Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

BloodBath wrote: »
    there are multiple reasons not to use HDD's in any shape or form. Noise, size, loading and install times and heat.
    Noise, heat & physical size of a 2.5" HDD are neglible.
    You know you can install and uninstall games a lot quicker on SSD right? You don't need to have your entire library stored on the system.
    Keeping rarely accessed data on slow/cheap storage and moving it to fast storage when necessary...guess what you just described? Now if only you didn't have to manually faff around deleting and re-installing games...
    Why would you completely bottleneck the system with a ****ty multi platter 2.5" HDD? You wouldn't if you had any sense even if using SSD caching.
    An unplayed-in-months game sitting on HDD does not "bottleneck the system".
    I'm a PC gamer and I only have around 5% of my game library installed at any 1 time.
    That doesn't sound great. You should look into tiered storage (eg StoreMI).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

tiered storage on console would be much easier, on PC you've millions of independent files that are frequently needed and would be moved on and off the faster SSD or RAM for AMDs version. Console version would be more predictable, developers could even assign tiers themselves.

Considering Cerny said that the SSD "that it has a raw bandwidth higher than any SSD available for PCs", it's not going to be a multi TB SSD if this is true for any reasonable price.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Noise, heat & physical size of a 2.5" HDD are neglible.
    Keeping rarely accessed data on slow/cheap storage and moving it to fast storage when necessary...guess what you just described? Now if only you didn't have to manually faff around deleting and re-installing games...
    An unplayed-in-months game sitting on HDD does not "bottleneck the system".
    That doesn't sound great. You should look into tiered storage (eg StoreMI).

Right you love that system. I get it. Watch both console manufactures use NVME SSD's. If you want to store more, add more storage. Simple. You don't need to store your entire library on the console. 5g is going to bring high speed internet to more and more people. The cloud is there to get what you want when you want. Storing everything locally is a thing of the past. You aren't running a data centre.
    Considering Cerny said that the SSD "that it has a raw bandwidth higher than any SSD available for PCs", it's not going to be a multi TB SSD if this is true for any reasonable price.

Consoles will have PCIe gen 4. That's all that means.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Some speculation re: hardware, if you're into that kind of thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I would expect TLOU2 to launch this gen and then they will double dip so eejits like me will buy the shinier version again next gen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

TWO pre-orders, I hear it's worse than smoking these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I would expect TLOU2 to launch this gen and then they will double dip so eejits like me will buy the shinier version again next gen.

That's what was done with the original one!
    Released 5 months before new hardware, and then the shiny re-release about 9 months after launch :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was listening to this week's Game Scoop on IGN and they were saying when interviewing people at e3 about upcoming games their job will be to ask if the game will be current, next or cross gen.
    This was brought up in regard to Death Stranding but will apply to all games

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

marcbrophy wrote: »
    That's what was done with the original one!
    Released 5 months before new hardware, and then the shiny re-release about 9 months after launch :D

I recently sold my ps4 pro. Ill be waiting for the last of us 2 to release on the PS5 before purchasing it. Maybe a new GTA will have been announced by then

Deedsie wrote: »
    I recently sold my ps4 pro. Ill be waiting for the last of us 2 to release on the PS5 before purchasing it. Maybe a new GTA will have been announced by then

You will probably have to avoid spoilers for a while with that wait, but you'll get the best version of it in the end :)

• Advertisement

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Hopefully there's just the one version and it gets a (free) enhancement patch on PS5. Less money for publishers though so perhaps an unrealistic hope..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

An anonymous developer has allegedly leaked info on reddit, regarding the load times/storage system in the PS5 devkit. It should go without saying to take this with a pinch of salt.
    After the wired article my colleagues and I assumed that Sony had just put a PCIe 4 SSD into the PS5 and then called it a day (as PCIe 4 SSDs would be faster then current PC SSDs so it would fit their claim). I mean, the SSD came unexpected for us already since we were expecting at most a solution like Apples Fusion drives for cost reasons. Because of our PCIe 4 SSD expectation we were skeptical how much the SSD could decrease load times in PS4 titles played on the PS5.

