potentially hours waiting on a slot. And that's not even accounting for potential Brexit complications at the port. Needless to say, I'm sure they would have been docked in Rosslare hours earlier had they not moved the route.
I agree. I have a longer drive to Rosslare but I don't mind the extra hour or so, very little traffic and straight down to the port in Rosslare versus more tolls or a packed quays in the city. It makes no sense because this is a faster ship than the OW but you don't get the benefit as it has longer to travel by sea from Dublin too.
Pretzill is offline  
(2) thanks from:
28-04-2019, 13:19   #69
First Up
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 12,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicwatson
Mv Normandy sailed Rosslare to roscoff or Cherbourg for Irish ferries from 1999-2008,it was scrapped in 2012, might be before your time

I guess so; I've travelled to France with BF, Stena and IF. I can't recall when I first used IF but the Oscar Wilde is the only vessel I remember using. (Brittany Ferries have operated a ferry called MV Normandie on the Portsmouth - Caen run for many years. Maybe there's two of them.)

You'd expect a brand new ship like the Yeats to perform much better than much older earlier models from your childhood.
First Up is offline  
Advertisement
28-04-2019, 13:20   #70
road_high
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 12,022
Is the new ship serving Rosslare at all or is it solely Dublin?
road_high is offline  
28-04-2019, 13:21   #71
First Up
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 12,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by road_high View Post
Is the new ship serving Rosslare at all or is it solely Dublin?
Just Dublin
First Up is offline  
28-04-2019, 16:27   #72
pm.
Registered User
 
pm.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,845
Send a message via MSN to pm.
Hey all

I got my son to upload the videos to YouTube

https://youtu.be/1ngUC-Cy1RQ

https://youtu.be/rpQ28k0UF04

https://youtu.be/IsxFr25ZC5s
pm. is offline  
28-04-2019, 16:38   #73
First Up
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 12,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by pm.
I got my son to upload the videos to YouTube

Thanks
How busy was the ship?
First Up is offline  
28-04-2019, 16:41   #74
Odelay
Registered User
 
Odelay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by pm. View Post
Looks fairly normal to me?
Odelay is online now  
(4) thanks from:
28-04-2019, 16:43   #75
pm.
Registered User
 
pm.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,845
Send a message via MSN to pm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by First Up View Post
Thanks
How busy was the ship?
I'd say 75 to 80% full. The videos don't really do justice to how rough it felt on board, every now and then a monster wave would hit and scare the crap out of you
pm. is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet