Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gap between front teeth

Options
  • 02-04-2021 9:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Just back from my dentist and we discussed the gap between my front 2 teeth. I have veneers and rather than just replacing them he has recommended inman aligner treatment. He thinks this will solve the underlying problem rather than replacing the veneers for it to happen again. Is this a good plan?

I am concerned about a little black triangle that has formed at the front. He thinks Inman aligners would help to reduce this too but I am unconvinced. What do you think? Is gum grafting an option if this does not work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

If you replace the veneers to close gap, consider:

• Will the space open again?
    • Do you really want wider veneers? Check the proportions of your current veneers relative to adjacent teeth and think how wider veneers would look.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Iwantcoffeenai

Dav010 wrote: »
    If you replace the veneers to close gap, consider:

• Will the space open again?
    • Do you really want wider veneers? Check the proportions of your current veneers relative to adjacent teeth and think how wider veneers would look.

I think that's why he suggested inman aligner as it could be a biting issue that has caused this. The bottom 2 teeth below also have a gap so both gap would close with an aligner. As I said the only issue is the potential black triangle left behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

Have you heard of bonding ? your dentist can advise

I had awful teeth and gaps and went for braces but apparently wasn't a suitable client for them and was referred for bonding instead

It saved me an absolute bond and the results were great

Can’t bond to a porcelain veneer, also, making teeth wider with composite bonding will give the op two huge front teeth.

wally1990 wrote: »
    Have you heard of bonding ? your dentist can advise

I had awful teeth and gaps and went for braces but apparently wasn't a suitable client for them and was referred for bonding instead

It saved me an absolute bond and the results were great

I don't think it is an option with veneers

• Advertisement

Can’t bond to a porcelain veneer, also, making teeth wider with composite bonding will give the op two huge front teeth.

If the gap did not fill in after aligners would a small gum graft be an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 shil.mar

No need for gum graft and bonding will not be a good idea.
    If they done this veneers correct, maybe If you have graft loss it may be better to have monolithic crowns than veneers. bridges (monolithic crowns) will be more stable. But sure every dentist have their way and can not say for sure without examination.

shil.mar wrote: »
    No need for gum graft and bonding will not be a good idea.
    If they done this veneers correct, maybe If you have graft loss it may be better to have monolithic crowns than veneers. bridges (monolithic crowns) will be more stable. But sure every dentist have their way and can not say for sure without examination.

Bridges are used to replace missing teeth, not close small gaps. Joining the two crowns to close the inter proximal space would make it virtually impossible to clean between front teeth and increase the risk of gum disease/decay. Increasing the width of the central incisors using any prostheses will affect aesthetics, closing the space but increasing the size of the teeth.

Bridges are used to replace missing teeth, not close small gaps. Joining the two crowns to close the inter proximal space would make it virtually impossible to clean between front teeth and increase the risk of gum disease/decay. Increasing the width of the central incisors using any prostheses will affect aesthetics, closing the space but increasing the size of the teeth.

So does closing the gap with an inman aligner (possibly with a little IPR) and then if a small gap remains replacing the veneers sound like a sensible plan?

Think I will get a second opinion from another dentist.

So does closing the gap with an inman aligner (possibly with a little IPR) and then if a small gap remains replacing the veneers sound like a sensible plan?

Think I will get a second opinion from another dentist.

It is difficult to see from the photo you posted, it looks to me as if your two front teeth are slightly in front of the teeth beside them. It also appears as if the two front teeth are slightly too big relative to your other teeth. So, if you want to improve alignment/space/tooth proportions, discuss with an orthodontist, ask if front teeth can be brought into better alignment with adjacent teeth, they may shave a little off sides of existing veneers while doing this, then when alignment is improved, replace veneers with slightly narrower ones which also correct the space between your front teeth.

End result = no space between front teeth, better alignment of front teeth, smaller veneers which have dimensions more like adjacent teeth = ideal cosmetics.

• Advertisement

It is difficult to see from the photo you posted, it looks to me as if your two front teeth are slightly in front of the teeth beside them. It also appears as if the two front teeth are slightly too big relative to your other teeth. So, if you want to improve alignment/space/tooth proportions, discuss with an orthodontist, ask if front teeth can be brought into better alignment with adjacent teeth, they may shave a little off sides of existing veneers while doing this, then when alignment is improved, replace veneers with slightly narrower ones which also correct the space between your front teeth.

End result = no space between front teeth, better alignment of front teeth, smaller veneers which have dimensions more like adjacent teeth = ideal cosmetics.

I would obviously be delighted with that result. I agree with you about the size of my front teeth being slightly too big. My front two teeth are also not in line with my other teeth like you say.

I have paid a deposit to my dentist for the inman aligners and am meeting him in 3 weeks time to discuss them. He seemed to suggest when I initially talked to him that you could do nothing if a black triangle remains (no mention of IPR). I will suggest to him about new veneers. My veneers are 10 years old so they are going to be replaced at some point in the not too distant future anyway.

I am still going to get a second opinion though. I am not happy walking around with a black hole between my teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭park500

How long are the veneers there and why were they fitted?
    Was there originally a gap between those teeth,did you have braces at any stage?
    A aligner is a good way of closing the gap if the bite is favourable- a separation between your upper and lower teeth.if this works you will need long term retention as gaps have a high tendency to reopen.
    If the bite is unfavourable then you might need upper and lower braces.

park500 wrote: »
    How long are the veneers there and why were they fitted?
    Was there originally a gap between those teeth,did you have braces at any stage?
    A aligner is a good way of closing the gap if the bite is favourable- a separation between your upper and lower teeth.if this works you will need long term retention as gaps have a high tendency to reopen.
    If the bite is unfavourable then you might need upper and lower braces.

The veneers are 10 years old and were fitted as some of my enamel had eroded on the surface of my teeth (not by much but it bothered me).

I had braces when I was a young about 18 years ago.

I have a similar gap in my lower teeth as well so I think an aligner will really help. My concern is getting rid of the black triangle. I think the best way could be to just replace the veneers. I think the veneers could be too big as they are anyway.

This is the result of the aligners treatment and I am happy that the gap has closed and my teeth are straighter. My dentist has recommended getting bonding done to close the bottom teeth gap and smooth one of the adjacent top teeth. I am considering asking him to whiten my teeth and replace my veneers. Does this seem reasonable? My dentist is reluctant to replace the veneers as he says they are fine but I always thought they were slightly too big and I still do ha me a small black triangle. I also think think they have got slightly strained over the past 11 years.

Advertisement