Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Illegal dumping options

• 31-03-2019 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi guys,

Hope someone may be able to help me out.

I'm living on the border to a college in Cork that has large area of land anyone can get into. People used to go out there and dump rubbish and then start illegal fires.

Last year, after I had surgery, I looked out into my back garden and saw that someone and thrown a couch, mattress and bed base into my garden. I phoned the council who refused to even come up and said since it was private property (even though it is a council house) that I had to get rid of it.

I was still healing from surgery so couldn't do much so left it there and since I then people have been throwing more stuff in as they seen that it was not being removed. I tried to get photos of these people but the wall is too high and perfect for them to hide behind while they fling stuff in and by the time I get out, they are gone.

I contacted everyone I could think of from my local warden to my Councillors who said they would talk with the college but nothing was being done.

My neighbor was helping me build a new wall and the fencing he took down he propped it against the wall and when I looked out over to the college, I seen that they were using it as a base so they could light there fire which now terrifies me into thinking when the wardens do come up they will think I had something to do with this.

The question I am asking is, would I be within my right to throw this rubbish back over the wall?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Unable to get help to deal with this sort of deliquent behaviour must be stressful.
    I expect one complication is that it's on private property so the council is not obliged to get involved with the dumping. I think it is still worth asking them to put some pressure on the property owner to secure the site and deal with the rubbish.

However, the Council's Environmental Protection officer should take action against illegal burning. (Though I didn't even get a reply on the one occassion I contacted them.) Have you notified the Garda of antisocial behaviour?

If your old fencing material is adding to the worry it's probably best to arrange to have it moved on your property or taken to the dump. Remember that waste can only be handled by an authorised company. But a friend or relative could deal with it and take it to the dump for you.

Finally, local elections are imminent. Maybe a conscientious councillor would like to get involved.
    Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

khlo12313 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Hope someone may be able to help me out.

I'm living on the border to a college in Cork that has large area of land anyone can get into. People used to go out there and dump rubbish and then start illegal fires.

Last year, after I had surgery, I looked out into my back garden and saw that someone and thrown a couch, mattress and bed base into my garden. I phoned the council who refused to even come up and said since it was private property (even though it is a council house) that I had to get rid of it.

I was still healing from surgery so couldn't do much so left it there and since I then people have been throwing more stuff in as they seen that it was not being removed. I tried to get photos of these people but the wall is too high and perfect for them to hide behind while they fling stuff in and by the time I get out, they are gone.

I contacted everyone I could think of from my local warden to my Councillors who said they would talk with the college but nothing was being done.

My neighbor was helping me build a new wall and the fencing he took down he propped it against the wall and when I looked out over to the college, I seen that they were using it as a base so they could light there fire which now terrifies me into thinking when the wardens do come up they will think I had something to do with this.

The question I am asking is, would I be within my right to throw this rubbish back over the wall?

sadly I doubt it and given the source of it it would be dumped again. wish it were that simple

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

I think it would be good to talk to the Facilities Manager for the college and aske them to meet you at the affected area so they can explain to you how they are going to prevent illegal dumping on their property.

Advertisement