Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Off topic: chat

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Sorry Hermy - lots of people on the twitter hashtag were saying terrible things about Stacey Dooley while the show aired - of a personal nature. Perfectly fine not to like her style of presenting.

Yeah, I get that.

I make no apologies for not liking Stacey - not my cup of tea at all, at all - but Jesus some people really go to town on folk they don't like. It's like there's some sort of outrage competition going on online.

As the wonderful Henry Rollins once said - if you hate them that much you're giving them too much of your time.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

What is Mary Lou McDonalds ancestry? Where does that surname come from? Is it an Irish translation?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Rmulvany

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    What is Mary Lou McDonalds ancestry? Where does that surname come from? Is it an Irish translation?

This would be a pretty common name around Ireland but would be of Scottish origin, McDonald would be the Anglicized form of MacDomhnaill coming from Clan Donald.

MacLysaght: "MacDonald: The name of a Scottish Clan. Sometimes a synonym of the Irish MacDonnell"

If your question was on a personal level, I don't think Mary has done anything public (who do you think you are etc)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I know nothing about her ancestry. She's from south county Dublin, afaik, but not even sure if MacDonald is her birth or married name.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

I think her birthname. She attended Notre Dame convent in Churchtown ( now closed).

I have McDaniel in my tree and it can be be form of McDonald as well.

• Advertisement

Rmulvany wrote: »
    This would be a pretty common name around Ireland but would be of Scottish origin, McDonald would be the Anglicized form of MacDomhnaill coming from Clan Donald.

MacLysaght: "MacDonald: The name of a Scottish Clan. Sometimes a synonym of the Irish MacDonnell"

If your question was on a personal level, I don't think Mary has done anything public (who do you think you are etc)

Just wondering if it suggests some sort of Scottish or Ulster link. I am not sure of the demographics of surnames down there.

I don't think you can infer anything from the surname alone.

I'm not comfortable with this line of conversation. By all means discuss the surname, but let's leave actual living people who are not here themselves tracing their roots out of it please.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

Is it just a rough rule of thumb to say prefix 'Mac'/Mc' is Scottish and 'O' is Irish?
    The McDaniels in my tree hail from Malahide Dublin and they occur in distant branch coincidentally and from Sligo/Leitrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Mollymoo19

Garlinge wrote: »
    Is it just a rough rule of thumb to say prefix 'Mac'/Mc' is Scottish and 'O' is Irish?

Not at all, there are plenty of Mc Irish surnames. Mc/Mac surnames denote 'son of' and were usually formed by prefixing Mac to the Christian name of the father, and O surnames were usually formed by prefixing O to the Christian name of the grandfather, or earlier forefather.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

Garlinge wrote: »

Noooooooh! That is an error most frequently made by American Irish tracing their roots. So many of them believe it. Another one is "I'm actually Scots-Irish because I'm Mc and not Mac") :o:o

• Advertisement

I can’t think of too many Irish “Mc” surnames locally. They’re mostly O or without a prefix.

I suppose McGlinchey or McLaughlin could be an example.

Where a person lives in the 21st century in comparison to the historic (correct or otherwise) origin of a surname is largely meaningless.

If you are interested in the history of surnames, take a look at MacLysaght's seminal work or Grenham or Murphy's more recent research.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭srmf5

I can’t think of too many Irish “Mc” surnames locally. They’re mostly O or without a prefix.

I suppose McGlinchey or McLaughlin could be an example.

Off the top of head McDonagh, MacCarthy, McGuire, McGrath, McDonnell, McMahon, McGoldrick, McKenna, McGee, McNamara, McDermott, McKeague, McGarry, McCann/McGann, McLoughlin, McCabe, McBride, McVeigh, McCormack, McInerney, McConville, McDaid, McHale, McHugh, McGinley, McIntyre, McManus, McNamee, McCahill, McMenamy, McNeive and McGovern all have an Irish orgin. Some may also have a different origin in Scotland but I believe that they all have an Irish origin.

I haven’t come across several of those names.. some are Scottish.

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Where a person lives in the 21st century in comparison to the historic (correct or otherwise) origin of a surname is largely meaningless.

If you are interested in the history of surnames, take a look at MacLysaght's seminal work or Grenham or Murphy's more recent research.

Yes.. in respect of a regional basis but it’s easy to tell the national origin of a surname in most cases.

Which ones? Some have both a Scottish and Irish origin.

McBride and McIntyre

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

McEntaggart and McAnespie?

The names quoted by srmf5 are common throughout Ireland. Reading your posts I infer that you are limiting your comments to names found in the northern part of Ireland (e.g. your reference to names found 'locally'). I cannot see thatperspective adding much to a discussion on surnames that is general rather than specific.

I understand that there are obviously some Irish Mc surnames, my point was that more locally are Scottish extraction. I see more “o” Irish names such as “o’Kane, o”Doherty, O’Neill, o’mullan”.

• Advertisement

Mick Tator wrote: »
    The names quoted by srmf5 are common throughout Ireland. Reading your posts I infer that you are limiting your comments to names found in the northern part of Ireland (e.g. your reference to names found 'locally'). I cannot see thatperspective adding much to a discussion on surnames that is general rather than specific.

I will continue to post.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Don’t insult my contribution.. I have been doing my Y DNA for years alongside my Genealogy.

If you have an issue with a post - report it.

Genealogy Forum Mod

McBride and McIntyre

The surname McBride was first found in Donegal (Irish: Dún na nGall), northwest Ireland in the province of Ulster, sometimes referred to as County Tyrconnel, where the they are descended from the son of the servant (follower, devotee) of St. Brigit, the virgin Abbess of Kildare who died 525 A.D.

McIntyre, McEntire, MacIntyre, McAteer, and McIntire are Scottish and Irish surnames derived from the Gaelic Mac an t-Saoir literally meaning "Son of the Craftsman or Mason", but more commonly cited as "son of the Carpenter." It is common in Ulster and the highlands of Scotland, found in Ireland mostly in counties Donegal, Derry, Tyrone and Sligo. A Uí Brolchainn Sept of the Uí Néill clan and a branch of the Cenel Eoghainn.

In the ancient Irish annals, the first abbot of Clonmacnoise Saint Ciarán (c. 516 – c. 549) Ciarán mac an tSaeir ("son of the carpenter"), appears to be the oldest known record of the name; was one of the Twelve Apostles of Ireland.

Mick Tator wrote: »
    ……. Reading your posts I infer that you are limiting your comments to names found in the northern part of Ireland (e.g. your reference to names found 'locally'). I cannot see that perspective adding much to a discussion on surnames that is general rather than specific.
    I will continue to post.
    It’s none of my business whether or not you post, but if your contributions are to add to the discussion It would be helpful if they were clearer. There is little point in taking offense when debating surname origins particularly when your posts lack clarity of post and specific detail.

Without detail, trying to separate Northern English, Northern Irish and Scottish ancestry is futile. Apart from seasonal and permanent population migrations between all those places, several identical surnames have completely different origins in different parts of this and those countries. In Ireland, Kelly is one name that comes to mind, the Kelly septs from UI Máine, (Connacht) Breagh (Leinster) and Cinel Eachach (Ulster) all have quite different origins. Another – common in Scotland, N. Ireland and N England – is Lamont.

Some Lamonts, particularly in N England are correct in claiming their name is Viking, derived from the medieval personal name Lagman which in turn is from the Old Norse Logmaðr.
    Other Lamonts, particularly in Scotland correctly believe they descend from Anrothan O'Neill, who gave up his kingdom in Ireland and moved to Argyll.
    From Anrothan's line came a man named Aodha Alainn O'Neil who had three sons:
    1. Gillachrist, who had a son, Lachlan, who is the ancestors of the MacLachlans;
    2. Neill, who is the ancestor of the MacNeills
    3. Dunslebhe. who had two sons, Ewen, the ancestor of the MacEwens and Fearchar, who had a son named Lamond and it is from him that the Lamont family descend. He at one time was known as as 'Mac Laomain Mor Chomhail Uile' - The Great Mac Lamont of All Cowal.

Yet other Lamonts would by quite wrong to assert those origins, the being descended from a French Huguenot whose family name originated on the western side of the Ile-de-France.

