Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Drone laws being introduced.

• 03-01-2019 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭

"New laws that will see more drones requiring registration are coming into effect in Ireland this year.

Owners of drones here that weigh more than 250 grams will have to register the device.

Previously it was only drones over 1kg that had to be registered."

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/new-laws-mean-more-drones-will-need-to-be-registered-in-ireland-895354.html

I was planning to pick up a small cheap drone to see if I enjoy the hobby and want to go bigger. The one I was looking at was 450grams, which according to these changes, I would have to register.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Stupid knee jerk reaction to a situation that may not Have actually happened at all in the UK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭badtoro

If, and everyone will have different perspectives on it, people disagree with registration the squeaky wheel gets the oil. Email your local td's , particularly in FG & FF and outline your case. Follow up on that email is important.

This does work, if enough people do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,570 ✭✭✭✭listermint

If you are objecting you should be objecting on a cost base analysis.

i.e how much would operating maintaining such a system of registration cost.

including GDPR requirements.

Put a figure on it. Thats where the objections should lie rather than 'i like my freedom flying drones'

TDs only see money.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Crumplecorn

It comes after thousands of flights were disrupted due to drone activity at London's Gatwick Airport before Christmas.
    This is the Best Kind of Correct, but misleading.

This has been coming for a while.

I'm trying to wrap my head around it at the moment, but for small (<900g) drones it seems significantly more liberal than SI563/2015 in terms of where you can fly (in cases where the SI applies anyway). There seem to be some potential gotchas for existing drones, e.g. max energy and electronic IDs. Registration will be needed (for the operator, but not the drone I think), but currently that's super simple anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Registered my drone on December 6th, still waiting for it to come through in the post. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 Corbother

Top Dog wrote: »
    Registered my drone on December 6th, still waiting for it to come through in the post. :rolleyes:

What's involved in the process do you mind me asking?

Corbother wrote: »
    What's involved in the process do you mind me asking?
    Its a slight bit of a faff, but nothing too complicated. Its a 2 step process. First you register for an account with ASSET, the IAA's online terrain mapping system. Once you verify the account you can register your drone. Pretty straightforward and normal questions - name, address, serial number off the drone, small fee and .... wait.

All the links are available here -> https://www.iaa.ie/general-aviation/drones/drone-registration

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Corbother

Its a slight bit of a faff, but nothing too complicated. Its a 2 step process. First you register for an account with ASSET, the IAA's online terrain mapping system. Once you verify the account you can register your drone. Pretty straightforward and normal questions - name, address, serial number off the drone, small fee and .... wait.

All the links are available here -> https://www.iaa.ie/general-aviation/drones/drone-registration

Many thanks. I'll have to follow suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,151 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

badtoro wrote: »
    If, and everyone will have different perspectives on it, people disagree with registration the squeaky wheel gets the oil. Email your local td's , particularly in FG & FF and outline your case. Follow up on that email is important.

This does work, if enough people do it.

It's a European rule, email your mep if you want but it would seem rather pointless, definitely pointless contacting your td.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭robinwing

Is it illegal to fly a drone on a deserted beach ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,336 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

On the off chance anyone is at all interested, here is a pretty good summary of the Drone Laws here in Germany. Might be interesting to compare with what Ireland is doing if you are into that kind of comparing :) Otherwise please ignore.

robinwing wrote: »
    No

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭Homer

robinwing wrote: »

Depends on how high you want to fly? If you’re in Dublin it would be 15m and any higher you’re breaking the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

a year or more ago I tried to renew the registration for my Phantom 4 Pro but their system wouldn't allow it for some reason, so I eventually gave up altogether.

I haven't tried since because I'm selling it now.

Homer wrote: »
    Depends on how high you want to fly? If you’re in Dublin it would be 15m and any higher you’re breaking the law.
    Where are you getting this information from?

Its not mentioned at all in the IAA FAQ in relation to drones - so if the beach is deserted and over 5km from an aerodrome, then there's nothing stopping you from going up 120m?

https://www.iaa.ie/docs/default-source/misc/drones-questions-and-answers.pdf?sfvrsn=2

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Its not mentioned at all in the IAA FAQ in relation to drones - so if the beach is deserted and over 5km from an aerodrome, then there's nothing stopping you from going up 120m?

https://www.iaa.ie/docs/default-source/misc/drones-questions-and-answers.pdf?sfvrsn=2
    Point 9: In civil or military controlled airspace (specifically Class C airspace)

All the light yellow here is Class C

500343.JPG

Only holders of a SOP and PCC can operate drones above 15m in these areas.

