Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Building a fence higher than 2 metres

• 23-05-2020 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hello,

TLDNR: can I build a fence on my side of the boundary block wall higher than 2 metres (boundary between my garden and my neighbour's garden)?

Long version!:
    I'm aware that the maximum height for a boundary wall or fence is 2 metres in between back gardens.

I've been having an issue with new neighbours, who moved in a few weeks ago. We're in neighbouring semi-detached houses in Dublin.

I don't want to go in to specifics but basically neither us nor our children feel comfortable in our back garden. The neighbour and his friends are the most undesirable you could meet. I'd normally have a friendly chat with people, but believe me, these are the sort where this is impossible.

There is a very low boundary wall and I intend making a higher "screen". It would need to be at least 3 metres high to be effective, due to the lay of the land.

If I build a fence entirely on my side of the boundary would this be against planning at 3 metres?

The fence posts would be concreted into the ground and possibly attached to the wall on my side. I'd probably start the timber panels a couple of feet off the ground, so that the block wall is still the obvious boundary. Also I'd not have the fence the entire length of the wall, as another clear indicator that the fence is not a marking of a new boundary (so that no one could ever knock the wall and claim some of my garden, claiming the fence is the new boundary).

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2001/si/600/made/en/print#sched2

2m max height at rear of house. See class 5

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭DeWanderer

BryanF wrote: »

2m max height at rear of house. See class 5

Thanks. I was hoping that if it was fully on my side of the boundary (in my garden) that it could be higher. I'll have to rethink.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,968 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

DeWanderer wrote: »
    Thanks. I was hoping that if it was fully on my side of the boundary (in my garden) that it could be higher. I'll have to rethink.

If its fully on your side, then it's not a boundary wall......

Nothing stopping you from applying for permission, or retention permission

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I don't want to go in to specifics but basically neither us nor our children feel comfortable in our back garden.

Is the issue security or privacy ?
    sydthebeat wrote: »
    Nothing stopping you from applying for permission, or retention permission

If the "new neighbour and his friends" are as undesirableas the OP suggests, they might object

Is the issue security or privacy ?

If the "new neighbour and his friends" are as undesirableas the OP suggests, they might object

as they have the right to... everyone is the same in regards to their rights

thats doesnt at all mean that the development will be refused.

You can build a 3.0m high wall if youre building an extension and the neighbour cannot object, so there is no guarantee that a 3m high screen would be refused

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,013 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'm aware that the maximum height for a boundary wall or fence is 2 metres in between back gardens.
    That's the height without permission.

There is no maximum possible those.
    As suggested, app for permission and go higher if you need to.

If they are as undesirable as suggest they won't even notice the application going in

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭DeWanderer

Thanks for all of the replies. The main issue is privacy. Security hasn't become an issue, as of yet. I'll have a think about it and may go with 2m or put in an application for 2.5m or a bit higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 JackMN

Thanks for all of the replies. The main issue is privacy. Security hasn't become an issue, as of yet. I'll have a think about it and may go with 2m or put in an application for 2.5m or a bit higher.

Hi - what did you decide to do? I'm in a similar situation...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Doop

Mellor wrote: »
    That's the height without permission.

If they are as undesirable as suggest they won't even notice the application going in

I think the above is a very relevant point here... I doubt they would be bothered to inform themselves that your fence is too high... I also cant imagine the county council get many applications for boundary walls within housing estate back gardens.. yet many are over 2m... curious isnt it...;)

Furthermore would you plant something like bamboo which is fast growing and will provide further screening?

Doop wrote: »
    II also cant imagine the county council get many applications for boundary walls within housing estate back gardens.. yet many are over 2m... curious isnt it...;)
    Boundary walls as part of the original application are no limited to 2m. Only subsequent walls by owner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭golfhead

1. Is planning permission needed to build a wall higher than 2 metres even if your neighbours have no objection?

2. Is PP required if you want to build a 3m wall inside the boundary line and fully on your own property?

golfhead wrote: »
    1. Is planning permission needed to build a wall higher than 2 metres even if your neighbours have no objection?

