Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Good win for Fed yesterday in Basel.

He has pulled out of this weeks Paris Masters as he wants to pace himself for next season. A wise choice.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

So I was on the Wimbledon website trying to see when applications for the international ballot opens (usually December), only to learn that *all* ballot applications closed last week. Seems the international ballot has been merged with the British one, so it's now just one combined ballot for everyone. Extremely disappointed by this, I don't recall seeing it posted anywhere that the international ballot was changing, only the one for UK residents. This'll be my first time in years not being in the ballot, the cynic in me is saying they kept this change on the low deliberately to keep the numbers low for the first year of the new ballot :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

mzungu wrote: »
    Good win for Fed yesterday in Basel.

He has pulled out of this weeks Paris Masters as he wants to pace himself for next season. A wise choice.

Pulled out of the ATP Cup too, to spend more time with the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Ludikrus

So I was on the Wimbledon website trying to see when applications for the international ballot opens (usually December), only to learn that *all* ballot applications closed last week. Seems the international ballot has been merged with the British one, so it's now just one combined ballot for everyone. Extremely disappointed by this, I don't recall seeing it posted anywhere that the international ballot was changing, only the one for UK residents. This'll be my first time in years not being in the ballot, the cynic in me is saying they kept this change on the low deliberately to keep the numbers low for the first year of the new ballot :(

This years closing dates and reminders were posted on their social media accounts (Twitter and Facebook).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Ah balls!!! Thought I was in with a shot this year!!:pac: I follow their social media accounts, don't know how I missed it. Raging with myself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Ludikrus wrote: »
    This years closing dates and reminders were posted on their social media accounts (Twitter and Facebook).

And did they bring it to attention that this also applied to the international ballot, which has always been separate to the main ballot and took place in December? I don't think they did, no.

RosyLily wrote: »
    Ah balls!!! Thought I was in with a shot this year!!:pac: I follow their social media accounts, don't know how I missed it. Raging with myself!

Well like me you probably missed it because it wasn't announced. The UK ballot was going online this year, that's been widely publicised and has been for some time. I haven't seen any announcement that the overseas ballot was being merged with the UK one and will no longer be held in December. The only mention of it is in the ballot FAQ's, way down towards the end of the page. As I mentioned above, I can't see Wimbledon being this disorganised about it and I do think it was probably done deliberately to keep the numbers conservative for the first year of the new ballot.

I mean I'll get over it, and it may even give me the push I need to go to RG for the first time, but I think there's gonna be a lot of pissed off non-UK residents who'll be looking to apply to ballot over the next couple of months only to discover the window was closed, unannounced, two months previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Djokovic destroys Tsitsipas for the loss of just 3 games ! Won nearly 70% of second serve return points. When Novak is in the zone on the return (which is often) he is lethal!

And did they bring it to attention that this also applied to the international ballot, which has always been separate to the main ballot and took place in December? I don't think they did, no.

No, you're right they didn't. They just called it the "public ballot" and tweeted several times in October "time is ticking - get your registration in" or words to that effect. I clicked on the link in the tweet and realised this must be the one and only ballot. They probably should have been clearer there would be no separate international ballot in December.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Djokovic destroys Tsitsipas for the loss of just 3 games ! Won nearly 70% of second serve return points. When Novak is in the zone on the return (which is often) he is lethal!
    Unreal. When he is in that kind of form it would take something special to beat him.

• Advertisement

When Novak is in that zone like he was vs Nadal in the oz open final this year and vs Federer in oz in 2016, he is unbeatable. His highest level in my opinion is superior to any other level tennis I have seen. He is like a machine!
    mzungu wrote: »
    Unreal. When he is in that kind of form it would take something special to beat him.

Djokovic wins the Paris masters without dropping a set. Seemed to be serving great this week. Didn’t give up a single break point against a Tsitsipas and Dimitrov and only gave up one break point today against Shapovalov and saved it

Djokovic wins the Paris masters without dropping a set. Seemed to be serving great this week. Didn’t give up a single break point against a Tsitsipas and Dimitrov and only gave up one break point today against Shapovalov and saved it
    The tournament was crying out for an inform Medvedev to have a crack at beating Djokovic, but he was sent packing early in the tournament.

