Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I Am the Master of My Fate

• 11-01-2015 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭

I don't think there's any need for a lengthy preamble to this blog. Anybody who has followed my blogs or posts here on boards, should already know about my ambition to race in Kona. So there's no point beating around the bush, this blog will end after I've raced in the World Championships on The Big Island. All going well that will be October 2016.

The only intermediate goal I have is to qualify. I've entered Ironman Mallorca on September 26th, and it's here I'm planning to secure my spot. People reading this might think I'm being a bit presumptuous in using the word 'planning', but I raced Mallorca last year and only for a huge cock up, I would have finished in approximately 9 hours 15 minutes. This would have been good enough for a Kona slot in the age group I'll be racing this year, and I expect to go faster this time round. I'm not going to Mallorca to make up the numbers, and as far as I'm concerned I've already proven I'm good enough. So whether it's incredibly arrogant of me or not, I am going to Mallorca planning to qualify.

Obviously I'd like to do well in any race I enter, and I'll inform you of them when they come up, but ultimately there are only going to be two races that really matter throughout this blog;
    Ironman Mallorca 2015 and all going to plan Ironman Hawaii 2016.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

There is no doubt in my mind you can qualify. Just make sure you pay attention to the details in the periphery. Best of luck Zico....you have a gallery of fans cheering and willing you on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Great title, I'm really looking forward to following your progress. There's a lot people here at all levels can learn from your attitude. Good hunting.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

There are many people who don't have the balls to set more ambitious goals...or to even put out what their real goal is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,977 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Best of luck, I will certainly be attention to Mallorca this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Before posting any of my training, I'll just outline my approach to it. I firmly believe more is more, and I think doing big volumes is the best way for me to get ready for races. After IM Mallorca last year, I went to a bar with Fazz and Trinewbie. Predictably enough conversation turned to triathlon and out of the three of us, I discovered that I had put in the longest training hours that year. Later that night, we were joined by a German who finished second in our age group. We also asked him how many hours a week would he usually train for. He was the first person I had met who spent longer training than I did and it immediately became clear to me what I needed to do for my next Ironman. So here I am and my plan is to train even more than I did last year.

This is not something I have rushed into though. A good few years ago I read a race report by Brian Jenkins after he had finished second in Joey Hannon. In his report he commented on how he had increased his training to 30 hours a week. At the time, I wasn't doing much more than 10 and I thought 30 hours was a number I'd never be capable of. But year upon year, without having it as a target, I built up to it and during my peak training last year managed to put in two consecutive weeks of over 30 hours.

This time around I want to have put in a lot more 30 hour weeks by the time September rolls around, than I did last year. I'll try to hit the 30 hour mark often during my base build as well, which is all I'll be doing for the next while. I've entered HOTW and I'd like to give a decent account of myself there. I'll tailor my training for that closer to the race, but for the next few months my plan is to get my body used once more to long swims, runs and bike rides.

When posting my training, I'll stick with the weekly blocks I've posted before. I like to have all the training in just one place. It's much easier for me to look back on and review when I keep it like this. From now until September and hopefully longer is a long time to commit to this, but hopefully I'll keep the blog updated on a weekly basis. Not sure how detailed each update will be, but I'll try post the salient points of each session at the very least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

Looking forward to keeping an eye on this. 30 hours a week is incomprehensible to me, but its hard to argue against the fact that you get out what you put in, so long as your body is able to absorb the training.

RJM85 wrote: »
    Looking forward to keeping an eye on this. 30 hours a week is incomprehensible to me, but its hard to argue against the fact that you get out what you put in, so long as your body is able to absorb the training.

It used to be to me too. Of course it depends on other factors, but the more hours you train and the closer you get to it, the more manageable it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Drive the whole course beforehand please!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭joey100

how you think the body will hold up to all the training Zico? From your last log you don't seem to get injured and must look after yourself well. Best of luck with the training, and I'm another who will be following the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

zico10 wrote: »
    It used to be to me too. Of course it depends on other factors, but the more hours you train and the closer you get to it, the more manageable it seems.

