Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elite Amateur tournament's 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Yeah was thinking that with a field of top amateurs only 4 players to break par in very good conditions is dissapointing. You'd have to imagine the top Americans/british would tear it apart.

Why?

6 of last 7 Irish amateur winner have been Irish and that has a very strong international field.

Just had a quick look and 2 British and 2 Australians in top 50 of WAGR from a much larger pool of players, Ireland also have 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,323 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Yanks off +4 handicap regularly come over to play the west and shoot 90+

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Dr Devious

If the top amateurs can't blitz the point in april with no rough and wind then they'll certainly struggle in May when the rough come up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Donald Trumped

Some more good news in relation to golfers who are currently on a golf scholarships in the other side of the Atlantic.

Forrest Little's Julie McCarthy, has won her first US collegiate golf title by finishing joint 1st in the Clemson Invitational, which was reduced to 36 holes due to bad weather. McCarthy who secured a place in the International team for the Palmer Cup, a annual team event between the US and the Rest of the World, secured her spot after a string of impressive performances for Auburn golf in 2019. Killarney's Catriona Griffin and Lurgan's Maeve Cummins also had victories on the US Collegiate circuit.

The work that the Irish ladies golf union are doing to promoting and improving standards in Irish women's golf, is clearly bearing fruit. With Olivia Meheffey also performing well in the Augusta Women's Amateur, and with Leona Maguire securing her first pro title on the Symetra Tour, women's golf in Ireland is in a really good place at the moment. Long may that continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,960 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Some more good news in relation to golfers who are currently on a golf scholarships in the other side of the Atlantic.

Forrest Little's Julie McCarthy, has won her first US collegiate golf title by finishing joint 1st in the Clemson Invitational, which was reduced to 36 holes due to bad weather. McCarthy who secured a place in the International team for the Palmer Cup, a annual team event between the US and the Rest of the World, secured her spot after a string of impressive performances for Auburn golf in 2019. Killarney's Catriona Griffin and Lurgan's Maeve Cummins also had victories on the US Collegiate circuit.

The work that the Irish ladies golf union are doing to promoting and improving standards in Irish women's golf, is clearly bearing fruit. With Olivia Meheffey also performing well in the Augusta Women's Amateur, and with Leona Maguire securing her first pro title on the Symetra Tour, women's golf in Ireland is in a really good place at the moment. Long may that continue.

Is Dave Kearney still involved with them?

• Advertisement

Athlone Senior Scratch Cup was on today.

i know its not quite elite level but Nenaghs David Reddan shot an elite score and came home the winner in very tough wet freezing cold conditions. The main reason I came on here to post of course was that yours truly picked up a prize! I think I more got a prize just for going the distance, but still, a prize is a prize! A dozen proV's ;)

The Irish Amateur Open championship got underway in County Sligo GC today. Already we have had a bit of history, as Galway's Ronan Mullarney shot a course record 9 under par round of 62 today (previous record was 64 I think) and not surprisingly is the current leader of this prestigious tournament.

Conditions look good there in Sligo and with the forecast for light breezes to continue until tournament's end on Sunday, expect plenty of good scoring in this beautiful part of North West Ireland. Conor Purcell from Portmarnock, who is the highest ranked player in the World Amateur Golf rankings heading into this tournament is at 1 under par, after an opening round of 70.

James Newton claimed victory in the Irish Amateur open golf championship yesterday. He won by 5 shots in tough final round conditions in Co. Sligo GC at 9 under. The Englishman's nearest challenger was Ireland's best amateur at the moment, Portmarnock's Conor Purcell who finished second at 4 under.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

St Andrews Links Trophy kicks off this morning. Defending champion is John Murphy from Kinsale.

https://salt.intelligentgolf.co.uk/competition.php?compid=3446&preview=1

Must be a calm morning looking at those scores!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

fair shooting alright!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

-6 through 9 for peter o'keefe! surely that's his best ever 9 holes!!

Dundalk's Caolan Rafferty currently leads the way in the St Andrews Links Trophy as round 2 completes its halfway stage. Rafferty carded a 7 under par round of 65 to lead at 10 under. He is one shot ahead of Mallow's James Sugrue who shot a 4 under par round of 68 to finish round 2 at 9 under. The 1st round was played yesterday at the Jubilee Course at St Andrews. Rounds 2, 3 and 4 will be played at the infamous world renowned Old Course, where they are at today. The final 36 holes will be played tomorrow. Conor Purcell at 4 under is just starting his second round.

Dundalk's Caolan Rafferty currently leads the way in the St Andrews Links Trophy as round 2 completes its halfway stage. Rafferty carded a 7 under par round of 65 to lead at 10 under. He is one shot ahead of Mallow's James Sugrue who shot a 4 under par round of 68 to finish round 2 at 9 under. The 1st round was played yesterday at the Jubilee Course at St Andrews. Rounds 2, 3 and 4 will be played at the infamous world renowned Old Course, where they are at today. The final 36 holes will be played tomorrow. Conor Purcell at 4 under is just starting his second round.

Rowan Lester -6 not long into his second round

lots of big names out in round 2 of the south matchplay including our 3 current walker cup hopefuls Surgue, Rafferty and Power. Conor Purcell and Ronan Mullarney also out.

Big names currently left in the last 16 are John Murphy, Peter O'Keeffe and Tiarnan McLarnon.

lots of big names out in round 2 of the south matchplay including our 3 current walker cup hopefuls Surgue, Rafferty and Power. Conor Purcell and Ronan Mullarney also out.

Big names currently left in the last 16 are John Murphy, Peter O'Keeffe and Tiarnan McLarnon.

Purcell is still in the Walker Cup squad

Would have been nice to see Egan win the final

Was anyone down at it ? Only 1 hole in it at the finish

Great start by Sugrue in the US amateur at pinehurst. Purcell and Rafferty with a bit of work to do to make the cut although it looks like one course is playing much harder than the other based on the most of the scoring and is reflected in the Irish scores too.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭paulos53

Average score on Course No. 2 was 77 vs 73 on Course No. 4

• Advertisement

Sugrue looking good for making the cut, level thru 4 and cut projected +5

Purcell and Rafferty won’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

The girls and boys amateur champs started today also. Plenty of Irish in both and plenty of good starts in the boys section.

Was reading the golfnet article on the Bridgestone series and saw Alex Gleeson’s name. Anybody now why he hasn’t played any golf this year??

The girls and boys amateur champs started today also. Plenty of Irish in both and plenty of good starts in the boys section.

Was reading the golfnet article on the Bridgestone series and saw Alex Gleeson’s name. Anybody now why he hasn’t played any golf this year??

Not playing this year, I could be wrong but thought I heard recently he is travelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

Remind me wrote: »
    Sugrue looking good for making the cut, level thru 4 and cut projected +5

Purcell and Rafferty won’t.

Anywhere to watch this?

Anywhere to watch this?

No, sky generally have coverage of the final.

USGA website if anywhere but I would expect highlights at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭paulos53

Round 2 was cut short due to darkness.
    Sugrue is +4 after 16 holes and 2 pars should get him into the matchplay. +5 would still have a chance but would probably mean a 25+ player playoff for 1 or 2 spots

Currently +5 is out and +4 is a 21 man playoff for 18 spots. Needs 2 pars or better.

Play resumes soon.

Birdie on 17. Great start.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

followed by par, safely inside at t-28.

Looks like a 28 way playoff for last 3 places.

• Advertisement

Brilliant stuff, Amateur Champion and match play stages of US - Am is some achievement in the one year.

Walker Cup and a couple more majors to look forward to.

Advertisement