Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Out-of-control’ Chinese rocket falling to Earth

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Odelay

“It’s potentially not good,” said Jonathan McDowell, Astrophysicist at the Astrophysics Center at Harvard University. Says it all..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Scientifically, this is incredibly fascinating, but unfortunately potentially devastating.

still the earth is 71% water, good reason to see it crash into the water.

Following this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

whats the chances of it falling on your head?

*but seriously whats the chances of it hitting people and killing them?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,555 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Can the Chinese or Americans not just keep a rocket locked onto it incase they need to shoot it down or a few interceptor jets shoot it down either?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

“Last time they launched a Long March 5B rocket they ended up with big long rods of metal flying through the sky and damaging several buildings in the Ivory Coast,” he said.

“Most of it burned up, but there were these enormous pieces of metal that hit the ground. We are very lucky no one was hurt.”

That was kept quiet
    Based on its current orbit the rocket is passing over Earth as far north as New York, Madrid and Beijing and as far south as southern Chile and Wellington, New Zealand, and could make its re-entry at any point within this area.

We are further north so should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

AMKC wrote: »
    Can the Chinese or Americans not just keep a rocket locked onto it incase they need to shoot it down or a few interceptor jets shoot it down either?

At 27,600kmh it would be a little difficult to intercept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

Might want to wear a hat if you're going outside between Saturday and Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Not the first time this kind of thing has happened. If it hits land it will only count if it hits a proper city. Most likely fish food or some poor village in the back end of Africa.

By the sounds of things this will be a regular feature of Chinese space ventures given the way those great bunch of lads are designing their rockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Might want to wear a hat if you're going outside between Saturday and Wednesday.

Wasn’t the LONG MARCH a genocide march that killed tens of thousands - seriously bad precedent for a name :0

Must brush up on my exact history.

If the link would only speed up & open I’d be interested in following it - looks like the spaceship will have landed and wiped out a small African city & been in the news before that happens!

• Advertisement

Not the first time this kind of thing has happened. If it hits land it will only count if it hits a proper city. Most likely fish food or some poor village in the back end of Africa.

By the sounds of things this will be a regular feature of Chinese space ventures given the way those great bunch of lads are designing their rockets.
    It may be the second time this particular disaster will have happened, but it's not like China have been involved in any other recent global events that would cause any upset.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,091 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

At 27,600kmh it would be a little difficult to intercept.

You don't need to catch it just meet it head on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

I've got a full roll of tinfoil just in case.

You don't need to catch it just meet it head on.

Like a game of space invaders?

I've got a full roll of tinfoil just in case.

If you use it all up, you can use the empty roll to bate it back to China!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Wasn’t the LONG MARCH a genocide march that killed tens of thousands - seriously bad precedent for a name :0

Must brush up on my exact history.

If the link would only speed up & open I’d be interested in following it - looks like the spaceship will have landed and wiped out a small African city & been in the news before that happens!
    The Long March was when Mao and the lads managed to evade the chase. Imagine if the lads in the GPO in 1916 had continued their escape from Moore Street all the way to Belfast and then won the war.

It's an auspicious name.

First segment of their space station is up, so about 10 more launches to go to assemble it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

can i sue the chinese government if it lands in my vicinity ?

fryup wrote: »
    can i sue the chinese government if it lands in my vicinity ?
    More importantly will the Chinese govt. let you sell the bits on ebay ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,781 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

0lddog wrote: »

Such a mad sentence in there; "While the launch was successful, the booster stage of the launching Long March 5B rocket was designed for an “uncontrolled” re-entry, and therefore the exact time and location of its return is unknown."

It's like - We didn't make any mistakes, we just didn't give a shit.

It's the length of three buses and weighs 21 tonnes and only going 27,600km/h

It's not going more than 41.5º, either side of the equator

current position https://orbit.ing-now.com/satellite/48275/2021-035b/cz-5b/

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Such a mad sentence in there; "While the launch was successful, the booster stage of the launching Long March 5B rocket was designed for an “uncontrolled” re-entry, and therefore the exact time and location of its return is unknown."

It's like - We didn't make any mistakes, we just didn't give a shit.

Karma if it falls on China I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

China doesn´t give a siht...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

China doesn´t give a siht...

Even if it landed on Jinping's head and flattened half the Forbidden City they'd probably deny any knowledge of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,091 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

who-had-out-of-control-20-tonne-china-rocket-for-may.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,160 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Due to cross the US in the next few orbits/ hours after projected reentry, if the projection is off...

https://twitter.com/AerospaceCorp/status/1390416330269020160
    Our legend:
    Yellow Icon – location of object @ predicted reentry time

Orange Line – area of visibility @ predicted reentry time for ground observer

Blue Line – ground track uncertainty prior to predicted reentry time (ticks @ 5-minute intervals)

Yellow Line – ground track uncertainty after predicted reentry (ticks @ 5-minute intervals)

White Line – day/night divider @ predicted reentry (White Icon = sun location)

Pink Icon – vicinity of eyewitness sighting

Possible reentry locations lie anywhere along blue/yellow tracks

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭nazmoalex

Woke up far too early and couldn't get back to sleep so I decided to watch the live feed on YouTube there. Saw 3 complete rotations or cycles, altitude peeked at around 255 km and it's lowest point was 156 km. Seems to drop big time around Africa, any particular reason why?

an elliptical orbit means more air drag at the lowq points so it will return sooner, first manned missions did this to guarantee re-entry before life support ran out

circular orbit would keep it up longer more un-predictable as to when and where

note : it's the same mass as the payload, it'a a downside of 1.5 stages to orbit. The big advantage is you can fire up all the engines before lift off so no engine starts on the way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,160 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Predicted reentry has moved forward about 35 mins, and uncertainty narrowed from plus/minus 16 hours to 8 hours... current reentry predicted north of New Zealand. If that moves forward another 23 to 33 mins roughly, it's over North America/ USA, forward 45 mins to 1 hour it's over Africa

https://aerospace.org/reentries/cz-5b-rocket-body-id-48275

Advertisement