Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part IV - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

• 29-05-2020 9:52pm
    Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,158 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

4th thread and not yet into Phase 2.....

Part I
    Part II
    Part III

All warnings and threadbans carry over. Please PM the mod issuing a threadban if you wish to discuss options for being allowed to post again

Mod warnings
    Beasty wrote: »
    It looks like tensions in this thread have been rising

Some general warnings to all:

Remain civil. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Just because it's the polar opposite of your own does not invalidate it. Anyone who is uncivil towards other users can expect a minimum of a threadban.

Keep to the topic

Do not present "opinion" as "fact"

Do not believe all stats that are spouted. Usually figures presented in any official way are not only checked for inaccuracies, but will also have caveats and/or explanations of what was done to derive any conclusions reached. Stats though are not "facts" beyond the sample they represent. They can be used to draw conclusions over wider populations, but those conclusions are always subject to a margin of error

If you throw up an example please explain what point you are making. For example "Look at Sweden" means nothing unless you say what you are looking at in connection with Sweden. Is it restrictions, is it deaths, is it infections?
    Beasty wrote: »
    Another reminder - this thread is about restrictions and their relaxation

General Covid discussion belongs in the current Covid thread (#XVII)

Political discussion belongs in Current Affairs or Politics

Threadbans:
    housemouse
    Plumbthedepths - lifted 19/07/20
    Cupatae
    CtevenSrowder
    Unelected CMO
    Risteard81
    trapp
    RugbyLad11
    normanoffside
    Jimmy Garlic
    alwald - lifted 16/05/20
    Jinglejangle69
    easypazz
    snowcat
    Spanish Eyes - lifted 09/06/20
    ziggyman17
    ShineOn7
    JoeExotic81
    The_Dazzler
    lawrencesummers
    LiquidZeb
    gral6

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,258 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

#Stayhomesavelives

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Openupsavewmorelives

• Registered Users Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭growleaves

I think the pro-restrictions crowd need their own anthem. Here is an appropriate tune:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,152 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Now for the anti-distancing crowd...if my true love she will not come, I will surely find another / And we'll all go together, to pull wild mountain thyme / Will you go, lassie, go?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,152 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

estimates of effective R rates in regions of the UK, Northern Ireland still around about 1...

https://i.redd.it/tb1bon33kn151.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

The lockdown needs to be ended now and people need to go back to work. There was some degree of merit to the lockdown six weeks ago when we didn't know how this virus was going to behave but now it has become clear that this virus is not going to be serious to the vast majority of people.

Work on effective treatments/vaccines should be focused on the vulnerable and at risk groups. The fact of the matter is which I believe is very wrong is that the healthy are being protected to same degree that the vulnerable are.

MAINER VS. PRITZKER, The Honorable Michael D McHaney, chief judge (Illinois)
    Before I rule, I'm advising everybody in this room, no public outbursts or displays. The court is still in session until you are told otherwise.

Since the inception of this insanity, the following regulations, rules or consequences have occurred: I won't get COVID if I get an abortion but I will get COVID if I get a colonoscopy. Selling pot is essential but selling goods and services at a family-owned business is not. Pot wasn't even legal and pot dispensaries didn't even exist in this state until five months ago and, in that five months, they have become essential but a family-owned business in existence for five generations is not.

A family of six can pile in their car and drive to Carlyle Lake without contracting COVID but, if they all get in the same boat, they will. We are told that kids rarely contract the virus and sunlight kills it, but summer youth programs, sports programs are cancelled. Four people can drive to the golf course and not get COVID but, if they play in a foursome, they will. If I go to Walmart, I won't get COVID but, if I go to church, I will. Murderers are released from custody while small business owners are threatened with arrest if they have the audacity to attempt to feed their families.

These are just a few of examples of rules, regulations and consequences that are arbitrary, capricious, and completely devoid of anything even remotely approaching common sense.
    Doctors and experts say different things weekly. The defendant cites models in his opposition. The only thing experts will agree on is that all models are wrong and some are useful. The Centers for Disease Control now says the virus is not easily spread on surfaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭Polar101

estimates of effective R rates in regions of the UK, Northern Ireland still around about 1...

Hopefully it has gone down a bit since (the 18th).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭uli84

The amount of public money wasted starting from printing leaflets and delivering them to houses and ending at paying the private hospitals for staying empty is mind boggling. They could (and should) have been put to some good use instead, those making decisions should be made accountable.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭seamusk84

So what potential phase three measures might Leo might bring forward to phase two at the press conference this Friday?
    An earlier reopening date for the restaurants and cafes? I predict so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Penfailed

https://i.redd.it/tb1bon33kn151.jpg

Apparently the north coast is even higher than 1. I'm not sure if there's a higher distribution of nursing homes in that area...

