Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Regulation on Public Documents

• 02-08-2020 11:30am

I'm planning on applying for Irish citizenship by naturalisation. A certified copy of my original civil birth certificate, and a copy of a translation into
    English is required. I was born in Lithuanian so my birth certificate is in Lithuanian. On the website they mention that public documents and their certified copies are exempt from legalisation and the apostille formality within the EU. I know that my birth certificate will have to be certified regardless, but what about the translation part? This where the confusion begins, at least for me. On the European e-justice portal it says"Where an EU country permits the presentation of a certified copy of a public document instead of the original, the authorities of that EU country must accept a certified copy made in the EU country where the public document was issued". From what I can understand, INIS would have to accept a certified copy of my birth cert from the Lithuanian authorities. But this isn't practical, since I don't have a certified copy from them unless the Lithuanian embassy can issue one on behalf of the public notary. The portal also mentions "The Regulation abolishes the obligation for citizens to provide a translation of their public document. If the public document is not in one of the official languages of the EU country requesting the document, citizens can ask for a multilingual standard form, available in all EU languages, from the authorities of the EU country which issued the public document. This form can be attached to the public document to avoid translation requirements." Basically, from what I can tell, I can request the Lithuanian authorties to issue a translation using the multilingual standard form.
    Might seem like a lot of hassle, but it does sound appealing to pop in into the embassy and walk out with the certified copy and translation for a few euro. Any idea if this will work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,050 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

My guess is that it will not work. You will need to approach the government body/office/whatever in Lithuania that issues the document - e.g., for a birth certificate, the Lithuanian equivalent of the Registrar of Births, Marriages and Deaths.

Advertisement