Part of what makes it incomprehensible to me is the 'other factors' 15hrs is a big week for me. It's hard to see where another 15 would come from without a change in job / removing the need to sleep / putting the child up for adoption!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I assume no specific IM coach this time again? As a teacher, I assume you have the summer off, so getting in 30 hours/week should not be too much of an issue, really. If I am correct in my thinking, then brilliant for you! I'd love to be able to turn my full attention to training to test the potential.

Monday 5th January
    a.m.
    Bike
    1 hour easy turbo – 25km
    Totals; 1hr – 25km

p.m.
    S. &. C.
    45 minutes weights – lower body

Run
    Treadmill
    8km at 12km/hr
    Totals; 0.5hrs – 8km

Swim
    Coached session, 25m pool
    350m warm up
    Main set;
    7 sets of 4*50m descending (1.55 → 1.45 approx.)
    The coached had initially told us we’d be doing 10 sets straight, but gave us a break after 7. We were told to take a slightly different approach to the final 3 sets; the first 50 easy, the second 50 to focus on kick, third 50 as 25m fast and 25m easy, then the fourth 50 fast. At least that’s what I think we were told and it’s the approach I took. Apologies to Interested if I took you up wrongly.
    3 sets of 4*50m as described above (Once again I was coming in on approximately 1.45 for the final fast 100)
    50m easy
    I was consistently hitting the times, but it was hard work on the fourth and final 100 in all the sets. The effort affected me throughout the hour, and even though it was always followed by an easy 100, I never felt like I had fully recovered by the time the next fast 100 came around.
    Totals; 1 hr - 2,400m

Tuesday 6th January
    a.m.
    Swim
    50m pool
    600 pull, 100 fs, 100 fs @ 80%
    12*200 off 3.45 At the start I was getting 15 seconds rest, which was starting to fall to less than 10 by the end. I had planned on doing 16*100, but I was tiring and took a break after 12.
    100 easy
    1*200 on 3.40
    I was going to do 4*100, but I messed up my timing at the end of the first one. I missed when I was supposed to have pushed off for the second 100, I still didn’t feel invigorated after the rest, and gave up. I stuck a pull buoy between my legs and switched it to a pull set instead.
    4*200 pull off 3.45
    400 cool down
    Totals; 1.5hrs - 3,900m

p.m.
    Run
    29.53km in 2.17.55
    Totals; 2.5hrs – 29.53km
    For the moment I’m going to keep the pace for my long runs between 2.24/km and 4.48/km. This is the range I used from Connemara last year, but I felt so slow tonight, I didn’t have to worry about going too fast. After a slow first kilometre, my pace progressively dropped until I reached 20km. After that it started to creep up again. After the weights session I did yesterday, my legs and glutes especially felt sore during.
    The 29km was more of an effort than it usually is, but it’s not something that concerns me.
    Totals; 2.5hrs – 29.53km

Wednesday 7th January
    a.m.
    Swim
    50m pool
    10*400 alternating f/s and pull
    Totals; 1.5hrs – 4,000m
    Before Christmas I’d always include some fast stuff in this Wednesday morning swim, but legs were stiff, so I opted for an endurance session instead. I completely ignored the clock, swam at a comfortable pace, and just took whatever rest I deemed necessary after each 400.

p.m.
    S. &. C.
    45 minutes weights; upper body

Cycle
    Turbo
    20.00 warm up, 10.00 hard - 77rpm, 5.00 recovery, 8.00 hard – 76rpm, 4.00 recovery, 6.00 hard - 77rpm, 3.00 recovery, (dropped a gear)4.00 hard - 77rpm, 2.00 recovery, (dropped another gear)2.00 hard - 77rpm, 16.00 cool down
    Totals; 1.5hrs – 40km