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,838 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

uli84 wrote: »
    The amount of public money wasted starting from printing leaflets and delivering them to houses and ending at paying the private hospitals for staying empty is mind boggling. They could (and should) have been put to some good use instead, those making decisions should be made accountable.

we only ever get them in Irish, I didn't know D4 was a Gaeltacht area :pac:

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Penfailed

silverharp wrote: »
    we only ever get them in Irish, I didn't know D4 was a Gaeltacht area :pac:

We got three in total...two as Gaeilge agus amhain as Bearla.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Penfailed wrote: »
    We got three in total...two as Gaeilge agus amhain as Bearla.

I got none ! In any language :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Cushtie

What a beautiful day! I dont think there are enough Gardai in the county to man the checkpoints to stop people making a break for it today and over the weekend. And rightly so.

Enough is enough. Time to get the Country opened back up faster.

I'm taking my family to the sea side today. Its about 30 min drive away and if I get stopped so be it. We had chicken pox in the house before this. So the kids have not been outside the house since mid Feb.
    I have a son with special needs who so misses his special school and routine. I can see a huge change in him over the last few weeks.

We did our bit., now it's time for the boys in Dublin to wake up and open up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,999 ✭✭✭prunudo

Just listening to BBC, the UK numbers are still very high, over 300 deaths and 2000 new cases yesterday. Yet we're giving them a free pass but expecting people to quarantine from other countries. Our restrictions are too severe for the low level of cases we have but it would appear we are having an excessively drawn out opening due to the cta. We should be siding with our EU counterparts not the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

Need to enforce it or call it a day. Minimal social distancing going on in a lot of parts of dublin.

Cycling from Stephens green up by cabra to navan road yesterday and it was like a normal day. Shops in town with seated areas with 5 and 6 to a table, large groups in Phoenix Park playing tag and messing about, 20 or more drinking on most locks along the canal.

It's a kick in the teeth to people like my parents who have not seen their grandchildren in almost 3 months, or the family who only had 10 people at their sons funeral.

Stop pretending the majority is obeying the guidelines.
    Bring in large fines. Hand out enough of them to make the risk not worth it.

That or just call it a day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

Cushtie wrote: »
    What a beautiful day! I dont think there are enough Gardai in the county to man the checkpoints to stop people making a break for it today and over the weekend. And rightly so.

I'm taking my family to the sea side today. Its about 30 min drive away and if I get stopped so be it. We had chicken pox in the house before this. So the kids have not been outside the house since mid Feb.
    I have a son with special needs who so misses his special school and routine. I can see a huge change in him over the last few weeks.

Have a great day.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Cushtie wrote: »

Just watch out, it’s not the roads they’ll stop you on this weekend.

https://dublingazette.com/news/gardai-plan-beach-patrols-over-bank-holiday-weekend/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

prunudo wrote: »
    Just listening to BBC, the UK numbers are still very high, over 300 deaths and 2000 new cases yesterday. Yet we're giving them a free pass but expecting people to quarantine from other countries. Our restrictions are too severe for the low level of cases we have but it would appear we are having an excessively drawn out opening due to the cta. We should be siding with our EU counterparts not the UK.

This is also ruining Irish people’s chances of travelling anywhere:

‘Croatia, another country heavily dependent on tourism, is allowing visitors from 10 countries from June 15th. They are Germany, Austria, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Poland, Hungary, Slovenia, Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania.’

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/irish-tourists-excluded-from-visiting-greece-and-croatia-1.4266161?mode=amp

Why are the Irish being punished by either other European countries or our own authorities? We are stuck in a measly 5km and (2km prior) zone for weeks. If we’re aligning with the U.K., align with their reopening schedule too:
    No kilometre restriction on travel.
    Country reopened by early July.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

The lockdown is already over in a lot of ways, in people's minds. Our beautiful local beach has been very busy all week, with all the rubbish and litter that goes along with it. Dread to think what it will be like this weekend. But people for better are worse are fed up and the good weather will draw them to public places and beauty spots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

seamusk84 wrote: »
    So what potential phase three measures might Leo might bring forward to phase two at the press conference this Friday?
    An earlier reopening date for the restaurants and cafes? I predict so.

What he should do

- announce that through the efforts of the people we have effectively beaten the virus but need to remain vigilant as there are still risks.
    - apologise on behalf of the State for the deaths that arose in the nursing homes. There will be a formal enquiry on this.
    - apologise to the health staff on the lack of PPE and undertake to ensure that the State has sufficient supplies in case of another outbreak (these will be sourced domestically).
    - open up nearly everything except still encourage home working for those who can. Beginning on 15th June.
    - open up nearly everything means every business who can safely apply 1 metre social distancing + services like hairdressing, barbers etc.
    - local authorities to take on some enforcement rules - if a business does not follow the rules it should be shut down. Target the businesses who misbehave rather than close all within the sectors.
    - strongly encourage personal health measures to be maintained. Messaging needs to focus on this.
    - remove any restrictions on travel (domestic from 8 June and within the EU from 1 July) but indicate that there will be temp checks and random testing in our airports.
    - enhanced Covid payment and job protection to be maintained for anyone who is diagnosed with the virus. An incentive for testing. Employers will need to take responsibility in their workplaces.
    - masks to be required on public transport.

What he is likely to do -

- tell us that we need to stick to the plan. NPhet have advised. But as a reward he will lift the distance from 5km to 20km from 8 June.

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    Need to enforce it or call it a day. Minimal social distancing going on in a lot of parts of dublin.

Cycling from Stephens green up by cabra to navan road yesterday and it was like a normal day. Shops in town with seated areas with 5 and 6 to a table, large groups in Phoenix Park playing tag and messing about, 20 or more drinking on most locks along the canal.

It's a kick in the teeth to people like my parents who have not seen their grandchildren in almost 3 months, or the family who only had 10 people at their sons funeral.

Stop pretending the majority is obeying the guidelines.
    Bring in large fines. Hand out enough of them to make the risk not worth it.

That or just call it a day.

I would say call it a day as we’ve all been in lockdown for weeks, given no light at the end of the tunnel, destroying our economy, ruining our population’s mental health, discriminating against children on a regular basis and have minimal cases and deaths.
    People need to just take matters into their own hands and mind their families. I’ve been to the beach and am going back again, it was packed. No one was obeying 5km but everyone was happy, children were playing and delighted to be out, and the sea was beautiful for a swim.

I would say call it a day as we’ve all been in lockdown for weeks, given no light at the end of the tunnel, destroying our economy, ruining our populations mental health, discriminating against children on a regular basis and have minimal cases and deaths.
    People need to just take matters into their own hands and mind their families. I’ve been to the beach and am going back again, it was packed. No one was obeying 5km but everyone was happy, children were playing and delighted to be out, and the sea was beautiful for a swim.

I disagree. You are disrespectful to people who obey the rules and have a conscience towards themselves, their families and others.

A virus cares not a jot about you or your family or their mental health, it just does what it does, gets passed around and kills some people.

But thats neither here or there. People like you will flout sense and reason if big fines are not handed out so I do agree to end it, if it's not enforced properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭nickkinneg

Its reported man onboard flight to lanzarote got a positive result while onboard the plane - 140 people quarantined - The man now faces prosecution for skipping quarantine and the State of Emergency and has been reported for a possible crime against public health - this does not bode well

I disagree. You are disrespectful to people who obey the rules and have a conscience towards themselves, their families and others.

A virus cares not a jot about you or your family or their mental health, it just does what it does, gets passed around and kills some people.

But thats neither here or there. People like you will flout sense and reason if big fines are not handed out so I do agree to end it, if it's not enforced properly.

I see, so all the children and young families should’ve gotten fines for enjoying the beach...what it showed me is the ‘polls’ we saw this week were pure rubbish. Irish people quietly speak with their feet.
    Happy June Bank Holiday. Enjoy the laptop and the indoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,999 ✭✭✭prunudo

No, 'people like you' should stay at home if you're that afraid of catching the virus. In my county you can count on one hand the number of cases the last 2 weeks. Why should every business owner and worker who is not allowed work be made suffer for such a low risk. The large majority have done everything that has been asked over the last 3 months. Its time to open up.

Micheyleari's post above is on the money on how we should proceed from here.

• Advertisement

I see, so all the children and young families should’ve gotten fines for enjoying the beach...what it showed me is the ‘polls’ we saw this week were pure rubbish. Irish people quietly speak with their feet.
    Happy June Bank Holiday. Enjoy the laptop and the indoors.

Of course not, just the parents. it's not the children fault.

Enjoy being a spreader and disrespecting everyone who is trying and cares.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement