Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

US Open 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Both Delpo and Nishikori have huge opportunities to win their matches and them in the final is the dream. Delpo obviously more-so with a shot with Djokovic having that air of unbeatability about him again. I fancy Delpo to take the match even with the bad match-up Nadal brings with Juan's BH as a flaw. Kei is absolute dynamite off the baseline and takes the ball a lot earlier than Djokovic but it's just whether his serve can hold up for most of the match.

Expecting a lot of long but entertaining rallies in both matches. Really looking forward to both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ballyargus

Signed up for the Prime Video seven day trial. Worth doing for anyone who hasn't availed yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

ballyargus wrote: »
    Signed up for the Prime Video seven day trial. Worth doing for anyone who hasn't availed yet

I have prime video and now it tells me I can't watch the US open in my location despite me watching some of it last w eek from the exact same computer.

74% of people who've watched the US open through Amazon prime have given it a rating of 1 star out of 5 (zero stars isn't an option).

It's a complete joke of a way to treat such a major sporting event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Both Delpo and Nishikori have huge opportunities to win their matches and them in the final is the dream. Delpo obviously more-so with a shot with Djokovic having that air of unbeatability about him again. I fancy Delpo to take the match even with the bad match-up Nadal brings with Juan's BH as a flaw. Kei is absolute dynamite off the baseline and takes the ball a lot earlier than Djokovic but it's just whether his serve can hold up for most of the match.

Expecting a lot of long but entertaining rallies in both matches. Really looking forward to both.
    I reckon if Nadal wins this tournament, he'll go on to overtake Federer in Slam titles. If he doesn't, he'll draw level. If Djokovic wins it, I think all three will end on the same number. I'm hoping Del Potro wins!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Poor fro DP. Gave that service game up far too easily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Bit of a bottle job there by Delpo serving for the set.

I have prime video and now it tells me I can't watch the US open in my location despite me watching some of it last w eek from the exact same computer.

74% of people who've watched the US open through Amazon prime have given it a rating of 1 star out of 5 (zero stars isn't an option).

It's a complete joke of a way to treat such a major sporting event.

I completely agree. I saw the reviews before taking the trial. It was the only way to get a feed - it's working well for now and that will do. It's a terrible way to broadcast and awful as streaming services go.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,527 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I completely agree. I saw the reviews before taking the trial. It was the only way to get a feed - it's working well for now and that will do. It's a terrible way to broadcast and awful as streaming services go.

Thankfully haven't had any problems with it. Still not the way to watch an event like this. Hopefully it doesn't catch on.

Floppybits wrote: »
    Thankfully haven't had any problems with it. Still not the way to watch an event like this. Hopefully it doesn't catch on.

I don't mind streaming services for sport. The new 11sports service was very good for the PGA. Appropriate pricing is key. Sky can't validate their costs now with what they have on offer. It's crazy to think you need multiple services at that price point plus ad hoc streaming costs such as prime or 11sports to see what you want to see. Appropriate costing per event through streaming is the way but nobody has implemented it yet.

I don't mind streaming services for sport. The new 11sports service was very good for the PGA. Appropriate pricing is key. Sky can't validate their costs now with what they have on offer. It's crazy to think you need multiple services at that price point plus ad hoc streaming costs such as prime or 11sports to see what you want to see. Appropriate costing per event through streaming is the way but nobody has implemented it yet.

It's a massive step back from having them on proper TV, they should be in addition to being on TV not the sole provider.With streaming you have no option to record match overnight which is essential for something like the us open.

The PGA on Eleven was only barely tolerable because it was a major there is no way in hell I'd have watched a non major on it and hopefully it will be back on proper tv next year as the experience of watching golf on a computer is miles off watching on a 45 inch tv.

At least with 11 sports you get to see what you pay for I have amazon prime and can't watch as apparently I am in the wrong location despite it being ok to watch last week so clearly there has been a technical issue.

Viewing figures for the us open this year are going to be shocking I's say at least a 90% drop from the viewership on eurosport last year.

Sports coverage is getting way too spread across platforms now, 10 years ago sky basically had a monopoly and you could watch virtually every sport on sky and if it wasn't on sky it was on free to air tv , the opening up of sports coverage to more competition has been a bad move for consumers.

• Advertisement

It's a massive step back from having them on proper TV, they should be in addition to being on TV not the sole provider.With streaming you have no option to record match overnight which is essential for something like the us open.

The PGA on Eleven was only barely tolerable because it was a major there is no way in hell I'd have watched a non major on it and hopefully it will be back on proper tv next year as the experience of watching golf on a computer is miles off watching on a 45 inch tv.

At least with 11 sports you get to see what you pay for I have amazon prime and can't watch as apparently I am in the wrong location despite it being ok to watch last week so clearly there has been a technical issue.

Viewing figures for the us open this year are going to be shocking I's say at least a 90% drop from the viewership on eurosport last year.

Sports coverage is getting way too spread across platforms now, 10 years ago sky basically had a monopoly and you could watch virtually every sport on sky and if it wasn't on sky it was on free to air tv , the opening up of sports coverage to more competition has been a bad move for consumers.

Really good points. One of the telling things is that the Champions League want a return to terrestial for improved ad revenue. The shift to BT hasn't been the best one in their view. And that's a few steps back from the current shift to streaming services!

