Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

COMMUNION MONEY

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Parents/god parents €100.
    Aunt/Uncle €50
    anyone else €20

That is crazy.
    Why would you give your kids money for their communion? it costs you enough.
    I thought godparents traditionally gave a present?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I made mine along time ago and I got £86.
    Neighbors gave about 50p
    I do remember the beautiful jewellery I got from my auntie and the present from another.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

People don't really make it for the religious aspect anymore. They make it for the day out, new clothes, and of course the money.

I made €500+ at mine in 2004
    Nothing like a couple of hundred euro to help bribe a other child into the 'faith'

Got >£1000 out of it back in the day. And now I'm atheist.

latest?cb=20140512015844

For anyone wondering, I put the majority in a savings account and spent the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Ms2011

For an acquaintance I'd give €20, family or close friend I'd give €50

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Jaysus some crazy amounts in here. I'm godfather to my niece who is making communion soon.
    Tbh I wish I had declined being godfather at the time as I have no time for the church.
    I think 20 and a pressie will be it and even that is just to conform I would rather not take part at all in any celebration for it, but at the end of the day I'll go along with it for the sake of child.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

bubblypop wrote: »
    Should be from everyone.
    I made my communion in England & there's no such thing as giving children loads of money for a religious ceremony.

Same in Ireland too (outside the RC Church). We're C of I and weve never encountered money 'as a gift' for our young (14/15 year old) Communicants. It is after all a relgious ceremony as you say . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,469 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

bubblypop wrote: »
    My best friend's son is getting communion in may.
    I've told them both I won't be giving him any money.
    Probably won't even go to the ceremony.

Reason being that I'm not a hypocrite, parents are not religious, child doesn't go to mass. Was just christened because ' that's what you do'
    If I do send him anything it will be a prayer book & rosary beads. Because that's what communion is about, right?

So where do you (personally) stop with that?

Not give Christmas presents? Not eat Easter eggs? Not take days off from work because after all they are religious holidays and you don't recognise the religion.

Don't think people need to be slammed about being hypocrites. A lot of people enjoy a big day out, and the religious part they don't care about. A communion serves a lot of purposes that has nothing to do with Religion.....Its a big day out for the family. Its a time for parents to take stock of how much their child has grown. Its a chance for the child to take on a responsibility, and to be the centre of attention for a day.

Look, overall I agree with you. But I'm not going to call anyone a hypocrite about it. You just have to say you don't believe in it.

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    So where do you (personally) stop with that?

Not give Christmas presents? Not eat Easter eggs? Not take days off from work because after all they are religious holidays and you don't recognise the religion.

Don't think people need to be slammed about being hypocrites. A lot of people enjoy a big day out, and the religious part they don't care about. A communion serves a lot of purposes that has nothing to do with Religion.....Its a big day out for the family. Its a time for parents to take stock of how much their child has grown. Its a chance for the child to take on a responsibility, and to be the centre of attention for a day.

Look, overall I agree with you. But I'm not going to call anyone a hypocrite about it. You just have to say you don't believe in it.

Er no, it's not that I won't go because I don't practice the religion.
    I go to weddings, funerals, and I have been to communions of other friends kids.
    The parents in this case are being hypocrites.

Did you seriously say, communion serves a lot of purposes that has nothing to do with religion? It's a big day out for the family?
    Seriously?
    That's the whole issue, communion IS a religious ceremony, if people want a big day out where their child is centre of attention, then why not do it on the child's birthday?
    And that religious ceremony shouldn't be about money either.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I wouldn't go to a communion personally. I do go to weddings and funerals because they are significant events. Communion is a minor day out imo, it's value for the majority is a party and a day out. Nothing wrong with that but I find it tacky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Don't think people need to be slammed about being hypocrites. A lot of people enjoy a big day out, and the religious part they don't care about. A communion serves a lot of purposes that has nothing to do with Religion.....Its a big day out for the family. Its a time for parents to take stock of how much their child has grown. Its a chance for the child to take on a responsibility, and to be the centre of attention for a day

The problem with communion is the children spend huge chunks of school time in preparation instead of learning other things, and the eventual lesson is it's easy to get retarded by going along with whatever you're told. There's far less hypocritical ways for parents to celebrate their child's development.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,183 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

When I got my Communion we still had pounds.
    Friends out my class gave £5 or £10.
    Family friends gave £20.
    Uncles and Aunts gave around £40.
    We moved on to Euro's for my conformation.
    School fiends have €10.
    Parents friend/people who hears I got my conformation gave €20.
    Aunts/Uncles gave €50.
    From speaking to people and from family communions this seems to be the amount given.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Broken Hearted Road

I'm a carer/childminder and working for a family for some years now and would be very close. There's a child doing a communion this year. For such a young person she's been through so much and in and out of hospitals. I'd like to mark the day with something special and I found something lovely but I didn't buy it yet, if I do. It's such a beautiful and unique thing and would be kept for a long time. It comes with a bit of a hefty price tag though at 130 euro. Would this be acceptable for a gift or a no go area?