For context: our current gen game (PS4, XBO, PC) loads around 40% faster when replacing the PS4 Pro HDD with a SATA SSD (~42 sec. vs. ~25 sec.). If we run our PC build in combination with an M.2 NVMe SSD we only see around 7% faster load times compared to the PS4 Pro with SATA SSD even though the NVMe SSD is ~6 times faster. But it get's even worse, when we take the Samsung PM1725a PCIe card from our build server to run the PC build on we only see 0-3% faster load times compared to an NVMe SSD, which shows that there are diminishing returns since current game IO has to assume HDDs as the baseline. Because of that we only expected similiar load time reductions for PS4 titles when played on the PS5. But we were proven wrong.

Together with our devkit (nothing from Microsoft yet) we received information material which was front and center about how they continue to strife to make the life for developers easier, in order for us to deliver better games faster to the players, and how that is a continuation of the ground work layed by architectural decisions taken in the PS4. The material is not only about new games though, but also about how the PS5 can help current gen games to take advantage of it's features - especially it's advanced storage solution. Apparently they have analyzed the IO behaviour of current gen games and baked the essence of it into what they call a high bandwidth cache controller, which can then map PS4 IO commands into optimized commands for their new storage solution were appropiate (without having to make changes to the game). And it shows, our unchanged game running on the devkit loads around 32% faster then our PC build on the PM1725a. But the material further states that in order to take full advantage of it the game will have to be patched, and I can't wait to see how fast our game will load once our software engineers have made source code changes to take full advantage of the fast storage.

This is obviously a throwaway account that I will delete in a few days... I have no technical data to share and I will not tell my position or company size like other "leakers" do as that could pinpoint me. Which is why I also disabled private messages. Just wanted to share that Sonys storage solution is a true next generation leap and that it will also greatly benefit PS4 games when played on the PS5 - even if the developers don't release patches for their games.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I wonder will the PS5 sell well over the first few years.

Will people here be rushing out to get a PS5 or will many of you be happy with your PS4 Pro and some of you might upgrade from the standard PS4 to the Pro instead of buying PS5.

There are almost 100 million PS4 units sold. God of War sold only 10 million copies. Great sales but out of 100 million its a drop in the ocean. I think we will see games launched on PS4 for a few more years. Its difficult to turn your back on the gigantic PS4 playerbase.

This argument also applies to the Xbox One X but I'd say its far more relevant to the PS4 playerbase given its size.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭EoinHef

If the PS5 back compatibility works as well as it should i dont see a reason to delay the purchase.

If it doesnt id be sticking with the Pro for a bit. In saying that im not that impressed by the Pro,im hoping the PS5 will be a more substantial upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭jones

Definitely jump ps5 move my pro to the bedroom

• Registered Users Posts: 13,806 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'd like to say I'll wait for a while and not get a launch model, but realistically, unless some massive monetary requirement is needed for something else on release of the PS5, I will probably pick one up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Will people here be rushing out to get a PS5 or will many of you be happy with your PS4 Pro and some of you might upgrade from the standard PS4 to the Pro instead of buying PS5.

There are almost 100 million PS4 units sold. God of War sold only 10 copies. Great sales but out of 100 million its a drop in the ocean. I think we will see games launched on PS4 for a few more years. Its difficult to turn your back on the gigantic PS4 playerbase.

This argument also applies to the Xbox One X but I'd say its far more relevant to the PS4 playerbase given its size.

10 copies aint much alright!

My god,roll on PS5 and SSD's,this copying lark takes way too long:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

There are almost 100 million PS4 units sold. God of War sold only 10 million copies. Great sales but out of 100 million its a drop in the ocean. I think we will see games launched on PS4 for a few more years. Its difficult to turn your back on the gigantic PS4 playerbase.

About a year and a half to two years after launch is the sweet spot for the likes of Argos etc selling off launch models cheap.

I got the ps4 about 18 months after launch for €215 with Killzone.

Upgraded to a pro when GameStop were doing a ridiculous offer.

My OG model at that point was sounding like a jet engine. Surprised it didn’t blow up tbh.

Edit... plus there’s generally very few games worth playing at launch never mind the ridiculous cost at that point. A couple of years later there’s sales, goty editions etc..