Thursday 8th January
    a.m.
    Swim
    Coached session - 25m pool
    I signed up for another swim block with Peter Kern, so this like all my Thursday morning swims from here on out will be under his tutelage. The total distance seems a bit short for a 90 minute session, but the session was emailed to me by one of the swimmers who spends his rests scribbling down details of what we’ve just done, so I’m sure the distance and the details of the session are accurate.
    400m warm up
    100m FS UW
    4 x 50m water polo drill
    4 x 50m 3rd phase drill
    200m easy
    4 x 50m kick
    200m (as 25 fast & 25 easy)
    8 x 50m (as 25 sprint & 25 easy with 10 seconds reast)
    400m Pad & PB;
    6 x 50m (as 25 v fast & 25 easy)
    250m Pad & PB
    50m easy
    Totals; 1.5hrs – 2,900m

p.m.
    Run;
    Warm up - no watch, no GPS - 5km approx
    1.00 fast, (3.14/km) , 0.30 recovery
    2.00 fast, (3.35/km) , 1.00 recovery
    3.00 fast, (3.39/km) , 1.30 recovery
    4.00 fast, (3.29/km) , 2.00 recovery
    4.00 fast, (3.40/km) , 2.00 recovery
    3.00 fast, (3.36/km) , 1.30 recovery
    2.00 fast, (3.22/km) , 1.00 recovery
    1.00 fast, (3.20/km) , 0.30 recovery
    Cool down; no watch no GPS - 3km approx
    Totals; 1.0hrs – 15.49km
    Some of these were into strong gusts of wind, others wind assisted, which would go some way to explain the huge variations in average paces. None of them were complete eyeballs out efforts and overall were some way off my top end speed, which I don’t think I’m ready for just yet. It was a speed/Zone 5 session, which will all follow a similar approach until I feel I have the endurance back that proper intervals will require.

Friday 9th January
    a.m.
    Nada

p.m.
    Cycle
    1 hour easy turbo
    Totals; 1.0hrs – 25km

Swim
    4*100 off 2.00 50s descending (at least I think this is what Interested told us to do, apologies if I took you up wrongly)
    6*200 off 3.40 (in on 3.15 – 3.20)
    50 easy
    20*50 descending off 60 seconds (55, 50, 45, 40)
    100 cool down
    Totals; 1.0hrs – 2,500m
    The times I was holding tonight were slightly faster than I’d normally swim, but I had the benefit of a draft which aided considerably and made it an easier hour than it might otherwise have been. I felt like I hadn’t earned the Muller Light yoghurt I took along for refuelling afterwards, but not enough to stop me eating it.

Saturday 10th January
    a.m.
    Swim
    Endurance session - 50m pool
    200m – 3.41
    400m – 7.29
    600m – 11.14
    800m – 14.55
    800m – 14.43
    600m – 11.14
    400m – 7.36
    200m – 1.52
    100m pull
    Totals; 1.5hrs – 4,100m
    I had a metronome for this set to beep at a rate of 63 per minute, which is 2/3 strokes above what’s a comfortable stroke rate for me at the moment. I’m trying to increase my stroke rate at the moment and I find the metronome useful. I can’t be sure I was sticking to 63spm all the time, but it keeps me focussed and ensures if my concentration ever drifts, it doesn’t last for too long. It was about 8.40 when I got into the water for this and was glad to get it done before the daily changeover from 50m to 25m format at 10 a.m. Times might not be all that impressive, but I was slow to get out of bed for this session and it felt like a productive morning.

p.m.
    Cycle
    3 hours on the turbo moderate effort, rpm falling, losing power
    Totals; 3.0hrs – 82.5km

Run
    Recovery; 9km w. 10*80m strides
    Totals; 1.0hrs - 9.0km

Sunday 11th January
    a.m.
    Cycle
    I went out on a club spin, group of 8/9. I was getting tired towards the end of the spin and it sometimes took more effort than it should have done to stay with the group. I had a Garmin on, but I let it run from the moment the cycle began until I reached my front door. With stopping at lights, a level crossing, slow moving traffic etc. any stats from it, apart from overall distance, would be meaningless, so I won’t post them here.
    Totals; 3.5 hrs – 100.75km

p.m.
    Run
    Tempo Run;
    Warm up - 6.46km in 33.42, 5.13/km
    Tempo pace - 5.19km in 19.24, 3.44/km
    Recovery - 2.63km in 14.29, 5.30/km
    Tempo pace - 5.23km in 19.36, 3.44/km
    Cool down - 3.58km in 19.56, 5.34/km
    Totals; 2.0hrs - 23.09km
    The warm up for this was a run from my apartment to The Phoenix Park and a lap of the Playing Fields. My plan was to run two laps of the Playing Fields at tempo pace, one lap as recovery, then two more at tempo pace. I thought after the cycle earlier in the day, I wouldn’t be running very fast. I did the exact same run last week and averaged 3.54 and 3.49 for the two tempo paced efforts. Neither was a target pace today though and I started running off feel. About half way through the first lap I saw my watch showing an average pace of 3.45/km, which I was happy with. I slightly increased the effort to get and keep the pace under 3.45/km, after seeing this. I finished off the first two laps with an average pace of 3.44/km and eased up quite a bit on my recovery lap. I’d been looking at my watch a lot during my first tempo paced run and resolved not to look at it once during the second run. I resisted the temptation and when I finally finished the second two laps, I was happy to see I’d matched the pace of the first effort. The self-talk throughout though was more along the lines of ‘Hurry up, you’re going too slow.’ than ‘You’re doing fine, just keep this up.’
    Last year for my training for the Connemarathon, I set my tempo pace at <3.45/km and I found it a tough pace to hold in the initial phase of my training. The distances were longer than 5km and I still found it tough tonight, but regardless of that I was happy to be able to hold this pace again. It was blustery and after the 100km cycle earlier in the day, I’m sure it wasn’t the ideal scenario to be trying to run fast. I managed it though, and in a perverse sort of way enjoyed it.

Totals;
    Swim; 8.0hrs – 20,200m
    Bike; 10.0hrs – 274.25km
    Run; 7.0hrs – 77.11km
    S & C; 1.5hrs

I’m happy with how this week went. I’d no specific targets in mind, other than getting back into a proper routine of training. I only returned to work after Christmas on Monday and this was the best possible time to get a routine going. I achieved this much, and while the sessions might vary over the coming months, it’s a routine I hope to stick too.

I have a feeling this log is going to make the rest of us feel like total wussy, excuse making feckers....

Was on path round the playing fields yesterday, do not know how you ran in that!

joey100 wrote: »
    how you think the body will hold up to all the training Zico? From your last log you don't seem to get injured and must look after yourself well. Best of luck with the training, and I'm another who will be following the race.

I honestly expect I'll be able to handle it. I'd estimate I ran 500km in each of the five months from November 2013 to March last year. Doing that put me at far greater risk of injury than anything I'll be doing over the next while. I cycled pretty much all day for two weeks straight in France practically straight after finishing my marathon training, with absolutely no problems. Once your bike is set up correctly and barring crashes I think there is very little injury risk here. Swimming is what I'd actually be most concerned about right now, I've had some muscle soreness since ramping up the volume only a few months ago, but no joint pain. If I had I'd be alarmed, but muscle soreness is to be expected, happens as well if I neglect strength training for a few weeks, as I am wont to do. That's one thing I plan to be more consistent with this year.

I don't honestly think I do look after myself very well. I went to a physio last December for the first time in my life, after being told at a bike fitting I did in August that I needed to go. The four month time lapse should give a clue as to the level of urgency I attached to the recommendation. The physio certainly did help and I plan to go back. Tight ball and socket joint in my hip was the prognosis, but it was never sore and didn't impact on my training.
    Over the years, I've slowly built up to the training hours you see me log now and I have avoided general wear and tear injuries over the last few years, but I am not invincible sadly. I gave myself a hernia sometime last year. But like my ball and socket joint, it's not in anyway painful, poses no danger, and it doesn't bother me at all. I could have surgery to get it fixed, but don't see the point in cutting myself open for it.

I have a feeling this log is going to make the rest of us feel like total wussy, excuse making feckers....

Was on path round the playing fields yesterday, do not know how you ran in that!

Bar ice, I'm prepared to run in most conditions. I'm a fair weather cyclist though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Will follow with interest.

Dory Dory wrote: »
    I assume no specific IM coach this time again? As a teacher, I assume you have the summer off, so getting in 30 hours/week should not be too much of an issue, really. If I am correct in my thinking, then brilliant for you! I'd love to be able to turn my full attention to training to test the potential.

I've July and August off. I won't deny it's great for training, but I don't think it gives an extra motivation to go out for a 6 hour bike ride. The biggest benefit by far is the rest I can get. Going back in September interrupts my sleeping more than my training. All hypothetical, but I'm pretty sure I'd train just as much in most other jobs.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I am full of admiration of your stated goals, and of the chutzpah with which you state them. That's rare around these parts!

Even now, the volume you are putting in is huge. Another league entirely, but I'm glad to be a spectator and see how it goes for you. Bravo and good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

good stuff
    and i see the hated metronome , is being used now and deemed useful .

What time did you do for the swim in the IM last year?

• Advertisement

peter kern wrote: »
    good stuff
    and i see the hated metronome , is being used now and deemed useful .

See I do listen.:)

Tunney, it was non wetsuit and I swam 1.03, but you need to bear in my mind Tim Don swam 45 minutes when considering my time.

See I do listen.:)

Tunney, it was non wetsuit and I swam 1.03, but you need to bear in my mind Tim Don swam 45 minutes when considering my time.

Investing 8 hours a week in swimming where do you see it going down to from 63?

tunney wrote: »
    Investing 8 hours a week in swimming where do you see it going down to from 63?

Firstly I think you could add 2-3 minutes to that to get a more accurate 3,800m swim time.
    September is a long way away, so right now it's hard to make a prediction on my swim time. Pulling numbers from thin air, if it's the same 'favourable' conditions as last year, I'd hope to go under an hour. 8 hours a week might seem like a huge investment for three minutes, but swimming is by far my weakest discipline and right now in the middle of winter is the time I'm going to make the biggest gains in the water. I'll more than likely reduce my time in the water after April, by then I reckon it will be just about maintaining whatever level I have reached.
    I know I've improved since last September and I can't tell you by exactly how much more I will improve, but whatever it is, I am certain further improvement will come.

I'll do some 10k races in a few months to see if I'm losing much run speed, and depending on how they go, I'll reassess the time I'm spending swim training.

Dory Dory wrote: »

Sorry Dory, I forgot to respond to this earlier. Right now I've no coach, nor do I have any plans to get one. But I haven't ruled it in or out either. If I was to hire a coach, it would almost certainly a two year commitment, which for the level of service I'd want would be a big expense. I'll continue doing my own thing over the next few months anyway, and depending on how my training and race results go, I might take another look at coaching then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Good luck Zico,
    looking forward to shame of only getting in 10 hours a week and you hitting 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭daithiK1

Firstly I think you could add 2-3 minutes to that to get a more accurate 3,800m swim time.
    September is a long way away, so right now it's hard to make a prediction on my swim time. Pulling numbers from thin air, if it's the same 'favourable' conditions as last year, I'd hope to go under an hour. 8 hours a week might seem like a huge investment for three minutes, but swimming is by far my weakest discipline and right now in the middle of winter is the time I'm going to make the biggest gains in the water. I'll more than likely reduce my time in the water after April, by then I reckon it will be just about maintaining whatever level I have reached.
    I know I've improved since last September and I can't tell you by exactly how much more I will improve, but whatever it is, I am certain further improvement will come.

I'll do some 10k races in a few months to see if I'm losing much run speed, and depending on how they go, I'll reassess the time I'm spending swim training.

Good luck with the log.
    I believe you are doing the right thing with the all the swimming. However imo a focus on long efficient swimming with relaxed breathing would be way more beneficial for you later in the race than specifically aimed at getting the time down, as in less clock work more just get in and swim. Also post April some of them sessions if done right would be super recovery sets...

Monday 12th January
    a.m.
    Cycle
    1 hour turbo, easy spinning
    Totals; 1.0hrs – 25km

p.m.
    S. & C.
    45 minutes lower body

Run
    30 minutes on treadmill @ 12km/hr
    Totals; 0.5hrs – 6km

Swim
    400m warm up
    5*400m off 7.15 (Coming in on 6.45 approximately)
    100 easy
    4*100m off 1.45 (1.35 approximately)
    I was wrecked by the end of this session. The set of five 400s had me fncked from the start. I went out second for the first set, but was dropped by the lead swimmer straight away and there was no drafting benefit whatsoever after 25m. After this I let the guy who was 3rd jump in front of me and I failed to hold his feet as well. I was demoted again on the third 400, I’m usually faster than the girl who was now ahead of me and I was losing her feet tonight. I had to work much harder than I would have expected to come in on the times I did and I was a bit disappointed with this immediately after the session. A positive to take from it though is that this time 12 months ago I barely would have managed a 400m TT in under 7 minutes, tonight I swam five 400s in a row all well under 7 minutes. Important to remember, it doesn’t get easier, you just go faster.
    Totals; 1.0hrs – 2,900m

Tuesday 13th January
    a.m.
    Swim
    NAC , 50m pool
    800 warm up, last 100 @ 80% (did the 600 with a pull buoy)
    4*100 off 1.55 (getting 5-10 seconds rest)
    100 easy pull
    4*100 off 1.50 (getting 5-10 seconds rest)
    100 easy pull
    3*100 off 1.45 (1.38, 1.40, 1.42)
    100 easy pull
    3*100 off 1.45 (1.38, 1.43, 1,40)
    200 easy pull
    400 paddles & pull buoy
    10*50 off 65 seconds (coming in on 55 seconds)
    200 cool down
    I did this very same session in a 25m pool before and the times I swam off were 10 seconds faster then. That time I failed to make the last 100 in the first set of 3*100s and two out of the three in the second set. I guess 1.45 in a LC pool is a lot more generous than 1.35 in a SC. All the same, making all the times did surprise me, especially as I didn't feel like I was in the zone today. I felt tired getting into the water and halfway through the 4*100s off 1.55, I thought 'how the fnck?' was I going to manage swimming 100s off 1.45. The NAC has three lap clocks all in sync on the side wall. They’re not always working, but today they were. Breathing bilaterally, I was always able to see one of the clocks on every second breath, and I was always aware if I was behind or ahead of time. This undoubtedly helped to keep me focussed and I worked hard to make the times (especially so on the very last 100, flailing my arms wildly and almost uncontrollably the closer I got to the end. I was banjaxed after each set though, and clock or no clock, I don't think I would have managed a fourth 100 at the pace I was swimming.
    Totals; 1.5hrs – 3,900m

p.m.
    Run
    Long Run; 35.40km in 3.02.07
    I ran this along The Royal Canal Way from Clonsilla to a few kilometres beyond Maynooth and back. Starting off, I had between 2-2½ hours in my head as the approximate time I’d run for. I felt fine after one hour running and continued on the path. I meet very few people when I run this route, and the dark combined with the inclement weather, meant there were even fewer people on it tonight. I was enjoying the solitude and kept going until I had almost an hour and a half ran. I had been running against the wind and had held an average pace of 5.01/km up until that. I thought coming back with the wind at my back I’d be quicker without even trying on the home leg. This was the case for about 4km, but things fell apart after that. It became a slog after 2 hours and I was regretting having not turned for home earlier. Kept going and when I eventually finished up I had taken 5 minutes longer to run the return leg, than I had on the way out. My watch showed my average pace on the leg home was 5.14, 13 seconds slower than I had held on the way out. Nearly better off not having a Garmin in situations like this.
    Totals; 3.0 hrs – 35.40km

Wednesday 14th January
    a.m.
    Swim
    NAC, 50m pool
    400m with fins and snorkel
    7*400m pull (alternating w./w.out paddles)
    400m as 50 fast & 50 easy (probably not all that fast if truth be told)
    200m as 50 backstroke/50 front crawl (w.fins)
    I didn’t wear a watch and paid no attention to the clock throughout the session. I’d taken a decision after last night’s run not to do any hard work in the pool this morning and use it as the session as recovery instead. I’d a hard turbo planned for the evening, so I wanted a session minimal kicking. I’d planned pull sets of 400, but started to feel cold as I got towards the end of the 90 minutes, so that’s why I threw in some full stroke at the end.
    Totals; 1.5hrs – 3,800m

p.m.
    Cycle
    Turbo;
    10.00 warm up,
    20.00 hard (78 rpm) & 10.00 recovery, (dropped a gear) 12.00 hard (74 rpm) & 6.00 recovery, (dropped another gear) 5.00 hard (71 rpm) & 3.00 recovery, 5.00 hard (72 rpm), 9.00 cool down
    I lifted this session from Peter’s blog. He hadn’t detailed recovery, so I had to decide on the recoveries myself. They were a bit longer than I strictly needed, but it’s still winter and I didn’t want to be killing myself.
    Totals; 1.5hrs – 45km

Thursday 15th January
    a.m.
    Swim
    Coached Session, 25m pool
    WU 200;
    200m warm up
    200m (as 25 kick, 25 easy);
    200m (as 12.5 kick, 12.5 sprint, 25 easy);
    150m full stroke underwater
    200m (as 12.5m kick, 12.5m sprint, 25m easy);
    5 x 100m fast (1.40 approximately) with 20 seconds rest, 100m easy,
    4 x 100m fast (1.36 approximately) with 20 seconds rest, 100m easy,
    3 x 100m fast (1.36 approximately) with 20 seconds rest,
    400m easy
    5 x 50m fast; (45 seconds approximately)
    4 x 25m fast; (20 seconds approximately)

50m backstroke
    I was working hard for the fast 100s, but I was happy with the times I managed to hold. I was told by the coach that I’m too tense in the water and I’m not relaxing my arms on my recovery.
    Totals; 1.5hrs – 3,200m

p.m.
    S & C
    30 minutes weights; upper body

Run
    Treadmill;
    Warm up 10 minutes at 2% gradient
    3 Minutes at 14.0km/hr & 4% gradient
    Recovery 2 minutes at 0%
    5 minutes at 14.0km/hr & 4% gradient
    Recovery 2 minutes at 0% gradient
    3 minutes at 14.2km/hr & 2% gradient
    5 minutes at 14.2km/hr & 3% gradient
    5 minutes at 14.2km/hr & 4% gradient
    5 minutes at 14.3km/hr & 5% gradient

Recovery 2 minutes at 0% gradient
    3 minutes at 14.0km/hr & 2% gradient
    2 minutes at 14.0km/hr & 6% gradient
    2 minutes at 13.8km/hr & 7% gradient
    1 minutes at 13.8km/hr & 8% gradient

COOL DOWN 10 minutes at 0%
    I haven’t done this session for years, but as running outdoors wasn’t all that appealing today, I resurrected it today. I forget what speed I used back when I used to do. I had the session recorded with suggested heart rate zones for each interval. I don’t train by heart rate, so I did the intervals off perceived effort. I forget what paces I ran at, but I always remember it being a tough session. I approached it the same way today. It was a tough session once more, made more difficult as it was hard keep my core temperature down with the poxy little fan on the treadmill. I feel the pain is more pronounced when running on treadmill and my arms were tensing up at certain moments, which brought to mind what Peter had said to in the pool earlier about being too tense in the water as well.
    Totals; 1.0hr – 12.85km

