Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best rust treatment/rust neutraliser?

• 27-12-2019 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭

Hello All
    Can anyone recommend the best underbody rust Treatment or rust Neutraliser on the market from their experience? I'm dealing with chassis rust that in some places has progressed to the flaking stage but has not yet eaten through the steel.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I found the Bilt Hamber stuff about the best rust "converter" and the easiest of the anti rust waxes to use and apply. Seems to last longer than others too.

Of the rust treatments out there, no matter the brand, they all only penetrate and neutralise a very thin layer of rust. So on a flakey section yes it'll turn the very top level black, but the rest of the corrosion will continue on rusting away underneath. It'll form somewhat of a barrier to water and oxygen, but the rust will come back.

TBH I only use it when I've removed all the visible rust with wire brushes, sandpaper, grinder etc. Once back to bare metal I'll add some just in case I've missed some microscopic corrosion, then hit the bare metal with high zinc percentage primer then topcoat(two pack of both much better, but mostly for the pros).

So if it were me I'd grind off all the rust I can see, hit the steel with some rust converter, followed by the zinc primer, followed by topcoat and when dry I'd fill the internal chassis parts I could reach with anti rust wax. And check it every summer.

My two cents anyway PB.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Peterbilt

Okay, thanks a mill for that Wibbs. It's a SsangYong Rexton 4x4 2006 with ladder frame chassis that I'm just after buying. Chassis is okay toward front but rust setting now in rear sections, especially where spare wheel fits underneath. Don't know why they don't just zinc dip the bare metal chassis as part of manufacturing process.

Advertisement