Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hand scarifier

• 21-05-2019 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭

Is this basically a rake? I have a small garden with grass in it and the grass has some moss on it. I saw lidl had hand scarifiers and four the amount of grass I have I thought that might be the fix for me. But would I be right to say that it's basically a fancy description for a rake? And would a rake work to get rid of moss without damaging the grass significantly?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,027 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

blue note wrote: »
    Is this basically a rake? I have a small garden with grass in it and the grass has some moss on it. I saw lidl had hand scarifiers and four the amount of grass I have I thought that might be the fix for me. But would I be right to say that it's basically a fancy description for a rake? And would a rake work to get rid of moss without damaging the grass significantly?

I havent seen the Lidl one, but if its a scarifier then its most likely designed to work in push mode, rather than a rake which you pull.

Its much easier to use a push motion (like a hand mower) than raking.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

On the same theme ie hand tools, I managed to find a pair of one handed shears that are nimbler than the usual ones.. Had a pair years ago and they were grand..Th e grass out back is like hay this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

How about

https://www.wolf-garten.com/en/products/lawns/scarifier/detail/ean/4008423878035/pcat/lawncare/ .

Its not a bad tool handy if you have a lot of creeping weeds like buttercups in the lawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,113 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Used the Lidl scarifier on a small lawn two years ago. It's not a rake. It's got a line of blades that are sycle shaped. You pull it towards you. It rips out all the moss etc. Really though work. I did mine in two directions, bags of stuff off it. It was a poor lawn but by then I had reddened enough soil as well, scattered some lawn seed, raked it to cover seed and tamped down with the back of a shovel.
    Great lawn result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

iirc the lidl one is similar to the Wolf scarifier but without the wheels?

• Advertisement
Advertisement