Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Inline skating

• 13-03-2009 12:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know where a forty-something Dad and his two kids could learn to skate or know of anyone who provides lessons.

Being honest - it's for me more than the kids - I did a little bit a few years ago and would love to do some more.

Thanks

JG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭jkl

Jawgap wrote: »
    Anyone know where a forty-something Dad and his two kids could learn to skate or know of anyone who provides lessons.

Being honest - it's for me more than the kids - I did a little bit a few years ago and would love to do some more.

Thanks

JG

I saw this on Dublin.ie, might be of use to you:
    (post is a year old though)
    Hello,

My name is Julien, I am 24 and have now been roller skating (inline skates) for the past six years and for the past year and a half in Dublin.

If you are interested in taking roller skating lessons don't hesitate to contact me!

The lessons are an hour and twenty minutes long. I can give basis (fitness), slalom or freeskate lessons. The price depends on the number of people coming to a session:

1 person: 30 euros
    2 people: 20 euros each
    3 people: 15 euros each
    4 people: 12 euros each
    5+ people: 10 euros each

Of course it will also depend on the weather, this is why I ask you to think about different times of the week for the lesson. I am free everyday of the week!

You will NEED your own protections and roller skates.

More info on: www.rideandroll.blogspot.com

Hope to hear from you soon!

Cheers!

Julien
    user_offline.gifquote.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Morf3h

buy some skates off ebay and head down to the pier in Dun Laoghaire if you're in Dublin, or find a nice empty piece of repaved road or path..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

bedlam wrote: »
    That drop off the pier is certainly an incentive to learn quickly. Perhaps something along the lines of Phoenix Park or Dollymount Strand would be a better place to practice assuming the OP is in Dublin

There was a thread last year that had details of free training in the Phoenix park on Sunday, not sure if it is still happening.

I've done the carpark thing and I can go on them - stopping is the problem.

Heading to Dun Laoghaire and dropping off the pier might be a good way to introduce a new sport!!!

Thanks for the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Kalarl

Hello,
    i am in the same position, i did inline skating a few years ago and would really like to get back into it. does anyone know of any club or group of people in Donegal that meets a few times a week to skate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭simdan

Lol, I'm glad there are a few people looking to skate again.. I've just purchased a new pair online, awaiting delivery sometime this week.

Wondered how people are getting on?

There seems to be little online about skating in Ireland & I haven't seen any adults skating in my area(Drogheda) for several years.

I don't care about looking stupid, being old and on rollerblades, but would prefer if one or two people were around.. :)

Are there any places which people could recommend around the Dublin/Louth/Meath area?

Also, big question, are you actually allowed to skate in Phoenix park?

Cheers in advance for any advice!

Dan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I've my Inline Skates ready here for the day I feel ready enough to make a fool of myself. Haven't used inline-skates in years though. Tried them on days back and didn't think that 1-brake would do anything for how awkward I knew I looked on them messing around outside the house :o

Maybe someday soon I'll brave it down here and head to the NationalPark. Actually thinking of wearing a backpack with runners inside in event I need to change. Seem to be slopes heading into/out of the Park Entrances.

The footpaths are narrow alright in the PhoenixPark. Same in my local National Park. With walkers, joggers, runners, tourists cycling, buggies, dogs on& off-leashes,
    & me on my new Inline Skates, I don't know man.

Maybe brave it early in the mornings when it'll be quite? :)
    kerry4sam

kerry4sam wrote:
    The footpaths are narrow alright in the PhoenixPark. Same in my local National Park. With walkers, joggers, runners, tourists cycling, buggies, dogs on& off-leashes, & me on my new Inline Skates, I don't know man.

Hmmmm that's what I was thinking too! :) oh well I used to skate a lot and I've taken the plunge and bought a new pair so I think I should try in the Phoenix park!

Good luck my friend! Hopefully we will get some more people showing interest.. I will let ya know how I get on once they arrive!

Looks like it could be sunny tomorrow.. Will take the plunge and head to Phoenix park for a skate..

Hopefully will see others out!

Took the puppy for the first spin skating in Phoenix Park :)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBIEoViBTGU

Had to edit the music.. copyright claim

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

simdan wrote: »
    Took the puppy for the first spin skating in Phoenix Park :)https://youtu.be/WfbyA4Q9Reg

She took you for a walkie skate you mean ;)

Class video!
    Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Advertisement

kerry4sam wrote:
    She took you for a walkie skate you mean

Maybe a little bit lol! Great fun

Just got these on a deal from sports direct ðŸ˜႒ Phoenix park on the weekend if the weather permits! 110mm wheels should be fast. The doggies might come too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Did you guys go skating then? I started in summer 2016. Got as far as a mediocre t stop and able to cross over (on one side only). I don't think this business really begins until you can hockey stop. Hopefully this summer... Phoenix Park paths are thin but decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Pag838614

Anyone still follow this thread?
    Just bought outdoor skates and thinking of using corkagh park cycle track for fitness training/weight loss/Just good craic!
    Haven't skated in 3 years.
    Anyone interested in joining me?
    Feel less stupid with more people 😂😂

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Guy Sajer

Pag838614 wrote: »
    Anyone still follow this thread?
    Just bought outdoor skates and thinking of using corkagh park cycle track for fitness training/weight loss/Just good craic!
    Haven't skated in 3 years.
    Anyone interested in joining me?
    Feel less stupid with more people 😂😂

Thats the park as you head West outwards from Dublin? I'm moving to Dublin soon with my inline skates. Just a beginner though.
    There's a Dublin Inline Skating group on fb if you're interested.

Yes that park.
    Haven't yet uses it yet but cycle track is 1.3km long and tarmac meant to be near perfect. Great for outdoor skating.
    When are you moving up here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Guy Sajer

Yes that park.
    Haven't yet uses it yet but cycle track is 1.3km long and tarmac meant to be near perfect. Great for outdoor skating.
    When are you moving up here?

I'm moving in two weeks time. Went to phoenix park a few times, but just up and down the cycle track and the main road through.

I'm coming from the UK, didn't do any inline here, just a bit on ice. What's your level?

Guy Sajer wrote: »
    I'm moving in two weeks time. Went to phoenix park a few times, but just up and down the cycle track and the main road through.

I'm coming from the UK, didn't do any inline here, just a bit on ice. What's your level?

I private messaged you

• Registered Users Posts: 8 wsobiesiak

To Pag838614 and Guy Sajer, are you still skate in phoenix park and corkagh park?
    I rollerblade few months and would be interesting in joining if you are. I try a bit of everything (except of aggressive) and definitely like fitness skating.

wsobiesiak wrote: »
    To Pag838614 and Guy Sajer, are you still skate in phoenix park and corkagh park?
    I rollerblade few months and would be interesting in joining if you are. I try a bit of everything (except of aggressive) and definitely like fitness skating.

Corkagh park but weather is terrible lately and hard skate wheels are slippery in the wet!
    I am away for a week now but will message when I return and we can meet up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭johny33

InlineSkatingClubIreland on facebook

johny33 wrote: »
    InlineSkatingClubIreland on facebook

More dance lesson focused from what I see and beginner skates. Very few park skates

Corkagh park but weather is terrible lately and hard skate wheels are slippery in the wet!
    I am away for a week now but will message when I return and we can meet up

Ok np... let me know when you can.
    Regarding wet weather, your wheels loose grip and of course you can damage a bit your bearings (unless you have ceramic) ;)

Do you skate Imperial 125?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

More dance lesson focused from what I see and beginner skates. Very few park skates
    I think they do a regular Friday night skate that takes in parks, the pier etc.
    I'd love to join them myself but I'm in Co. Wexford and don't fancy the drive up.
    Seems there's zero skaters round here other than myself. Shame, it's huge fun and great for fitness. I like to skate fast, urban areas, anywhere really. I follow Bill Stoppard on Youtube (PintoPonyProductions), very much his style.
    Rolling in Seba FR1 80's, but may try a three wheel setup soon.

Johro wrote: »
    I think they do a regular Friday night skate that takes in parks, the pier etc.
    I'd love to join them myself but I'm in Co. Wexford and don't fancy the drive up.
    Seems there's zero skaters round here other than myself. Shame, it's huge fun and great for fitness. I like to skate fast, urban areas, anywhere really. I follow Bill Stoppard on Youtube (PintoPonyProductions), very much his style.
    Rolling in Seba FR1 80's, but may try a three wheel setup soon.

hi ... indeed not many skaters...
    Regarding Bill i follow him as well. he is doing RED in July. There his friend from Shop Task. he is very good as well. i recommend Skatefreshasha and Ricardo Lino :)
    Regarding tri skates they can be fun. i have 2 pairs. 125 powerslide imperials... they can be very fast and amazing on ****ty paths, then 110 kaze. it something between 80mm wheels and 125mm. much control and bigger speed.
    for practising new things i use powerslide metropolis pro.
    Try triskate real fun :)