Map is from https://www.flyryte.com/airspace so is for reference only, but Dublin atleast is pretty accurate to the current Irish Aviation Aeronautical Chart.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭Homer

The IAA website is woefully out of date and gives VERY basic rules for drone operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Criminal use of Drones is an issue now.

But otherwise as long as drones are for photos and enjoyment, and don't injure the privacy of homes/gardens off you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Gatling wrote: »
    Stupid knee jerk reaction to a situation that may not Have actually happened at all in the UK

Different country.

Homer wrote: »
    The IAA website is woefully out of date and gives VERY basic rules for drone operation.
    Recently completed my SOP/PCC renewal course and I brought this very point up with my instructor. Referring specifically to this:

drone-guidance.jpg?sfvrsn=f43408f3_0

The closer than 5km from aerodrome is all anyone see's and thinks grand - I can fly around Howth or Cobh or similar, except that point is overruled in most situations by the controlled airspace point.

He agreed with me its too vague and misleading, he's even mentioned it to them but also says the IAA are too slow to change anything most the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

Recently completed my SOP/PCC renewal course and I brought this very point up with my instructor. Referring specifically to this:

drone-guidance.jpg?sfvrsn=f43408f3_0

The closer than 5km from aerodrome is all anyone see's and thinks grand - I can fly around Howth or Cobh or similar, except that point is overruled in most situations by the controlled airspace point.

He agreed with me its too vague and misleading, he's even mentioned it to them but also says the IAA are too slow to change anything most the time.

Do you mind if I ask where you did your course mate? Thinking of doing one myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Fionn wrote: »
    a year or more ago I tried to renew the registration for my Phantom 4 Pro but their system wouldn't allow it for some reason, so I eventually gave up altogether.

I haven't tried since because I'm selling it now.

I have just tried to register with the ASSET system on the IAA website. The process will not accept my email address - says that the entered address and the verification address do not match.... but they do.

I then found a pdf document on the site that also explains the drone registration process that includes a url link to the registration process.... but it is a dead link.

I have sent an email off to them to see what they say.... but it doesn't inspire confidence in the system, if it is this difficult at the first hurdle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

At the time I emailed them a few times but got one reply to try again or whatever, but as far as I could tell, whoever was dealing with registrations weren't that bothered. I did successfully de-register the last drone I had, haven't tried to do it with the present one tho!

That ties in nicely with their lack of urgency when it comes to registering drones. Still waiting on my registration sticker, since December 6th. Emailed last week and got the following vague-as-you-like reply;
    Hi Robert,

You will receive it before February 2020. If you have registered in December then your decal will be sent to you sometime in January.

Your registration number can also be found on your asset account.

Kind Regards,
    Drone Department
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭stuff.hunter

guys, with any issues in regards of registering your bird, email drones@iaa.ie , they should be able to help you out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

guys, with any issues in regards of registering your bird, email drones@iaa.ie , they should be able to help you out

I have sent an email... but surely the online system that they direct you to on their website, should just work without any issue? I have tried two ways of accessing the system through their site and both methods have failed.. for different reasons.

They aren't helping me out.. if their online registration system doesn't work, they have a bigger problem than I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭stuff.hunter

Ger Roe wrote: »
    I have sent an email... but surely the online system that they direct you to on their website, should just work without any issue? I have tried two ways of accessing the system through their site and both methods have failed.. for different reasons.

They aren't helping me out.. if their online registration system doesn't work, they have a bigger problem than I do.

well, thats odd to be honest. I've registered my Air a few months ago without any issues, just waiting time to get sticker posted was almost 2 months long

Do you mind if I ask where you did your course mate? Thinking of doing one myself.
    PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 28,069 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

What's the cost of getting your commercial license, I see on one of the irish sites it's €849 for IAA Ground-School & Flight Test Package, do you need to renew that every year as it's another €299.
    How much roughly is insurance once you have the licence got?

• Advertisement

What's the cost of getting your commercial license, I see on one of the irish sites it's €849 for IAA Ground-School & Flight Test Package, do you need to renew that every year as it's another €299.
    How much roughly is insurance once you have the licence got?
    €850 - Ground School Course and Examination + IAA flight Assessment
    €148 - IAA fee for PCC certification
    €148 - IAA fee for SOP certification
    €360 - Third party liability + hull(drone) insurance

Total: €1506

Insurance every 12 months

IAA fees are every 24 months
    The refresher course plus flight test is also every 24 months (much cheaper than initial tests)

You need to have third party liability insurance in place before you can complete a flight exam and submit the IAA documents.

Now this is based on my personnel experience so the final numbers (especially the insurance quote) might differ slightly.

Hope that helps.

Advertisement