Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

first wintersports holiday.....next week...please recommend?

• 13-03-2008 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

hi all sorry if this is against forum rules (I did have a quick look)

Myself and the Mrs are off for a week from next tuesday (18/03 - 24/03) and fancy going skiing for the first time. I am just about to start looking myself and thought I would put a thread up here to see what ye came up with.

I am looking for somewhere where I can rent everything Boots/passes/lessons/goggles/whatever else I need daily (although I can borrow some bits from my brother) & with a decent town near by (just incase I dont like skiing) - although we are on a budget €1000 - €1500

atm I am thinking oberstdorf because my brother goes there & enjoys it.

what do ye think?

ANY suggestion is more than welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

First off, you need to check flights and accommodation, most budget packages go from Saturday to Saturday.
    Boots/passes/lessons/goggles/whatever else I need daily

Boots and Skis you can rent when you arrive at your destination, you will need to be fitted for the correct size and weight.

Passes & Lessons you can also get once you arrive at your destination, although again because of the Package holidays most ski schools will also run from Sat to Sat. However you can get a private lessons between the two of you, which could work out a lot better.

Goggles \ clothes you will need to buy \ borrow, you could possibly rent too from some places, check the FAQ above for shops around Dublin and some general advice on what you will need.

Any resorts I've been too has been unfortunately been far away from any major towns, they are high in the mountains.

Post if you need more info :)

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭3greenrizla's

thanks for the reply,

had a quick look at the ryaniar site & can get to Friedrichshafen for €360 (for noth of us)
    & flights to Munich are around €500 with aerlingus
    +baggage.

where to go from there though?

I am still looking at flights.... just thought I would keep ye updated.

Im not sure on the whole flights thing or where would be best, if you dont me asking is the the €1000 - €1500 each or for both of you?

How many days will you get on the slopes?

ideally yes 1000 - 1500 would be for both of us, (for flights/accom/passes/a lesson or 2) we can stretch though.

I wouldn't mind only having 2 or 3 days skiing if there is something else to do.

do you think I am going to go way over budget?

Its hard to tell, you can cut some costs, like if your both beginners you probably wont need a lift pass until day 3 after that it would cost roughly €35 per day depending on where you are.
    I wouldn't mind only having 2 or 3 days skiing if there is something else to do.

I always tell friends that to be honest on a ski holiday their isn't much else to do, unless you like spending a week at the bar. You can of course do different snow related activities, dog sledding, skidooing\snowmobiling etc but thats kinda it. Even the villages themselves usually close for a couple of hours during the day.

But if you did spend more that 3 days skiing you could be decent at the end of the week, good enough to go all over the mountain on different blue runs. 3 days is kinda the turning point for most beginners.

But because its late season you could also get a very good deal in some of the resorts.

If you do go, you will love it. Ive yet to meet anyone who didn't want to go back again

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

If you change your dates slightly to the weekends then you should be able to find some stupidly cheap deals from one of the tour operators at this time of year.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

If you do go, you will love it. Ive yet to meet anyone who didn't want to go back again

I know two people who went once and refused to go back on the slopes after their first day, never mind the first week.

In general though I agree that the vast majority of people who go love it and despite the higher cost of a ski holiday compared to other holidays, they usually make plans to go again.

As for other non ski things to do, as it is late season it may be possible to take a day off, go to a nearby city (if applicable) or other local interest places lower down the mountain. I'm sure google can help you see if there are any places of interest within an hour or so of your resort, and I'm sure rental cars for the day won't set you back too much.

thanks for all the advice, I am just home from work now & about to start the search again.

so flights & accom are booked - total €750. going to oberstdorf. I am going to borrow whatever can from family.

I still need to sort out insurance €18 with getcover.com

does anyone know of anything cheaper?

also any more hints/tips are more than welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

Intersport in Oberstdorf is cheaper to rent gear than Alpine Skischule.
    If that helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

Intersport is the job. Ask anyone and they'll point you to it. Head around the back and down to the basement.
    They will have loads of stuff on sale upstairs. Got myself a helmet marked down from €95 to €40 a few weeks ago.
    Should be good discounts as the season is tailing off.

EDIT: helmet was bought in SportMarkt not Intersport. Still, they'll be selling stuff off too.

Hi all,

just to update everyone, we had a great time in Germany.

I didn't see yer recomendations before I left & i went to Alpine Skischule for ski-rental & lessons - it was the first place we saw. we found hem decent enough though, €45 each for a day's lesson with ski's included, €15 for ski rental. we got 1 days lesson & rented gear for 2 extra days.

total spend for both of us was €1200 and we didn't penny pinch whilst there either, I think skiing is a good DIY holiday, and seems to be overpriced on package deals, especially as we just wanted to have a bit of fun in the snow.

Glad you had a good time, thats what its all about at the end of the day.

Will you go back skiing?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

did you eat in the restaurants in town?? There's some REALLY good food to be had around Oberstdorf.

Glad you had a good time, thats what its all about at the end of the day.

Will you go back skiing?

as soon as cheap flights come up for next feb I will be booking next years trip, & cant wait. I can see why skiers become so obbsesed with their holidays.

I will be going for more than a few days next year though & bringing a few friends.
    ShayK1 wrote: »
    did you eat in the restaurants in town?? There's some REALLY good food to be had around Oberstdorf.

yeah the food was quite good, although I found the lack of english on the menu & the lack of veggie options a bit of a problem.

German Beer is lovley though.

Advertisement