hi ... indeed not many skaters...
    Regarding Bill i follow him as well. he is doing RED in July. There his friend from Shop Task. he is very good as well. i recommend Skatefreshasha and Ricardo Lino :)
    Regarding tri skates they can be fun. i have 2 pairs. 125 powerslide imperials... they can be very fast and amazing on ****ty paths, then 110 kaze. it something between 80mm wheels and 125mm. much control and bigger speed.
    for practising new things i use powerslide metropolis pro.
    Try triskate real fun :)
    Haha you just mentioned everyone I'm subscribed to on youtube right now, was just watching Ricardo Lino's take on tri-skates, and I've been following RED July faithfully. I'm also subscribed to SkatefreshAsha (email also) and I love Shoptask.
    I'm not sure about my tri-skate options yet..
    Like, I have both the 2015 and 2016 version of the Seba FR1 80's, I'd like a three wheel setup, was gonna buy the Seba three wheel frame and then some wheels, but damn, just the Seba frame itself is more expensive than the Powerslide Megacruiser frame including wheels... I'm thinking the Seba frame is likely a stronger, stiffer, superior frame but do I really need it or is the Megacruiser frame good enough? Or should I just consider a tri-skate rather than switch frames? Something with the trinity frame looks like it may be the best setup..

Haha you just mentioned everyone I'm subscribed to on youtube right now, was just watching Ricardo Lino's take on tri-skates, and I've been following RED July faithfully. I'm also subscribed to SkatefreshAsha (email also) and I love Shoptask.
    I'm not sure about my tri-skate options yet..
    Like, I have both the 2015 and 2016 version of the Seba FR1 80's, I'd like a three wheel setup, was gonna buy the Seba three wheel frame and then some wheels, but damn, just the Seba frame itself is more expensive than the Powerslide Megacruiser frame including wheels... I'm thinking the Seba frame is likely a stronger, stiffer, superior frame but do I really need it or is the Megacruiser frame good enough? Or should I just consider a tri-skate rather than switch frames? Something with the trinity frame looks like it may be the best setup..
    I like trinity on my KAZE maybe that is direction ;) ... but there is something wrong with size with KAZE. I got 45 and they are to small (my size is 45 on all other pairs of skates I have) and now they are resting under my stairs hahaha. So had to invest in another pair 46 and they are perfect. I think that can be the same with other models with the same technology :) from powerslide like TAU. But trinity is very stable and if you go for 110 it is like 90mm for standard frame with the same length.
    Megacruiser has simple stock frame and if you jump a lot ... is not for you :). For faster skating and fitness i think is good enough. Gives me a lot of pleasure :)

I like trinity on my KAZE maybe that is direction ;) ... but there is something wrong with size with KAZE. I got 45 and they are to small (my size is 45 on all other pairs of skates I have) and now they are resting under my stairs hahaha. So had to invest in another pair 46 and they are perfect. I think that can be the same with other models with the same technology :) from powerslide like TAU. But trinity is very stable and if you go for 110 it is like 90mm for standard frame with the same length.
    Megacruiser has simple stock frame and if you jump a lot ... is not for you :). For faster skating and fitness i think is good enough. Gives me a lot of pleasure :)
    Yeah I think the megacruiser frame may not be strong enough.. I do like the trinity frame, and the Kaze looks like a really good skate, but I think I might just get a Seba three wheel frame for the FR1's. They fit me really well and feel responsive, I'll probably go with the 110mm wheels coz I'm not tall, 125mm seems a bit too much for me. Maybe sometime I will buy the Kaze, but I spent quite a bit of money on skate related stuff lately, I'd have to get it past the girlfriend haha. On the other hand, buying the Seba tri frame and wheels is almost the price of a new set of skates. Not quite the Kaze, but close enough. I might wait til September, it'll be my birthday :D

I see the Powerslide Kaze at €327 at locoskates.com, not sure about the colour of the frame :eek:, I'd prefer it in all black. That frame makes a lot of sense though, Bill Stoppard skates the Reign Hockey skate with Trinity frame, but they don't sell that range here, and the Swell is a fitness boot really, not freestyle.
    Yeah I'll just wait a while and then most likely buy the Kaze or a similar boot with trinity mount.

• Advertisement

Yeah I think the megacruiser frame may not be strong enough.. I do like the trinity frame, and the Kaze looks like a really good skate, but I think I might just get a Seba three wheel frame for the FR1's. They fit me really well and feel responsive, I'll probably go with the 110mm wheels coz I'm not tall, 125mm seems a bit too much for me. Maybe sometime I will buy the Kaze, but I spent quite a bit of money on skate related stuff lately, I'd have to get it past the girlfriend haha. On the other hand, buying the Seba tri frame and wheels is almost the price of a new set of skates. Not quite the Kaze, but close enough. I might wait til September, it'll be my birthday :D

do not have to tell me, if my wife knew how much i spent on my skates ... hmmmm ... I would not be writing here right now :D.
    Only one question as you city skater for 80mm wheels ... What wheels you use and think are worth recommending?

Advertisement