Take your pick!

You have claimed to be expert in DNA so it should be very clear to you that ethnicity/origin is algorithm based, built on the geographic distribution of the surnames of those who have taken DNA tests. So what really is your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

In other news they are talking genealogy on the Today show on RTE (if you can stick Dathí!) not sure who the genealogy fella is.

Edit: Shane Lehane was his name, there’s a bit on the fb page about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Earnest

srmf5 wrote: »
    The surname McBride was first found in Donegal (Irish: Dún na nGall), northwest Ireland in the province of Ulster, sometimes referred to as County Tyrconnel, where the they are descended from the son of the servant (follower, devotee) of St. Brigit, the virgin Abbess of Kildare who died 525 A.D.

McIntyre, McEntire, MacIntyre, McAteer, and McIntire are Scottish and Irish surnames derived from the Gaelic Mac an t-Saoir literally meaning "Son of the Craftsman or Mason", but more commonly cited as "son of the Carpenter." It is common in Ulster and the highlands of Scotland, found in Ireland mostly in counties Donegal, Derry, Tyrone and Sligo. A Uí Brolchainn Sept of the Uí Néill clan and a branch of the Cenel Eoghainn.

In the ancient Irish annals, the first abbot of Clonmacnoise Saint Ciarán (c. 516 – c. 549) Ciarán mac an tSaeir ("son of the carpenter"), appears to be the oldest known record of the name; was one of the Twelve Apostles of Ireland.

It would be misleading to imply that Ciarán Mac an tSaeir was an early example of the McAteer surname. Surnames first came in around the 11th century. People called Mac or Ó before that were literally the son or grandson and would not pass the name on to their descendants.

Earnest wrote: »
    It would be misleading to imply that Ciarán Mac an tSaeir was an early example of the McAteer surname. Surnames first came in around the 11th century. People called Mac or Ó before that were literally the son or grandson and would not pass the name on to their descendants.

Sure but it just means son of a carpenter. It shows that such an occupational surname like that could arise anywhere in Ireland and Scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Alan259

On this day, 95 years ago, the 1926 census was taken. I found an interesting piece in the Irish Newspaper Archives about it.
    The Irish Census

The census of the Irish Free State will be taken on next Sunday, April 18. Everything possible is being done to make this, our first census, complete and accurate. The clergy in every parish have been requested to exhort their congregations to make the census a success. All teachers in primary, secondary and other day schools have been authorized to give courses of lessons on the matter this week. Heads of labour organisations, employers’ organisations, etc., have been asked for their assistance. Large numbers of farmers, industrialists, and commercial men have been requested to advise and assist their employees and others with regard to filling up the forms. In short, everything practicable is being done to make successful this special enquiry – the largest every country has to undertake. All persons who have to fill up the census forms should, before doing so, read very carefully the memorandum of instructions (printed on pink paper) which will be handed in before Sunday next by the Civic Guard together with the census form. The pattern tables shown on the pink memorandum should receive special attention as they indicate the manner in which the form should be filled in. Great care should be taken in filling up the columns headed “Personal Occupation” – column (k) and “Employment” – column (l). The census forms will be called for by the Civic Guard after Sunday, April 18, and each head of a household will facilitate matters if he will leave with a responsible person in the house the form completed and ready to be handed to the Civic Guard.

Published in The Connacht Tribune on 17th April, 1926.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

A 'mystery' DNA match was on my list of things to investigate.

I was fully expecting it to be a result of a NPE, but lo and behold, the living relative's grandmother turned out to have a misspelt version of a known family name. Investigating her took me to a soldier who is the right age (born about 1837) and has the 'right' father's name on his marriage cert., and may well be a brother of my 2x great grandfather.

Yet to be backed up with a paper trail, but the DNA doesn't lie.

**edit Just found some military papers which confirm the soldier's father's name is 'right' and he is from the right townland. A good day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Rmulvany

Just noticing (maybe it's not new) that GedMatch have refreshed their appearance, looks a lot more modern.
    Classic look is still available, I wonder what their plans are for the future?

Advertisement