Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

12-11-2019, 20:33   #1
paddymcg

New Mavic mini

Anyone getting the new dji Mavic mini. Under 250g so doesn't have to be registered. 2.7k camera. Size of a average smartphone. 4km range. 30 minute flight. €399. Or €499 for fly more combo pack which comes with 3 batteries extra propellers and a case.

Last edited by paddymcg; 12-11-2019 at 20:49.
Advertisement
17-11-2019, 19:51   #2
squonk

Send a message via MSN to squonk Send a message via Skype™ to squonk
Yeah, I have one ordered. It’s still waiting to ship but I’m looking forward to finally getting it whenever that will be
18-11-2019, 16:08   #3
seannash

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddymcg View Post
Anyone getting the new dji Mavic mini. Under 250g so doesn't have to be registered. 2.7k camera. Size of a average smartphone. 4km range. 30 minute flight. €399. Or €499 for fly more combo pack which comes with 3 batteries extra propellers and a case.

Just on the 4km range. You wont get that in Ireland as you'll be using the CE version which I believe is restricted.
No obstacle avoidance either.
I'm not sold on it. I have the spark and the only thing thats tempting me is the flight time.
Still a great price
19-11-2019, 20:01   #4
squonk

Send a message via MSN to squonk Send a message via Skype™ to squonk
Yeah, I think 4Km is a bit far to send one of these anyway even if you could. I have a phantom 3 which I can get out to about 1.5 miles in hilly terrain. That’s more than enough and I generally fly nearby missions really.
19-11-2019, 20:08   #5
paddymcg

Yeah I've seen range tests done on the ce version. Up to 2k. Had a phantom 3 myself before but would generally loose range at about 700 meters. Sold it as found it was too big not portable enough. Be nice to have a bit more range but. Dont care about the obstacle avoidance as I never had it before with the phantom. Interesting to see what range anyone gets here in ireland.
Advertisement
19-11-2019, 23:30   #6
FrostyJack

I am picking one up tomorrow so hopefully will have a range test done by the weekend. Apparently the CE lock is GPS controlled, so say you brought it to the US it would revert to FCC spec and would have higher output. One youtube test in urban environment showed it got 600m, that isn't bad I suppose. I don't think I would risk testing that with the risk of interference. The price and portability is what sold me on it.
20-11-2019, 01:05   #7
paddymcg

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyJack View Post
I am picking one up tomorrow so hopefully will have a range test done by the weekend. Apparently the CE lock is GPS controlled, so say you brought it to the US it would revert to FCC spec and would have higher output. One youtube test in urban environment showed it got 600m, that isn't bad I suppose. I don't think I would risk testing that with the risk of interference. The price and portability is what sold me on it.
Ok would appreciate if you let me know how you got on and what you think of it. Cheers
20-11-2019, 09:53   #8
stuff.hunter

well, as far as I'm aware, Mini comes in two versions FCC and CE with model numbers with drones GPS responsible for changing between modes so usual FCC 'hack' used on Air or Spark probably wont work.

Personally wouldn't buy it as there's very little or when comparing to Air:
- very similar dimensions
- weight itself doesn't really matter in EU

and a lot of disadvantages:
- no sensors
- degraded camera
- need controller
- badly overpriced, at the end of the day its more a toy and you can buy far superior drone for less (e.g. Hubsan Zino)

..but that's my personal opinion
20-11-2019, 10:49   #9
seannash

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuff.hunter View Post
well, as far as I'm aware, Mini comes in two versions FCC and CE with model numbers with drones GPS responsible for changing between modes so usual FCC 'hack' used on Air or Spark probably wont work.

Personally wouldn't buy it as there's very little or when comparing to Air:
- very similar dimensions
- weight itself doesn't really matter in EU

and a lot of disadvantages:
- no sensors
- degraded camera
- need controller
- badly overpriced, at the end of the day its more a toy and you can buy far superior drone for less (e.g. Hubsan Zino)

..but that's my personal opinion
I don't think you could compare it to the Air. Its a totally different pricepoint no? Practically double the price.
I think a comparison to the Spark is fairer
Advertisement
20-11-2019, 10:52   #10
ozmo

Keeping an eye on this - size, low noise and battery life look great
but range doesnt looks impressive on uk youtube videos - with video breaking up completely at as near as 320m in wide open fields - probably worse with a few houses around.

Also wasn't impressed not being able adjust brightness of the image so the ground looks quite dark when there is sky in the shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InTOYI2dRb0 (see 5m13s in)
20-11-2019, 11:04   #11
stuff.hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by seannash View Post
I don't think you could compare it to the Air. Its a totally different pricepoint no? Practically double the price.
I think a comparison to the Spark is fairer
true but tried to point out that Mini's specs / price ratio is very bad even comparing to the Spark
20-11-2019, 11:09   #12
seannash

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuff.hunter View Post
true but tried to point out that Mini's specs / price ratio is very bad even comparing to the Spark
The big sell would be the flight time for me.
Better camera on the mini compared to the Spark.
Not sure what a Spark is going for now but I think its a similar price point.
Spark struggles in wind too.
Its tough to call to be honest. I have the spark and the flight time frustrated me, its manageable with extra batteries but constantly swapping them out gets tiresome
20-11-2019, 11:09   #13
stuff.hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmo View Post
Keeping an eye on this - size, low noise and battery life look great
but range doesnt looks impressive on uk youtube videos - with video breaking up completely at as near as 320m in wide open fields - probably worse with a few houses around.

Also wasn't impressed not being able adjust brightness of the image so the ground looks quite dark when there is sky in the shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InTOYI2dRb0 (see 5m13s in)
yup, plus Minis GPS looks dodgy, it seem to lose satellites lock which I've seen on other videos as well (9 - 12 satellites locked on), thats pretty weird especially in open area
20-11-2019, 11:13   #14
stuff.hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by seannash View Post
The big sell would be the flight time for me.
Better camera on the mini compared to the Spark.
Not sure what a Spark is going for now but I think its a similar price point.
Spark struggles in wind too.
Its tough to call to be honest. I have the spark and the flight time frustrated me, its manageable with extra batteries but constantly swapping them out gets tiresome
you're right with flying time but other than that, still would go for Spark
20-11-2019, 20:00   #15
FrostyJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuff.hunter
you're right with flying time but other than that, still would go for Spark
Spark has half the battery life, 720p vs 2.7k camera, almost half the range, lower wind tolerance and cost more new. The only thing it really has over the mini is the follow me mode and few other quick shot features which could be added on firmware down the line. Unless you have a spark and don't think it is worth the upgrade there is no real metric to pick it over the mini. It is even more expensive on Amazon even though it is a year or 2 older.

I updated mine and charged it up but weather was too bad to fly today. Hopefully conditions are better tomorrow and can actually test it and see if spec is anyway true. I didn't get the fly more combo which I regret now as I could have 3 batteries ready to go. Seemed to be charging for ages with the usb micro charger I am using.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion