Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mark Cagney's Nightrain (2FM in the 80s)

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

The last 3 posts from "Await Your Reply" were very informative and, in some cases, were a trip down memory lane for me!

I did not know about Phil Cawley's involvement with Easy in Wicklow. He also did a stint with Wexford's South East Radio. He was a busy man along the east coast!

Mark Cagney was indeed with Cork Local Radio and, for a brief period, overlapped with Radio 2. He was headhunted from the cork pirates for Cork Local Radio - this is true!

Thanks Declan for your kind compliments - I had no idea about Phil Cawley's local radio career myself to be honest until I decided twas worth researching a bio courtesy of our friend Google! Maxi & Co (anchored by Maxi of Maxi, Dick & Twink fame) used incorporate regional opt-outs around the country as I recall a Cork link each week during the show but I forget who used to front the segment. I know other links were made to other regional centres too before returning to Maxi at Montrose HQ. If memory serves me correct Maxi & Co. used air on Sunday mornings from 11:00am to 1:00pm.

Ah RTÉ Cork Local Radio would have thrived in it's early days when we had no legal Irish commercial radio stations broadcasting before 1989 apart from the pirate radio stations like South Coast Radio and E.R.I. and others in Cork and you had other pirate stations in the other large urban centres like Dublin, Limerick, Galway, Waterford and so on. Below is a tribute to RTÉ Radio Cork which I understand was closed down altogether in January, 2000.

https://www.thecork.ie/2015/05/31/video-do-you-remember-rte-radio-cork/
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RT%C3%89_Radio_Cork
    https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/closure-of-radio-cork-1.288923
    http://homepage.eircom.net/~fm_radio/cork729.html

Some of us used tune in to BBC Radio One for a first chance to hear the latest Top Twenty/Top Thirty/Top Forty Charts music as published late Sunday afternoons before viewing same on Top Of The Pops on the following Thursday night at 7:20pm on RTÉ2 tv/BBC1 tv.

In those days, Medium Wave band carried more english language services from RTÉ Radio 1, RTÉ Radio 2, BBC Radio One, BBC Radio Two, Radio Luxembourg from 7:00pm etc; BBC Radio 4 on LW 198 kHz.

I used recall Gerry Ryan's handover to Mark Cagney some nights as I think NightTrain may have started at 11:50pm at one point before eventually waiting until after the 12Midnight news was carried. Ha - sometimes the handover to the news was met with silence and the presenter would have to come back on air before handing over again to news or next presenter. I'm sure I've seen radio listings in the past showing 11:50pm so this may been intended to provide NightTrain a full two hours broadcast slot given that RTÉ Radio 2 was required by ministerial order to closedown it's station by 01:50am sharp each morning in the days before the station was granted a licence to broadcast 24hrs. The extended broadcasting hours on RTÉ Radio only came about as the IRTC (later evolved into the BCI and now BAI) would be permitting most if not all of the independent commercial stations 24hrs broadcast licences.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Dave Fanning has said in many interviews that the reason Radio 2 closed down at 01:50am, was to allow the RTE engineers working on the radio programmes time to pack up and go home at 2am.

There was another programme similar to Maxi & Co. It was called "New voices" on a Saturday morning in 1988..This show gave new up and coming Radio 2 presenters a chance to broadcast on their own (i.e.: without a co-presenter such as Maxi)...some stayed (such as Mike Ryan) on Radio 2 and naturally others didn't.

https://stillslibrary.rte.ie/indexplus/result.html?_IXMAXHITS_=1&_IXACTION_=query&_IXFIRST_=1&_IXSR_=N58duuCdqBT&_IXSS_=_IXMAXHITS_%3d10%26_IXFPFX_%3dtemplates%252ft%26_IXFIRST_%3d1%26%252asform%3d%252fweb%252fsearch_forms%252fadvanced%26%2524%253dsi%3dtext%26_IXACTION_%3dquery%26_IXINITSR_%3dy%26%2524%253dsort%3dsort%2bdescending%2bsortexpr%2bimage_sort%26search%3dsearch%26%252aiexe%2bSECURITY_filter%3d%252e%26%2524%253ds%3dnew%2bvoices%2b1988%26text_search_context%3dnew%2bvoices%2b1988%26%253cphoto_taken_date_earliest%3d&_IXSPFX_=templates%2ft&_IXFPFX_=templates%2ft

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭robo

Great thread lads - loving the memories & history of radio in the 80's! There are some posts in here that should be put into the thread about Radio Memories

Dave Fanning has said in many interviews that the reason Radio 2 closed down at 01:50am, was to allow the RTE engineers working on the radio programmes time to pack up and go home at 2am.