Friday 16th January
    a.m.
    Cycle
    Turbo, 1 hour easy spinning
    Totals; 1.0hrs – 25km

p.m.
    Swim
    Coached Session – 25m
    14*50m off 60 seconds
    4 sets of 3*200m off 3.35 (coming in on 3.20-3.25)

25m backstroke (I just did this to get to the shallow end to make it easier to get out of the pool)
    This was another tough swim session. I was in a lane with swimmers whose feet I just couldn’t hold. I made the times the coach set us, though I wasn’t getting as much rest as the others in the lane. On an easy day this was much harder than it should have been. It’s made me consider cutting back the hours next week, something I was originally going to do the following week. I’ll see how I get through the weekend before making a call on it.
    Totals; 1.0hrs – 3,100m

Saturday 17th January
    Cycle
    3 hour turbo, moderate effort
    I’d normally do a swim on a Saturday morning, but I hadn’t an alarm set, woke up late, and missed the usual 8 a.m. – 10 a.m. window when the NAC is 50m. I postponed it until tomorrow and as it was icy outside hopped on my turbo for a cycle.
    Totals; 3.0hrs – 82.5km

Run
    17.89km in 1.29.06, 4.58/km
    I did this soon after getting off the turbo. I wasn’t trying to mimic a race, it’s just I had arranged to meet a friend at 5 p.m. and consequently running later in the evening wasn’t an option. I ran along by the Royal Canal from Ashtown to a few kilometres beyond Clonsilla. It was an easy effort and I only took my Garmin with me as I wanted to track the distance from my home to the level crossing in Clonsilla for future reference. I’ve ran it many times before, but never made a note of the distance until now.
    Totals; 1.5hrs – 17.89km

Sunday 18th January
    I went to the NAC to make up for yesterday’s missed swim, but there was a gala taking place when I got there. Members were confined to three lanes of a 25m pool. Three lanes only is ridiculous, but it’s often the case in the NAC. I think the NAC is a fantastic facility, but members get treated poorly in this regard and management don’t seem to care. Anyway I took one look at the pool and saw it was chock-a-block. Going for a swim would have frustrated the hell out of me, so I turned round and walked back out the door.

Cycle
    Big gear work on turbo as;
    20.00 warm up, {4.00 hardest gear & 4.00 recovery} x 12, 4.00 cool down
    After another morning of no swimming, I was back on the turbo. I haven’t been doing much power stuff on the bike recently and figured it wouldn’t be the worst idea in the world to start it now. My housemate had done this earlier in the day, so I copied the session. My rpm fell in the later reps, nothing alarming though.
    Totals; 2.0hrs – 60km

Run
    90 minute run with 8*100m strides
    I wanted this to be easy and didn’t want to be distracted by a watch. I ran at an easy pace for about an hour and a half, and did the strides towards the end of the run. I mapped the route on mapmyrun afterwards and got the distance from this.
    Totals; 1.5hrs – 16.5km

Weekly Totals;
    Swim; 6.5hrs – 16,900m
    Bike; 8.5hrs – 237.5km
    Run; 7.5hrs – 88.64km
    S & C; 1.5hrs

Volumes are slightly down on last week, which is no big deal. It only happened because of one less swim session and not doing a Sunday morning group spin because of icy roads. So what would have been a 3-4 hour spin became a 2 hour session on the turbo. And in truth it was probably no harm to miss the swim after the slight niggle I felt on Thursday morning and how fatigued I felt Friday evening. It was an easy weekend and I feel better for it. I should be able for similar hours next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

I was a parent at that NAC gala for the morning session. Gazing longingly at the mostly empty 25m pool, and then at the 10-year-olds knocking at 100's under 1:10...

I figured you were there Kurt. A packed pool is what I get for procrastinating, a bad habit I need to work on.

• Advertisement

Have purposely avoided joining pools where this can happen. Was looking at changing gyms a year or so ago but the pool is often closed for lessons, would always want to have my choice. Sometimes half a lane in my pool will be closed but fast lane always available.

Advertisement