Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

January 2020 Babies Thread

• 10-05-2019 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

FINALLY get to create a thread here :) — I am due my first baby on January 11th :) I had pregnancy confirmed by doctor this morning. 4 and half weeks pregnant now so very early. Anyone else due in January?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Meem

FoxHouse wrote: »
    FINALLY get to create a thread here :) — I am due my first baby on January 11th :) I had pregnancy confirmed by doctor this morning. 4 and half weeks pregnant now so very early. Anyone else due in January?

Congratulations!

im due Jan 8th according to lmp. Have my appointment in the coombe June 25th for scan when I’ll be 11+6
    Also found out very early at 4w! Second pregnancy so recognised some symptoms quickly and positive tested prior to missed period

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Another new year baby here! First pregnancy, stopped the pill and weren't "trying" but thought it would take a lot longer....one month later...😂. Think I am due 3rd January, have been to the doctor but not sure of first scan yet. Still hasn't fully sank in, first grandchild for both sides of the family!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Maggiemay13

I am also due very early January 2020 2nd/3rd/ or 4th?!) if my predictions are accurate. It is my first pregnancy so am taking this very slowly slowly softly softly. Have an appointment with my GP tomorrow and have booked an early scan for the end of May, at which stage hopefully I will be 8.5 weeks. Purely a personal choice to go ahead with the early scan. Can't quite believe I'm posting here btw!

I am also due very early January 2020 2nd/3rd/ or 4th?!) if my predictions are accurate. It is my first pregnancy so am taking this very slowly slowly softly softly. Have an appointment with my GP tomorrow and have booked an early scan for the end of May, at which stage hopefully I will be 8.5 weeks. Purely a personal choice to go ahead with the early scan. Can't quite believe I'm posting here btw!

Congratulations. Such an exciting time!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭jo2509

Congratulations everyone.

I am also due around 24th Jan, only found out yesterday so still VERY early days (3 weeks, 3 days).
    Also have a GPs appointment tomorrow to confirm and get the ball rolling.

Best wishes to everyone!

• Advertisement

Congratulations all 😊 I'm not long home from the GP visit. It was all very relaxed and almost felt like a box ticking exercise in order to get into the system. Estimated due date 2nd January! There is little enough they can feel or see at this stage so it's a matter of letting this little bun bake away for another while and hope for the best. I had been flying it for the last few weeks but I have to say I'm feeling the tiredness the last day or two! Hope ye are feeling well.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 FoxHouse

Congratulations Everyone! I felt the same about the GP visit - expected to be handed a form or something at least! I've been very tired since Saturday. Keeping up normal activities but am absolutely exhausted and ready to sleep in very early evening! Decided to go for a private scan in middle of June.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Another new year baby here! I think I am about 6.5 weeks. First baby so very exciting/scary! I think I will get an early scan too just for peace of mind. I went to the doctor and filled out a form but they weren't very clear on next steps etc...it was all a bit of a blur!

What hospital are you all attending?

I’m the coombe and booking appointment plus scan appointment June 25th when il be just shy of 12 weeks

Meem wrote: »
    What hospital are you all attending?

I’m the coombe and booking appointment plus scan appointment June 25th when il be just shy of 12 weeks

I am going to be in University Hospital Galway.

• Advertisement

It'll be CUMH for me. Was it your GP practise that forwarded on your file to the maternity hospital Meem? Did you hear back from the hospital re. scan quickly? Hope you don't mind me asking.

Today now I don't have very many symptoms other than the tiredness, it makes me a bit paranoid :-/ Need to just think positively I guess. Can't help silly thoughts creeping in at times. Must push them away.

Have ye shared the good news with anybody yet?! :-)

It'll be CUMH for me. Was it your GP practise that forwarded on your file to the maternity hospital Meem? Did you hear back from the hospital re. scan quickly? Hope you don't mind me asking.

Today now I don't have very many symptoms other than the tiredness, it makes me a bit paranoid :-/ Need to just think positively I guess. Can't help silly thoughts creeping in at times. Must push them away.

Have ye shared the good news with anybody yet?! :-)

The coombe you can get referred via GP or self refer. As this is my second (first is 10 months old) I decided to self refer before I’d been to GP. They were very fast getting back to me - sent the referral Thursday May 2nd and received my booking appointment Wednesday May 8th (plus was a bank holiday the Monday) - pleasantly surprised!

With my first the GP referred and think it took about 2 weeks to hear but don’t remember exactly.

Re symptoms - I’m the exact same and, even though I’ve been through this not that long ago, the mind still plays havoc now and again!

Re sharing the good news - we haven’t! It’s my little girls 1st birthday on June 29th and both families will be there so we have bought her a shirt to announce then :)

Meem, thanks so much for that info. and reassurance. My gosh ye will be busy come January:-) So nice for your little one to have a brother/sister so close in age. They will be very close! Very cute baby vest!!