Djokovic was poetry in motion the past week, a joy to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

..... and it may even give me the push I need to go to RG for the first time,....

2020 could well be peoples last chace to see Federer on the green stuff (or indeed the red stuff) I'd imagine that grand slam tickets will be harder to come by overall this year as a result..

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭camz09

I'm filling out my application (first time doing so, got lucky to have noticed their SM posts about registering, I guess) and it keeps asking me to write my mobile number in the right format, which I kept doing (+353 87 *** ****) to no avail, it's driving me mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,613 ✭✭✭✭josip

camz09 wrote: »
    I'm filling out my application (first time doing so, got lucky to have noticed their SM posts about registering, I guess) and it keeps asking me to write my mobile number in the right format, which I kept doing (+353 87 *** ****) to no avail, it's driving me mad!

Have you tried 00 instead of + ?

camz09 wrote: »

Same thing happened to me. The form doesn't accept the format they tell you to use in their own example! Very annoying. After trial and error it accepted my mobile with no spaces. Enter your number as follows:

+353871234567

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭camz09

Ludikrus wrote: »
    Same thing happened to me. The form doesn't accept the format they tell you to use in their own example! Very annoying. After trial and error it accepted my mobile with no spaces. Enter your number as follows:

+353871234567

Tried it, several times, in all formats, no bueno. Checked on Twitter and a few people seems to be having the same problem too. V annoying :/

EDIT: Okay, finally managed to do it, it's +353087******* so country code with the zero start and no spaces. Phew!

Andy Murray said on twitter he's been filming his 2 year journey back from injury. "Resurfacing" will be available on amazon prime video November 29th.

Is it true that if Nadal had withdrawn from London that Djokovic and Federer would have been on opposites sides in the draw?

• Advertisement

Big, big hype about 18 year old Italian Jannick Sinner who just won this ATP NextGen tournament thingy. Has already been given wildcards for Montpellier, Marseille and Rotterdam next year.

Very stoic from Nadal in London

""The physical issue was not an excuse at all," he said. "The only excuse is I was not good enough tonight."

For anyone who's wondering:

Five scenarios that can push Djokovic past Nadal for the year-end No. 1 ranking:

1. Djokovic reaches final with two round-robin wins, and Nadal gets zero round-robin wins.
    2. Djokovic reaches final with three round-robin wins, and Nadal gets a maximum of one round-robin win.
    3. Djokovic wins title with one round-robin win, and Nadal gets a maximum of two round-robin wins.
    4. Djokovic wins title with two round-robin wins, and Nadal doesn’t reach final or Nadal reaches final with only one round-robin win.
    5. Djokovic wins title with three round-robin wins, and Nadal doesn’t reach final or Nadal reaches final with a maximum of two round-robin wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,966 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Well Nadal has already lost, so Djokovic guaranteed No.1 if he wins every match now.

Zverev played pretty damn well to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

Wow hell of a match between Them and Djokovic, Thiem managing to hit just enough lines to come out on top. Too much power in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

What a week so far for Thiem, after some disappointing visits here in the past.

Maybe 2020 will be the year he will make a slam breakthrough. He now has a tremendous recent record Vs both Djokovic and Federer, and it was probably fatigue that mainly prevented him giving Nadal a serious rattle in the FO final this year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Delighted for Thiem, easily my favourite of the "Next-Gen", although at 26 he is probably in-between generations! Regardless, his game is a joy to watch when in full flow, so much power off both wings, and that one-handed BH is reminiscent of Stan in his prime. Would love to see him win a slam in 2020, the irony being that he probably has a better chance at the AO or USO than at the FO - such is the dominance of Nadal at that and Thiem's general improvement on hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,966 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

That is some choke from Medvedev.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Nadal didn't even have to play that well to pull it back. Medvedev very annoying with all those sarcastic thumbs up and applause every time he lost a point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Wow what a total and utter joke this sport has become, Medvedev - another nothing talentless player - that must be the worst choke in the mens game in the last decade.

Nadal to easily win the tournment, and the 4 slams next year - literally 100% guaranteed of winning AO,FO,USO ... 85% Wimbledon...

Joke

Just wait till these 3 retire (~15 years time for Nadal anyway...) No one will watch the sport.

Advertisement