Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tree planting 'has mind-blowing potential' to tackle climate crisis

Options
  • 04-07-2019 9:39pm

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/jul/04/planting-billions-trees-best-tackle-climate-crisis-scientists-canopy-emissions
    From the Guardian:
    Planting billions of trees across the world is by far the biggest and cheapest way to tackle the climate crisis, according to scientists, who have made the first calculation of how many more trees could be planted without encroaching on crop land or urban areas.
    There are maps in the article which for some reason I can't link to but essentially it shows that much of Ireland could be reforested. I guess that is because so much of our land is devoted to rearing animals.
    I like the idea of planting forests but do I want them where I live - probably not entirely.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

If it was done here it would be sterile Christmas trees. :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Yes, there's a biodiversity crisis as well as a climate crisis. We need reforestation not afforestation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Been saying for ages that the incentives to convert farmland to forests need to be increased.

And yeah to native woodland specifically. Right now the best choice financially is sitka spruce deadlands.

Letting your grass get long is great for biodiversity. But bad for insects biting you in the evening. I let one of my front lawns get really long. I'm sure the neighbors hate it but I think it's nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Yet the government misses it's own planting targets, all while declaring an on-trend climate emergency (only the 2nd country to do so).

The Forestry Programme report says that the country’s tree-planting targets for 2015, 2016, and 2017 have all been missed.
    The government continually underspent its budget for its afforestation scheme...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Yet the government misses it's own planting targets, all while declaring an on-trend climate emergency (only the 2nd country to do so).

The Forestry Programme report says that the country’s tree-planting targets for 2015, 2016, and 2017 have all been missed.
    The government continually underspent its budget for its afforestation scheme...

Like the TV licence Ad says it's all part of living in Ireland. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Macha wrote: »
    Yes, there's a biodiversity crisis as well as a climate crisis. We need reforestation not afforestation.

If I remember right, there's at least a football field's size worth of forest cleared daily in the Amazon to make room for farming, industry, etc.

^ Speaking of, it's estimated that the global population of trees has more than halved since the dawn of civilisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,313 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

jaxxx wrote: »
    If I remember right, there's at least a football field's size worth of forest cleared daily in the Amazon to make room for farming, industry, etc.

^ Speaking of, it's estimated that the global population of trees has more than halved since the dawn of civilisation.

A football field every single minute is cleared.....:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

A football field every single minute is cleared.....:eek:

I knew I was off. That's 1,440 football fields daily so. Actually that's assuming a full 24 hours. Let's just take a typical working day of 8 hours, so that's 480 football fields worth of forest destroyed daily. With no signs of stopping :eek: Oh we are a greedy bunch. Let's just go with even 1/4 of that, that's still 120 football fields of forest cleared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

yeah something needs to be done about that. They get their knickers in a twist about the potential potential threat of Iranian nukes, and ignore the active attack via rainforest destruction in Brazil.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

yeah something needs to be done about that. They get their knickers in a twist about the potential potential threat of Iranian nukes, and ignore the active attack via rainforest destruction in Brazil.

Human risk perception sucks. Or rather we've evolved for obvious reasons to respond to immediate threats but not so much on the slowly catalysing the end of humanity type threats.

Which is really gonna suck for our kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,113 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The reason Ireland is very suitable is that we are naturally woodland, not grassland, climate wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

We need to be careful about football pitches and such like - a recent collation of satellite imagery showed that the planets tree population was twice what had been estimated - 3 trillion. Obviously chopping then down is bad for just about everything that matters other than cheap burgers but do we really know how much is being lost every day? I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

And that tosspot Phil Hogan is after signing a deal to allow more beef cattle into the EU from that side of the world so probably more land will be cleared for those

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I planted alder in my few acres around the house and they grew very very fast. They have big broad leaves too which can only for good for O2 generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

I have been planting trees for years. All broadlead trees that were grown from seed collected locally, 90% are oak trees.

I'm planting them on grazing land with sheep so each tree needs a post and tree guards

Have approx 5000 trees planted out and a nursery area with at least that amount still.to.come out.

There isn't a cent available to the likes of me for planting these trees. It would be great if I could get tree guards for free or reclaim their cost as I have spent a fortune on these.

There are thousands of farmers across Ireland that would happily add 50+ broadleaf trees to their land if there was even a tiny incentive.

But no, bikes in Dublin is all the wankbags talk about

So I presume everyone has seen this announcement to plant 440M trees by 2040
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/climate-change-ireland-plans-to-plant-440m-trees-by-2040-1.4003940?mode=amp

While it’s a step in the right direction I must say I’m rather dismayed at the decision to allocate 70% of that planting to non-native coniferous plantation which will continue ruining our soil and creating dead-zones for our native wildlife.

Does anyone know is there any way that we can contest their decision on the ratio of coniferous to deciduous to be planted?
    Even 50:50 I’d be happy enough with.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 uluwatu

The question is also what kind of trees are prepared for a change of climate: e.g. not native ones.

uluwatu wrote: »
    The question is also what kind of trees are prepared for a change of climate: e.g. not native ones.

A slight temp increase shouldn't really make a difference to us, in fact it would prob have a positive impact on tree growth = more co2/longer growing season.

So I presume everyone has seen this announcement to plant 440M trees by 2040
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/climate-change-ireland-plans-to-plant-440m-trees-by-2040-1.4003940?mode=amp

While it’s a step in the right direction I must say I’m rather dismayed at the decision to allocate 70% of that planting to non-native coniferous plantation which will continue ruining our soil and creating dead-zones for our native wildlife.

Does anyone know is there any way that we can contest their decision on the ratio of coniferous to deciduous to be planted?
    Even 50:50 I’d be happy enough with.

It would be a perfect topic for the green party to get behind, especially with the recent public interest in all things climate change

I think they heard me.....

https://www.greenparty.ie/forestry-model-has-to-change-to-tackle-both-the-biodiversity-and-the-climate-crises/

A vague statement with zero tangible points, and anyone talking about rewilding for establishing forests is talking out their hoop, find any mature forest and you will have deer which will not allow any new trees to grow. Rewilding also.means your asking farmers to remove their animals from fields as sheep/cows will eat any trees that sprout.

• Advertisement
Advertisement