Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Burping noise from plughole

• 11-05-2019 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Any advice on a burping noise from bathroom sink after water goes down?
    I noticed this a couple of weeks ago and its driving me mad. It's starting in the kitchen sink now too.
    My bathroom is downstairs and adjacent to the kitchen... in case that helps the investigation.
    There is no bad smell, no blockage, water draining fine, bath and shower plugholes are silent.
    The burping noise can last up to 20 mins after using the sink either from letting out a full basin of water or just a tap running for washing hands.
    It happens with either hot or cold water going down.
    Haven't got a pattern for the kitchen one burping yet.
    It's a small town cottage so I can even hear it when I'm watching TV.....with doors closed.
    Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

MissGriff wrote: »
    Any advice on a burping noise from bathroom sink after water goes down?
    I noticed this a couple of weeks ago and its driving me mad. It's starting in the kitchen sink now too.
    My bathroom is downstairs and adjacent to the kitchen... in case that helps the investigation.
    There is no bad smell, no blockage, water draining fine, bath and shower plugholes are silent.
    The burping noise can last up to 20 mins after using the sink either from letting out a full basin of water or just a tap running for washing hands.
    It happens with either hot or cold water going down.
    Haven't got a pattern for the kitchen one burping yet.
    It's a small town cottage so I can even hear it when I'm watching TV.....with doors closed.
    Any thoughts?

Have you a private septic tank or are you connected to the public sewer?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭MissGriff

upupup wrote: »
    Have you a private septic tank or are you connected to the public sewer?

Thanks for replying. I'm on the public sewer system.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 decmeister

change the traps to ant-i syphon
    should solve the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

MissGriff wrote: »
    Thanks for replying. I'm on the public sewer system.

I had an idea if you had a septic tank so i cant help

upupup wrote: »
    I had an idea if you had a septic tank so i cant help

No worries..thanks anyway.

• Advertisement

decmeister wrote: »
    change the traps to ant-i syphon
    should solve the problem

Ok thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Tom44

Open air vent (off sewer /drains) is blocked.
    Bird's nest is often the cause. At top of sewer pipe outside house, up close to the gutters or roof.
    Mabey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Each sink/ shower/ bath/ whatever should have it's own discharge pipe to the soil stack. Sometimes an extra unit is added in and say two sinks can end up sharing one discharge pipe. What can happen then, is that when water is let out of one, as it discharges, it sucks air out of the other units trap and you get a gurgling sound. This might explain it.

Advertisement