I'm six weeks today but have no real symptoms yet apart from tender breasts, tiredness and well crankyness! Thought I would have more symptoms by now...can't help but be a little worried that something isn't right...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Everyone is different Foxhouse.
    I had no nausea til 7 weeks on my girls, and was desperately ill from 3 weeks on my boy. Really, your body does things it's own way. Book an early scan for reassurance if you want to, but you may just be one of those lucky people that doesn't get much sickness. :)

I also feel pretty 'normal', apart from absolutely freakishly bad bloating. By the time 7pm rolls around i could almost be mistaken for 6 months gone :D

Just had a call from the Rotunda today, have a 'reassurance' scan at 8 weeks which is part of the semi private package, and booking in visit at 12 weeks.

Can i ask others opinion - i am due to go to UK from 8th to 10th June, and have my 8 week scan booked for 14th June.
    Am i being OTT considering booking and paying for an early scan at 6/7 weeks before i go to UK, just to make sure everything is ok?

Obviously if i did have any worrying symptoms or felt any way unsure about going i would cancel the trip.

Or am i being absolutely demented here :o (first pregnancy - no sh1t Sherlock!)

Hey all! Congratulations on your exciting news:-)

Foxhouse, I was absolutely flying it until last Wednesday, genuinely thought "this is a piece of cake" and then I turned 7 weeks- it all hit me like a tonne of bricks with very bad nausea, tiredness etc. I totally agree with Shesty, every body is different and will get different symptoms at different stages. I think it is completely natural to have these little worries when we are this early. I have decided to get an early scan next week (I'll be 8+4) just as reassurance for myself. Personal choice. It might be worth looking into.

jo2509 wrote: »
    I also feel pretty 'normal', apart from absolutely freakishly bad bloating. By the time 7pm rolls around i could almost be mistaken for 6 months gone :D

Just had a call from the Rotunda today, have a 'reassurance' scan at 8 weeks which is part of the semi private package, and booking in visit at 12 weeks.

Can i ask others opinion - i am due to go to UK from 8th to 10th June, and have my 8 week scan booked for 14th June.
    Am i being OTT considering booking and paying for an early scan at 6/7 weeks before i go to UK, just to make sure everything is ok?

Obviously if i did have any worrying symptoms or felt any way unsure about going i would cancel the trip.

Or am i being absolutely demented here :o (first pregnancy - no sh1t Sherlock!)

Hi Jo

Do what makes you happy but if I was you i wouldn’t stress at all. I flew loads with my last pregnancy due to my work (up to 7.5 months). Flying won’t impact your pregnancy and sometimes getting a scan too early can cause worry if they can’t see what your expecting.

That’s my two cents for what it worth 🙈

Meem wrote: »
    Hi Jo

Do what makes you happy but if I was you i wouldn’t stress at all. I flew loads with my last pregnancy due to my work (up to 7.5 months). Flying won’t impact your pregnancy and sometimes getting a scan too early can cause worry if they can’t see what your expecting.

That’s my two cents for what it worth ��

Thanks Meem!

I'm probably more worried about something going wrong while i'm away, but if i start thinking like that i'll be housebound till next January :D
    Yes i thought the same myself about going for a scan too early, i'd probably only end up having to go back at 8 weeks anyway if they couldn't see everything!

jo2509 wrote: »
    Thanks Meem!

I'm probably more worried about something going wrong while i'm away, but if i start thinking like that i'll be housebound till next January :D
    Yes i thought the same myself about going for a scan too early, i'd probably only end up having to go back at 8 weeks anyway if they couldn't see everything!

So hard not to worry about every little symptom or lack of symptoms 🙈
    Even though it’s my second (daughter almost 11 months) I’m still bad and have to keep telling myself it’s normal. Try not to worry and enjoy your trip!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭BriarPatch

Hi Ladies,

Looks like I'll be joining you-got a positive test yesterday -due on the 28th January with my 3rd.

Vomited first thing this morning so this one looks set to be even worse than the others as I'm only 4 weeks gone!!

Hey guys! I know it's very early days yet and the sensible part of me is telling me it's way too early to be thinking about these sorts of things, but at the same time I want to enjoy and get excited about my pregnancy. So with that in mind, I'm starting to have a little look online at all the weird and wonderful things available for a newborn baby,and man could you get a bit bogged down with everything out there! Its fun to look though. This is my first pregnancy, so I just wondered if anybody has bought, heard of or used any particular items that you thought were "must haves" for a baby. Anything that might make life a little easier?! For example, I have heard a few people raving about the Baby Bjorn bouncer.
    Also, any good websites etc to pick up second hand items?

I hope everyone is doing well

Hey guys! I know it's very early days yet and the sensible part of me is telling me it's way too early to be thinking about these sorts of things, but at the same time I want to enjoy and get excited about my pregnancy. So with that in mind, I'm starting to have a little look online at all the weird and wonderful things available for a newborn baby,and man could you get a bit bogged down with everything out there! Its fun to look though. This is my first pregnancy, so I just wondered if anybody has bought, heard of or used any particular items that you thought were "must haves" for a baby. Anything that might make life a little easier?! For example, I have heard a few people raving about the Baby Bjorn bouncer.