If the PS5 has full backwards compatibility with PS4 games the launch games wont matter much to a lot of people.

Ill be buying it day one of its lives up to the rumors and has backward compatibility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

EoinHef wrote: »
    If the PS5 has full backwards compatibility with PS4 games the launch games wont matter much to a lot of people.

Ill be buying it day one of its lives up to the rumors and has backward compatibility.

Totally agree. I've too many PS4 games to start on a new system if I can't play those games on it. Will make the difference between a day one purchase or an 12-18 month later purchase for me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,804 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Won't go near a PS5 unless there's a Mario 64 level launch title.
    As a PC owner the PS4 has been one of the worst console purchases I've ever made. There's been maybe a handful of actual exclusives I found essential but compared to other consoles, it's been pretty pathetic. I'm sure there will eventually be a game like Bloodborne that makes the purchase worthwhile but I'll be waiting this time until that game arrives.

€500 is a good price for Bloodborne

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭jones

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    As a PC owner the PS4 has been one of the worst console purchases I've ever made. There's been maybe a handful of actual exclusives I found essential but compared to other consoles, it's been pretty pathetic.

I'm surprised at this surely the main thing going for Sony is the exclusives compared to other consoles

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,804 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

jones wrote: »
    I'm surprised at this surely the main thing going for Sony is the exclusives compared to other consoles

Yes but it's got very few actual exclusives worth playing that aren't on PC. A lot of the exclusives are standard open world stuff that while done well don't appeal to me. You get a bloodborne, Gravity Rush 2 or God of War every so often but compared to previous consoles the good exclusives are very thin on the ground. Sure the PS4 looks good compared to the Xbox One in this regard but only because the Xbox has pretty much no exclusives.

I find the Switch for the short time it's been around a far more compelling console. It's why I've got it in arms reach all the time while my PS4 is packed up unused.
    €500 is a good price for Bloodborne

As a soulsborne fan I'd have paid more to play it. Then again I was also expecting the PS4 to eventually come into it's own and deliver more experiences, which it just didn't.

Only for PS Plus, I'd probably own less than 10 PS4 games!

The problem with exclusives being so infrequent is the development time is probably double from a PS3 gen game to PS4.

When you think about it, it's very likely that the PS4 generation of consoles will pass without having received a GTA game.
    GTA V was a PS3 game!

The BC for PS5 will help a lot of people move without being worried about what are the new games I think.

Watching something today where the Sony CEO described console gaming as a niche market. Some of the other things he said indicated they were moving away from single player games and more to streaming

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

marcbrophy wrote: »
    The BC for PS5 will help a lot of people move without being worried about what are the new games I think.

I think it’s gas that people are chomping at the bit to get a ps5 to play the games they already have on a console that can already play them.

Knowing that 18 months later it’ll have at least a handful of games worth getting at a cheaper price just seems like a no brainer but then again if people didn’t do stupid things people like me waiting wouldn’t get it at a reasonable price as they’d have gone out of business.

So eh yeah keep buying consoles day one lads. Cheers.

I think it’s gas that people are chomping at the bit to get a ps5 to play the games they already have on a console that can already play them.

Knowing that 18 months later it’ll have at least a handful of games worth getting at a cheaper price just seems like a no brainer but then again if people didn’t do stupid things people like me waiting wouldn’t get it at a reasonable price as they’d have gone out of business.

It's not really that al all.

You're always going to have early adopters. Those who want the newest tech regardless of cost.

A lot of the time people are put off at having their 100+ game library that they already have in current gen disappear if they buy in early to the next gen. Having backwards compatibility day one means that people who are really interested in one or two new games only on PS5, might buy in earlier cos they won't lose their old library any more!

And yes, when I decide to pick it up 6, 12 or 18 months out from launch, I too will get it cheaper with a few games bundled and maybe a hardware revision.

We all win :)

• Advertisement

Well if you dont understand the potential of a CPU and SSD upgrade over the current PS4 i can see why you might think that way.

Current gen games could potentially run at 60Hz instead of 30Hz,load times and install times could be massively reduced as well.

So yeah,i can understand your thinking if you dont rate any of the above.

I do though and think they could be massive QOL upgrades over PS4.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement