Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are Amazon and Ebay the only places to buy DVDs of old movies?

• 31-05-2019 1:54pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭

I'm talking about movies that aren't on those Netflix those media servcies things. For such a long time now, I've wanted to watch certain movies I've had in mind. I know I can watch them all online for free. But, it's not the same being sat in a desk chair... and there's always those loading issues.

Something like 'One Flew Over the Cuckoos Next' for example.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭Problem Of Motivation

_blaaz wrote: »
    No good. Typed in a few names and got no results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

No good. Typed in a few names and got no results.

Ring few of the job lots and see if they have em

Cant expect someone to list maybe 50 to 60 titles

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Charity shops usually have tons of DVDs/CDs/vinyl records.

Many older movies were never released on DVD either so vhs is your best bet

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭oLoonatic

Tower records or golden discs???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Cex have a lot of cheap DVDs, if you're not near a store try their website.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

Don't know what other people's opinions on this crowd are, but I buy stuff sometimes from Music Magpie in the UK. All very cheap.

They've even got One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, for £2.49. Even better, seems it's part of a 'buy one, get one free' promo -
    https://store.musicmagpie.co.uk/products/one-flew-over-the-cuckoo-s-nest-1975-dvd

They don't actually ship to Ireland, so it means you need to use Parcel Motel or similar. And sometimes, if I've ordered say six items, they'll send them out in maybe three lots of two items each, so you end up paying the Parcel Motel fee three times instead of just one. But the way I look at it is that even with having to pay the extra Parcel Motel fees, the things still work out cheap enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

oLoonatic wrote: »
    Tower records or golden discs???

Golden Discs used to be able to order in things they didn't have in stock, not sure if they can still do it though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

Dealz usually stock a rack of random DVD's/blu rays for cheap. I think you'd have to be very lucky to find anything specific however. I don't think there's much demand for bricks and mortar video shops anymore as you say amazon/eBay are usually an easier way to find exactly what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭airmax87

ie.webuy.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Tower records sell dvds.

Most small independent record stores do also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Your local library

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

CEX

Tower records sell dvds.

Most small independent record stores do also.
    I'm not after common DVDs though.

Tower records might be worth a shot.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,242 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I'm not after common DVDs though.

Tower records might be worth a shot.

CEX is by far your best bet.

https://ie.webuy.com/product-detail?id=7321900374637&categoryName=feature-films&superCatName=film-tv&title=one-flew-over-the-cuckoos-nest-se-%2818%29

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest is currently a whopping €1.

airmax87 wrote: »
    ie.webuy.com
    Where are they shipped from? I wouldn't want it to be those DVDs from the U.S that don't work here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The Pound shops in the UK have great selections of them for £1 if you are ever over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Where are they shipped from? I wouldn't want it to be those DVDs from the U.S that don't work here.

Their retail stores around the country in Ireland. Be warned, they changed their shipping rate from €5 flat rate to €1.50 per DVD. Could add up. At the same time though, some of the movies are as little as 10 cent.

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Where could I find 'Strngers When We Meet'? I can't find it on that website.

sugarman wrote: »
    Looks to be a rare dvd with that has a limited release, don't think it was released in Europe either.
    I think I'm going to buy this one, seeing as it's the only place I can buy it. The only thing I'm concerned about is that it say "region: all regions"

I hope that means it'll play in a DVD player here!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Strangers-When-Meet-NTSC-Region/dp/B07SPVX3BF/ref=tmm_dvd_title_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I'm talking about movies that aren't on those Netflix those media servcies things. For such a long time now, I've wanted to watch certain movies I've had in mind. I know I can watch them all online for free. But, it's not the same being sat in a desk chair... and there's always those loading issues.

Something like 'One Flew Over the Cuckoos Next' for example.

There are special collectors sites.

I don't know any of them by name though sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,350 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I got my brother a rare DVD of Gulag a TV movie from the mid eighties through this crowd Raredvds.biz, hopefully they might have stuff your after.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Charity shops usually have tons of DVDs/CDs/vinyl records.

Many older movies were never released on DVD either so vhs is your best bet

A lot of old movies were released on DVD primarily because costs were so low. Many never made it to BD or online.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's nest was released and widely available on DVD. OP should be able to pick it up 2nd hand in either a charity shop or CEX.

Yeah It says all regions but it also says NTSC a number of times. I'd chance it, Amazon are good with refunds.

I'm just a bit nervous about who I'm buying it off. It reminds me of Chinese scammers. They'd happily sell you the DVD knowing it doesn't work, and by the time I'll send it back by registered post, it'll get lost or I'll forget about it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/sp?_encoding=UTF8&asin=&isAmazonFulfilled=&isCBA=&marketplaceID=A1F83G8C2ARO7P&orderID=&seller=A3MNB9EP00C6T5&tab=&vasStoreID=

What do you think?

Yeah It says all regions but it also says NTSC a number of times. I'd chance it, Amazon are good with refunds.
    Thanks,

Think I might go with this one. It says "All DVDs are Region Free NTSC (North American) format unless otherwise specified."

And does that look like a fake address?

Business Address:
    47-19, Sanduro 273beon-gil, Ilsandong-go
    Goyang-si, Gyeonggi-do
    Goyang-sity
    Gyeonggi-do
    KR

https://www.amazon.co.uk/sp?_encoding=UTF8&asin=&isAmazonFulfilled=&isCBA=&marketplaceID=A1F83G8C2ARO7P&orderID=&seller=A3MNB9EP00C6T5&tab=&vasStoreID=

I got my brother a rare DVD of Gulag a TV movie from the mid eighties through this crowd Raredvds.biz, hopefully they might have stuff your after.
    Thanks

What were the shipping charges like?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Tesco might have it.

I think their dvd collection is by golden discs, so why not try them directly. They have a website.

The IFI in temple bar has a shop.

Tower records in Eason O'Connell Street and standalone on Dawson Street are another option.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I think I'm going to buy this one, seeing as it's the only place I can buy it. The only thing I'm concerned about is that it say "region: all regions"

I hope that means it'll play in a DVD player here!
    If you use something like VLC or media player on a computer it skips the region check.

Those menus would drive you to piracy. It's got to the stage where I stick the DVD in and go watch something else for a few minutes and then switch back to the DVD. At this stage it might be quicker to pirate a DVD then sit through those ads :mad:

Maybe someone has entered the unlock region code for your DVD player ?

Advertisement