It depends on your relationship with the family tbh
    If the child has had a rough time and it is a keepsake and you are close then why not get it for their birthday?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

ectoraige wrote: »
    The problem with communion is the children spend huge chunks of school time in preparation instead of learning other things, and the eventual lesson is it's easy to get retarded by going along with whatever you're told. There's far less hypocritical ways for parents to celebrate their child's development.

10% of primary school time is spent on religion based on previous OECD numbers, that's as much time as students spent on english!

By all means if people want to have a day out then do, but valuable school time shouldn't be wasted on preoperative for that day, it would be far more beneficial to cut religion time in school down to 5/6% make it inclusive to all religions and not just catholic and then spend the remaining time on PE for the health of the child.

Cabaal wrote: »
    10% of primary school time is spent on religion based on previous OECD numbers, that's as much time as students spent on english!

By all means if people want to have a day out then do, but valuable school time shouldn't be wasted on preoperative for that day, it would be far more beneficial to cut religion time in school down to 5/6% make it inclusive to all religions and not just catholic and then spend the remaining time on PE for the health of the child.

The minimum time set out in the curriculum is thirty minutes per day, but during communion year far more time than this is spent on preparation for the two sacraments.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭deisemum

So much of the communion and confirmation school years are taken up with religion, art classes become religious themes, music is spent on hymns etc plus the regular religion classes daily. As it gets nearer the day hours are spent in the church rehearsing.

I got 50p when I made my communion back in 1970

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The minimum time set out in the curriculum is thirty minutes per day, but during communion year far more time than this is spent on preparation for the two sacraments.

Which averages at 10% of school time overall at primary level,
    As pointed out by deisemum, religion doesn't just start and end with religion class. It leaks into music, art, english etc

Not to mention trips to the church and visits from the priest

At secondary level its far more defined with religion for the most part being limited to just the religion class in most cases.

Got a few hundred IR£ back in the day for my communion, I honestly see 8 years of age as too young to understand the ramifications of what you are doing and it would be better for communion to be done when kids are much older for example at 16 years of age. If religion is important to them at that age then they'll have no problem going to mass etc before hand.

I can honestly say I did my confirmation purely for the money as by that age I don't believe a word of the teachings.

Ahem. That should, of course, have read 'rewarded'. Freudian slip? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

How much for a godchild?
    I'm invited out for a meal with them too, my hubby and kids are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Sorry now but it is 50 squids minimum these days. More if you happen to be the godparent, etc, but that is an individual choice I think.

What the heck anyway, we all got money on our significant so called RELIGIOUS rites of passage back in the day. Otherwise why do people say of certain people of a certain age that "they still have their Communion Money" ha ha.

It is custom and go with it for now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

€3.50

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 172 ✭✭devlinio

My parents gave me 150, relatives 50.

One aunt gave me a fiver. She should have kept it. Embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

Sorry now but it is 50 squids minimum these days. More if you happen to be the godparent, etc, but that is an individual choice I think.

I was thinking along the lines of 50 for my godchild. Is that too little? I also have my other godchild's confirmation the same week, so another 50 quid there?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I was thinking along the lines of 50 for my godchild. Is that too little? I also have my other godchild's confirmation the same week, so another 50 quid there?

€50 is an absolute fortune for a 7 or 8 year old so I'd say that it is more than generous and would probably give less cash but with a gift. For my own goddaughter I bought her some diamond stud earrings and gave her €20 in a card as far as I remember. For the Confirmation €50 would also be more than generous, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

devlinio wrote: »
    My parents gave me 150, relatives 50.

One aunt gave me a fiver. She should have kept it. Embarrassing.

Wow, maybe that was all she felt you deserved....I can see why

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Sheesh since when is 20e loads of money??

I bought a playstation with my communion money if memory serves me. Saved the folks from having to buy it for me.

Lotta stingy bitter people on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Defunkd

I got £20 total, of which 15 was put in my "savings account" despite me not having one...and i never saw again.
    €20 is plenty for an 8yr old from one person, no matter your connection to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Bilboss

I gave €50 in a card to a close relative last year, only for her to open it up straight away in front of me and ask ‘is that all?’ Safe to say I was VERY close to asking for it back!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

One of the only topics on here which doesn't end up in church bashing is how much everybody is going to give my kid for their holy communion!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 172 ✭✭devlinio

Wow, maybe that was all she felt you deserved....I can see why

To an 8 year old. It says more about her, as my parents have her daughter 50 the year before.

Advertisement