Also. 11 sports did run (on demand) replays of all shown events so there was no need to record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

A shame but that retirement had been coming all match

2 slams Nadal has had to retire from this year. Age definitely catching up in ways, sadly for him he never looked truly fit this event.

Was hoping for a rematch v Djokovic in the final, Nole the hot favourite to win it out now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

It's a real shame to see a player have to retire. He'll be absolutely gutted. I hope DelPotro goes on to win but Djockovic is firm favourite now.

Amazon prime. No game reflection or analysid - this is not the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭C__MC

Slowly but surely federer and nadal are seeing age catch up with them.

Djockovic will have a few more slams in his sights

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Both Nadal and Fed are fine in years.

Nadal was beaten by the better man simple as that. It's annoys the hell outta me that Nadal withdrew last night. I can guarantee if the breaker went his way he'd fight until the heat got the better of him or he had some other excuse. He's anything but a 'fighter' that people make him out to be. His grinding brand of tennis suggests to the casual viewer that he's a fighter because he gets to nearly every ball but the lad is just playing his game. In terms of clutch on big points the likes of Djokovic and Wawrinka for example are so much better IMO because they at least have the balls to go for the line consistently on big points. So annoyed with his withdrawal there. Federer simply wouldn't have done that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,044 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Both Nadal and Fed are fine in years.

Nadal was beaten by the better man simple as that. It's annoys the hell outta me that Nadal withdrew last night. I can guarantee if the breaker went his way he'd fight until the heat got the better of him or he had some other excuse. He's anything but a 'fighter' that people make him out to be. His grinding brand of tennis suggests to the casual viewer that he's a fighter because he gets to nearly every ball but the lad is just playing his game. In terms of clutch on big points the likes of Djokovic and Wawrinka for example are so much better IMO because they at least have the balls to go for the line consistently on big points. So annoyed with his withdrawal there. Federer simply wouldn't have done that.

I've seen him retire while ahead.

Nadal saying to the umpire “I’m going to retire anyway but you aren’t right on that one” was in very poor taste.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Then in the press conference he says its unfair that he's had more injuries than Djokovic or Federer, seemingly in denial that his gruelling style is the biggest reason for those injuries. Amazing to think he's no closer to Fed's slam total than he was in 2014.

• Advertisement

Then in the press conference he says its unfair that he's had more injuries than Djokovic or Federer, seemingly in denial that his gruelling style is the biggest reason for those injuries. Amazing to think he's no closer to Fed's slam total than he was in 2014.

You live by the sword you die by the sword.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Shame to see Nadal go out like that, he's provided all the entertainment at this years USO (on the mens side at least, apart from Cilic-De Minaur, I suppose). I think Del Potro would have beaten him regardless of the knee, for me he's had the most consistent tournament thus far and it would be fitting for him to win tomorrow. After all his injuries, thoughts of retirement, etc, I don't think anyone (bar Djokovic!) would begrudge him the victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

I'm trying to watch the semifinal replays on Amazon and its still saying not available. If it was on TV I'd have just recorded it and would already be watching it right now. Absolutely ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Really excited for the final later, still think Naomi will cause the upset. Would be so weird, in a good way, if she does win. I'd always thought she'd be one of those big talents who'd win a few big titles here and there, but would never be quite good enough to get it together for the slams. A lot about tonight's match depends on how Naomi handles the occasion and how Serena's nerves are.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,579 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Really excited for the final later, still think Naomi will cause the upset. Would be so weird, in a good way, if she does win. I'd always thought she'd be one of those big talents who'd win a few big titles here and there, but would never be quite good enough to get it together for the slams. A lot about tonight's match depends on how Naomi handles the occasion and how Serena's nerves are.

Well, seeing as Serena blamed breastfeeding in her loss to Naomi in Miami, I wonder what baby excuse she’ll use if she is denied a record equaling 24th slam?

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

walshb wrote: »
    Well, seeing as Serena blamed breastfeeding in her loss to Naomi in Miami, I wonder what baby excuse she’ll use if she is denied a record equaling 24th slam?

She did? Regardless of what she or anyone else stated, it's patently obvious that she was nowhere near fit in Miami. Obviously not suggesting that the result is invalid or anything, but she's in much better shape now. But then again, so is Naomi.

Regardless of result I just hope it's a great match.

Watched some highlights of the Miami match this morning, Serena probably around 50% fit at best, Osaka just blasted the ball down the lines on both sides with Serena basically rooted to the middle. Different story tonight obviously, but if people are saying the win in Miami was purely down to fitness, that could be powerful motivation for Naomi to prove it wrong. She does look like a real cool customer, for all this is new territory for her. Fascinating match up really, not sure i could call it.

Love the way people are building this up. It will inevitably be another 6-2 6-3 type scoreline, done and dusted in 80 minutes.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Love the way people are building this up. It will inevitably be another 6-2 6-3 type scoreline, done and dusted in 80 minutes.

Perhaps, but hopefully not. It's an up-and-comer against a veteran, and Osaka leads the h2h 1-0, so naturally a lot are intrigued. Serena has also lost three of her last five slam finals, so there's hope for a good match.

• Advertisement

I certainly wouldnt envisage a 6-2, 6-3 pasting, I think Serena will be a lot more competitive than that tbh ;)

Advertisement