Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garda speed zones

Options
  • 24-05-2020 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hi all was just curious about the speed camera zones on the Garda website, are these just the zones that the go safe vans can operate in? I’m assuming the Gardaí can set up speed checks anywhere and these zones don’t apply to them? Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

correct. speed limits are enforceable on any public road in the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Don199

So the go safe vans must only operate in the zones as seen on the Garda website would I be correct in saying that? Otherwise the zones on the website are pointless

I understand the Guards can do a speed check anywhere.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

just don't speed, and the question is moot.

just don't speed, and the question is moot.

I don’t speed and don’t intend to was just curious that’s all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

It comes across more like an obsession. You're always asking about speeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

He just wants to know how to speed responsibly :P

• Registered Users Posts: 78,241 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Don199 wrote: »
    So the go safe vans must only operate in the zones as seen on the Garda website would I be correct in saying that?
    They only enforce in the zones. They can also be used anywhere for surveys.

Thought speed vans could operate wherever they wanted now? Was that not part of the rules being changed when they recently added a load of new roads that they're allowed to operate on (that they don't actually have to be signposted anymore)?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Thought speed vans could operate wherever they wanted now? Was that not part of the rules being changed when they recently added a load of new roads that they're allowed to operate on (that they don't actually have to be signposted anymore)?

Those two statements are incompatible. If speed cameras could now operate anywhere, there would be no need to add 'new roads' to the map because there would no longer be any map.

• Advertisement

coylemj wrote: »
    Those two statements are incompatible. If speed cameras could now operate anywhere, there would be no need to add 'new roads' to the map because there simply wouldn't be any need for a map.

Fair point. That's what typing too fast gets me. :o

I believe the zones they operate in no longer need to be signposted is what I was trying to say. And ham-fistedly trying to say they may aswell be able to operate anywhere now anyway with all the new roads added. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

i think they have to signed but as many are a dozen or more miles long, the signs are not too conspicuous anymore.

The new zones are not too logical anyway. The main route out of my town (almost straight) is not included but another route, on which it is close to impossible to speed is. Both R roads.

Isambard wrote: »
    i think they have to signed but as many are a dozen or more miles long, the signs are not too conspicuous anymore.

The new zones are not too logical anyway. The main route out of my town (almost straight) is not included but another route, on which it is close to impossible to speed is. Both R roads.
    The signs are being removed:
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/speed-cameras-in-operation-in-900-new-locations--but-warning-signs-removed-982153.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

i know that some signs are being removed, (many will be redundant) but not sure that implies all signs are being removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

It comes across more like an obsession. You're always asking about speeding.

I'd say he has a YouTube page one of these lads ranting and raving about the cameras.

Advertisement