Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Introduce yizzer selves.....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Chunky Monkey

Echani, I have a feeling I've talked to you before...I'm also known as Dr Noodle :D Go study! Good luck in your exams guys :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Well dont wirte in here to often as Im generally not great with medical advice.

Im panda and a fifth year medical student in UCD. I dont particularly like medicine and went into it because I didnt want to waste my high points,just being honest.:o Saying that there are some aspects of my course such as public health, legal med and medical ethics which I find really intresting,so If they come up on here I shall comment on them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Echani

hey! you're one of our GEMs them? :D It must be pretty hectic for you guys with so much to cover in each semester, thought we had it pretty bad! ;) I'm in first med (undergraduate.. thought I'd be doing premed as I mentioned here, but it seems that having 2 or more sciences lets you go right into first year.. which is great, until you realise that it's January 6th and you've got very little done for the exams in a week's time.. :( )
    Yup I'm one of the reclusive GEPs that live either in Sandyford or the library, occasionally popping in to prod a cadaver :p I dunno what the workload difference is between the 4-5 year courses; we had 8 modules this semester which seems to be more than enough, but the grads who started in UCD last year had something like 10 in their 2nd semester, so it could be worse! Anyway hope the exams are going well, and even if they're not then I hope they're going quickly
    Echani, I have a feeling I've talked to you before...I'm also known as Dr Noodle Go study! Good luck in your exams guys
    That sig looked familiar alright, you certainly get around :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Ah, we have 6 modules instead of the 8.. god, 10 must be pretty awful! :/
    and this morning's exam was.. well, horrible! I totally blanked! Ah well, it was always going to be my worst one.. roll on the rest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭me2gud4u

hey I just started medicine in UCD and am fairly new to boards-only just discovered this biology and medicine forum. Will pop in here quite a lot over the next few years probably, it's got some interesting stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I'm Psi.

I'm currently attending in gastroenterology and hepatology in a US University Hospital. I've qualifications in GI Physiology/Drug Delivery, Immunology, Infectious Disease and Epidemiology. I'm part of a multi-disciplinary international translation-research team focusing on IBD and mucosal disease.

My specific interests are:

Physiology of Gut Associate Lymphoid Tissue
    Football
    Mucosal Drug Delivery
    White Water Rafting
    Fibrosis and Stricturing in Crohn's Disease
    GI Wound Healing
    Snowboarding
    IBD associated Septicemia
    Survival Trekking
    Cooking

I look far too young for my own good and it leads to lots and lots of problems professionally. I can still pull hot people much younger than me though.

I hate stupidity and can't stand people misportraying medical and scientific information.
    I'm nice really though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Heya, I'm steph

I'm a final year radiography student. Hoping to stay on next year to do a masters/phd.

My main areas of interest are currently dose to radiographers and radiologists and the PACs management/data protection.

Other than that I founded Radsoc so i'm heavily involved in its running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 SexyIrish

How's it goin. SexyIrish should have been SexyIrishLeprechaun but there's a name limit size ;) Many people call me jus Conor tho, and it's mostly men. Women usually don't have a problem calling me Sexy ;)

I have a BSC Hons in Bioanalysis from Tallaght since June and I work in DCU now (i know right, out of the crapper and into the ****hole, right ;)). I wanna do a phd at some point, but I'm starting to fall in love with money ;)

I like Soccer, American Football, movies, long walks on the beach &c&c. Nice to meet ye all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

I'm Bec, 20 year old law trainee who's worked PT with the HSE for 3 years. I've been working in the ED PT for two years and I must say I rather like it. It's polar opposite to my main love (criminal law:p) but it lets me experience and learn new things on a daily basis. Thankful to still have my job tbh, considering the cutback rumblings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Don't worry Bec, I imagine lawyers are the last thing the HSE will be cutting back on in the coming years.....

• Advertisement

Hey banzai something I was wondering the other day- what happens if a patient who comes into casualty doesn't have a medical card and doesn't have any money on them?

Oh and there's a change in my status, I'm definitely starting medicine in September. Got an offer for Peninsula Medical School in the UK yesterday but still hoping to get a place at RCSI this year :D

psi wrote: »
    Don't worry Bec, I imagine lawyers are the last thing the HSE will be cutting back on in the coming years.....
    LOL, only too true.
    Hey banzai something I was wondering the other day- what happens if a patient who comes into casualty doesn't have a medical card and doesn't have any money on them?

They're billed using our super cool bill book, just use one of their small stickers to get the adress etc. Bill is sent out by the admins once the patient is registered so they generally have it in 2/3 days. If it's unpaid after 2wks the "final notice" is sent out, this can go on infintly from what I've seen.

So they could easily give the wrong address? (note to self) just kidding :p

Yup! Happens all the time with the same reccuring patients. It's like fighting a losing battle.

Haha some of us were chatting out in the smoking hut the other day. Apparently there's a frequent vistor who came in recently with an upset stomach. They sent her home and told her to drink milk. She rang in and said she didn't have any!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Echani

Oh and there's a change in my status, I'm definitely starting medicine in September. Got an offer for Peninsula Medical School in the UK yesterday but still hoping to get a place at RCSI this year :D
    Congratulations, that's great news :)

Thanks Echani (Alan) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

well done chunky. That's great news. Peninsula are supposed to have a good course.

Good stuff :D

Thanks Tallaght :) Have you heard anything about how the first graduates are doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Thanks Tallaght :) Have you heard anything about how the first graduates are doing?

well, I'll put it to you this way...I haven't heard anything bad about them.

Most medical graduates are pretty much the same. You don't hear lots of "OMG, the guys from university X are amazing".

But if there's rubbish people out there, you'd generally hear about it pretty quick.

There's been no bad reports on the UK doctors' equivalent of boards, so fingers crossed.

• Advertisement

Brilliant :) I have reasons for staying here but I'm more than happy to accept the offer. I've heard the course takes some getting to used to but by second year the students just wouldn't go anywhere else. I'm so excited :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭maggie18x

chunky monkey what course are u leaving to do medicine?:)

Hey Maggie :) I left natural sciences in Trinty a year and a half ago. Just working as a HCA now :) What are you doing yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭AmcD

I am a young Northside GP. I have read a good few of the biology and medicine threads. Hopefully I could give a bit of balance to some discussions from a general practice point of view. It's good to read a couple of different viewpoints from different specialities/professions/public

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

Im cathy, my interestes are ADD/ADHD.
    I cant spell, at all.I have a problem with the word RARE .
    there are always reasons.I cant help but investigate, everything.
    but anyway.ADD/ADHD, know them better then I know myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭TEH REAL CDP

Just finishing a B.Sc (Hons.) in Biochemistry in Galway, off to do a PhD in Integrative Neuroscience in october.

Interests: molecular genetics of...everything! but mainly (!) neurodegenerative disease and stem cell therapies, including reprogramming amongst other things. Have considerable research experience in bacteriology, diagnostic micro, cancer research (cell-cycle checkpoints), trinucleotide repeat instability and mutagenesis.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Vinegar Hill

My name is Mike. Originally from Dublin but living in Donegal now. I trained as a States and have been practicing medicine for over 10 years years now. PAs work in conjunction with a Physician and have full prescription writing authority in most states. I have a M.Sc degree in Physician Asssitant Studies and am Board certified in Emergency Medicine.

Unfortunetly, Ireland does not have Physician Assistants so I am trying to figure out what else I could possibly do in the medical field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Congratulations, Chunky! I hope it all goes well for you.

Cheers Kelle :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

I'm Mark. Just got accepted into first med in NUIG.
    I don't want this to turn into a personal ad so I'll just leave it there.
    Although I do enjoy long walks on the beach....

Ok, I know it's been a while since I posted this but it is in need of a correction.

I was accepted for the foundation medical year program and will be starting first med next september.

That is all.

Advertisement