A chair/bouncer of some kind is handy for putting them down for a few minutes. My first lived in a bouncer chair thing, 2nd hardly spent much time in it at all!
    You're right there's plenty to think about on your first, car seat and buggy and somewhere to sleep are the obvious ones and lots to research there as in if you want to have another soon you might think about getting something that converts to a double etc.

BriarPatch wrote: »
    A chair/bouncer of some kind is handy for putting them down for a few minutes. My first lived in a bouncer chair thing, 2nd hardly spent much time in it at all!
    You're right there's plenty to think about on your first, car seat and buggy and somewhere to sleep are the obvious ones and lots to research there as in if you want to have another soon you might think about getting something that converts to a double etc.

That's so true about considering something that converts to double. The thought hadn't even crossed my mind. Thanks a million ! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Skybirdjb

Hiya just jumping in this thread I have a 9 month old and these are the things we found really useful
    Co sleeper - so so handy
    Tiny love rocker - this is the best thing we had and still use it - great for daytime naps when they are small
    If your bottle feeding - tommy tippie bottle maker - so good in middle of night :)
    Changing table for downstairs- super handy not to go upstairs - just a cheap one
    Growbag- stops them kicking off blankets
    A good thermometer- one you can use on forehead is great

We bought a big bundle of clothes on done deal so so good value !
    To be honest there is so much out there telling you you need this and that but just get essentials and if u need something you can get it !!

Skybirdjb wrote: »
    Hiya just jumping in this thread I have a 9 month old and these are the things we found really useful
    Co sleeper - so so handy
    Tiny love rocker - this is the best thing we had and still use it - great for daytime naps when they are small
    If your bottle feeding - tommy tippie bottle maker - so good in middle of night :)
    Changing table for downstairs- super handy not to go upstairs - just a cheap one
    Growbag- stops them kicking off blankets
    A good thermometer- one you can use on forehead is great

We bought a big bundle of clothes on done deal so so good value !
    To be honest there is so much out there telling you you need this and that but just get essentials and if u need something you can get it !!

Skybird really great advice thanks for taking the time. Was literally just googling co-sleepers and had decided that was the way to go. Good advice re. Changing table downstairs too, my poor brothers back is in a bad way from their little fella. Anything to try and make things a little easier. Thanks so much again!

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Skybirdjb

Skybird really great advice thanks for taking the time. Was literally just googling co-sleepers and had decided that was the way to go. Good advice re. Changing table downstairs too, my poor brothers back is in a bad way from their little fella. Anything to try and make things a little easier. Thanks so much again!

No problem! I was so so clueless about baby stuff and everyone kept telling me I needed this and that and it was overwhelming really
    My back still is so bad and it's handy not to have to lean over or carry him up the stairs
    Another thing you don't have to spend a fortune on things , there are cheaper options of everything and just as good !

Skybirdjb wrote: »
    No problem! I was so so clueless about baby stuff and everyone kept telling me I needed this and that and it was overwhelming really
    My back still is so bad and it's handy not to have to lean over or carry him up the stairs
    Another thing you don't have to spend a fortune on things , there are cheaper options of everything and just as good !

I couldn't agree more! Not to go off on a complete rant but I think some of the companies rely on parents thinking I want only the best for my baby and obviously the most expensive must be best, but this is not always the case. Often you are only paying for a name/make/label and that the cheaper option is just as good for half the price. Some items absolutely are a big investment and you pay the money (ie car seat, buggy etc), but it's easy to start believing that you need to get the best of everything. I'm determined not to fall into that trap!

I couldn't agree more! Not to go off on a complete rant but I think some of the companies rely on parents thinking I want only the best for my baby and obviously the most expensive must be best, but this is not always the case. Often you are only paying for a name/make/label and that the cheaper option is just as good for half the price. Some items absolutely are a big investment and you pay the money (ie car seat, buggy etc), but it's easy to start believing that you need to get the best of everything. I'm determined not to fall into that trap!

You're very right you'll find plenty of cheaper alternatives that are just as good or cheaper fixes that work for you. For example I don't have a changing table downstairs as I don't have the space for one, I used a padded changing mat on the end of my kitchen table and it works just aswell!

You might want to add baby monitor to your list too, not a necessity of course but give peace of mind to nervous parents, I got the Angelcare one with the sensor mat and its still going strong.

• Advertisement

Had a little early scan today. All went fine thankfully. I have to say, if anybody is very anxious and in need of some reassurance, I couldn't recommend it more. It was an external scan and we went home with a few photos which I have been glued to all evening. I thought I was almost 9 weeks but more likely just over 8 weeks she said. It was very worthwhile. The nausea is still raging!

Hope everyone is doing ok :-)

Advertisement