There was another programme similar to Maxi & Co. It was called "New voices" on a Saturday morning in 1988..This show gave new up and coming Radio 2 presenters a chance to broadcast on their own (i.e.: without a co-presenter such as Maxi)...some stayed (such as Mike Ryan) on Radio 2 and naturally others didn't.

https://stillslibrary.rte.ie/indexplus/result.html?_IXMAXHITS_=1&_IXACTION_=query&_IXFIRST_=1&_IXSR_=N58duuCdqBT&_IXSS_=_IXMAXHITS_%3d10%26_IXFPFX_%3dtemplates%252ft%26_IXFIRST_%3d1%26%252asform%3d%252fweb%252fsearch_forms%252fadvanced%26%2524%253dsi%3dtext%26_IXACTION_%3dquery%26_IXINITSR_%3dy%26%2524%253dsort%3dsort%2bdescending%2bsortexpr%2bimage_sort%26search%3dsearch%26%252aiexe%2bSECURITY_filter%3d%252e%26%2524%253ds%3dnew%2bvoices%2b1988%26text_search_context%3dnew%2bvoices%2b1988%26%253cphoto_taken_date_earliest%3d&_IXSPFX_=templates%2ft&_IXFPFX_=templates%2ft

Haha Nothing would surprise me as 01:50am was such an odd time to closedown - Of course in those days the flagship national radio station RTÉ Radio 1 would have probably closed with the National Anthem playing out at 11:48pm after the late news headlines so the engineers probably wanted to be out the gap by the top of the hour again here! It gradually shifted towards 12:48am close (engineers out by 01:00am) before the station eventually went 24hrs.

Mike was Gerry Ryan's younger brother and Larry Gogan had his son Gerard Gogan who also worked at 2FM.
    https://www.rsvplive.ie/news/tv-film/gallery/larry-gogan-13829361

I have a vague memory of "New Voices" in the schedule. Perhaps Cork DJ Michael Cahill (the kid) came out of this experiment at finding new presenter talent and Limerick based Will Leahy also springs to mind. Incidentally, the first time I recall Peter Collins may have been doing a regional link to the West of Ireland as part of Maxi & Co. but I may be wrong on this? Peter Collins did a breakfast club weekend show with Theresa Lowe too if I recall and 12's on 2 which was 12inch only music releases and of course The BeatBox video request show which was a 2FM/Network2 TV simulcast.

Meanwhile, I wonder if Mark Cagney will seek a return to Radio broadcasting following his imminent departure from Virgin Media One Television breakfast show: Ireland AM?

robo wrote: »
    Great thread lads - loving the memories & history of radio in the 80's! There are some posts in here that should be put into the thread about Radio Memories

Good suggestion as I'm guilty of going off topic from time to time.

I seem to have forgotten where to find "Radio Memories" here on Boards.ie?

Do you have a direct link to the thread you referenced or is this a unique category or sub-category of it's own?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭robo

Good suggestion as I'm guilty of going off topic from time to time.

I seem to have forgotten where to find "Radio Memories" here on Boards.ie?

Do you have a direct link to the thread you referenced or is this a unique category or sub-category of it's own?

Not sure if there is such a thread but maybe its worth creating it and popping a lot of the great stories from this one into it. I nearly missed them all as didn't think there was much in this thread about old radio, but thought there was more about Mark's Virgin Media career....I was sooooo wrong :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

robo wrote: »
    Not sure if there is such a thread but maybe its worth creating it and popping a lot of the great stories from this one into it. I nearly missed them all as didn't think there was much in this thread about old radio, but thought there was more about Mark's Virgin Media career....I was sooooo wrong :cool:

Last posted entry on the below Radio Memories thread seems to be dated: 29/01/2015 which surprised me as it's 4½ years ago!

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055903733&page=9

As reported on the Newstalk Breakfast thread: Mark Cagney is filling-in all this week for Shane Coleman on NewsTalk Breakfast Show. Cagney has always had a great voice for radio presentation down through the years from RTÉ Radio 2FM, Classic Hits 98FM, Today fm and now NewsTalk albeit as a relief presenter.
    That said, if I was to make one observation, the two voices (i.e.) Kieran Cuddihy & Mark Cagney both sound too similar while hosting the same programme. Not smart rostering from a listener perspective and no offence to either presenter intended. It would have been better to use someone different and perhaps if Kieran Cuddihy goes on holiday leave, Cagney would fill-in for Cuddihy and would sound better alongside Shane Coleman. Just my tuppence worth. Cagney obviously still willing to do radio work which is interesting after his recent retirement from Ireland AM on Virgin Media One (TV3).

• Advertisement

Cagney has not been on the radio airwaves since 1999 (Today FM),. How radio has changed for the worst since !!

He was a guest on the Ray D'Arcy show today on Radio 1. Must have been the first time he has been on 2 radio stations in the one day!!

I doubt he will return to TV.

Cagney has not been on the radio airwaves since 1999 (Today FM),. How radio has changed for the worst since !!

He was a guest on the Ray D'Arcy show today on Radio 1. Must have been the first time he has been on 2 radio stations in the one day!!

I doubt he will return to TV.

I presume Mark Cagney is putting himself back out there for radio work if he has chosen to do relief work on NewsTalk Breakfast all this week. Of course he was originally a night owl from his Radio 2FM Night Train days for many years but has been an early morning riser over the last 20 years. He only finished Ireland AM at end July so not been away from broadcasting for long. I wonder where he will land a more regular radio gig OR; will Cagney become a more permanent fixture on NewsTalk Breakfast as initially they would have had 4-5 presenters when the current format was rebooted i.e. (Shane Coleman, Paul Williams, Alan Quinlan & Colette Fitzpatrick in addition to Vincent Wall on Business.

Listeners to NewsTalk reacted positively on social media to Cagney's input on NewsTalk Breakfast according to the below article on the Irish Examiner online today.

Source:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/entertainment/fans-delight-as-mark-cagney-makes-his-debut-on-newstalk-breakfast-show-944997.html

Advertisement