2. Is PP required if you want to build a 3m wall inside the boundary line and fully on your own property?

1. Yes.

2. Yes.

On 2, the only way you can build a 3.0 m high wall is if it's part of an exempt extension

1. Yes.

2. Yes.

On 2, the only way you can build a 3.0 m high wall is if it's part of an exempt extension

What about a situation where the ground in one garden is higher than the other? I want to put up a fence that will be 2m tall as measured by my neighbour, but 2.3m tall measured from the garden on my side...

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

JackMN wrote: »
    What about a situation where the ground in one garden is higher than the other? I want to put up a fence that will be 2m tall as measured by my neighbour, but 2.3m tall measured from the garden on my side...

That would be a 2.3m fence on your side, so requires planning.

You can, AFAIK, build a fence on top of a berm, as long as the berm is less than 1m tall. But I could be wrong on that, I think the regs are worded so as to be a little vague as to where the measurement starts.

Lumen wrote: »
    That would be a 2.3m fence on your side, so requires planning.

You can, AFAIK, build a fence on top of a berm, as long as the berm is less than 1m tall. But I could be wrong on that, I think the regs are worded so as to be a little vague as to where the measurement starts.

Thanks. I've no experience of the process involved so forgive the question: could I put it up at 2.3m as measured from my side and then apply for retention permission, rather than waiting for planning permission to come through? Do you think I should do a section 5?

The 0.3m is the what I need to break eye level contact with the neighbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

What happens when the ground varies a lot on the two sides of the wall?

The height is measured from the lowest point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Woah that really is unfortunate. Thanks for the answer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

What about putting fencing on top of the wall?
    So say 500mm fence on a 2m wall?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Can you grow a bush or ivy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

TheW1zard wrote: »
    What about putting fencing on top of the wall?
    So say 500mm fence on a 2m wall?

Then that'd be 2.5 meters ....
    But as said above ,2 meter fence on a 1 meter eathen bank would probably be classes as 2 meters...

Plants growing up a 2 m fence could easy give you an extra 50 centimeters too... ( And break up a fence line so you don't feel walled in )

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

You apply for permission.

Planning is not a zero sum game

Do you have a reference for that?
    It may well exist, but I don't remember any restriction in schedule 2

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Reminds me of a neighbour years ago put two extra blocks on the walls in his back garden. I'm pretty sure the wall when finished was over 2m. No planning permission and I doubt anyone informed the council.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,160 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

1. Yes.

2. Yes.

what counts as an extension...

what counts as an extension...

There's no specific definition of extension in the regulations. But I'd have thought it's a fairly unambiguous term. Not sure what angle you are getting at.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,160 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

would just a wall count? (altough i see if over ground floor level it has to be at least 2m from any boundary, so kinda rules that out)

1d1c621ccf91ba970927407f9bc7b7a7.jpg

Mellor wrote: »
    Do you have a reference for that?
    It may well exist, but I don't remember any restriction in schedule 2
    If the ground undulates and the fence is straight, the fence will vary in height, and the highest part needs to comply.

If one part contravenes, it needs planning.

Unless you jigsaw the top of the fence...

Even varying the ground level is dodgy, ISTR something about "original ground level".

Of course one could just ask the council....

would just a wall count? (altough i see if over ground floor level it has to be at least 2m from any boundary, so kinda rules that out)

The ultimate planning hack is a 4m pitched roof single storey shed, 50cm deep, for example. That will cover 50m of boundary and is exempted development.

Due to the narrow depth the rear wall can be over 3.5m tall.

Your neighbours will love you...

• Advertisement

1d1c621ccf91ba970927407f9bc7b7a7.jpg

That wouldn't comply as it's not an extension. It's a wall external to the building

Advertisement