Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bleedin' burgers

Options
  • 19-05-2019 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭

I'm not a meat eater, but not much of a foodie either, not fond of cooking, and generally, eat a lot of meat substitutes like quorn etc.

I can't figure out these new meat alternatives that 'bleed' though.
    I stopped eating meat cos it was bleeding on me - is this aimed at meat eaters more than people who've stopped already?

As an aside, the price of some of the new stuff that's appeared in the 'meat free' section seems nuts to me, are folks really paying €7 for 2 'burgers'?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,474 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Mostly this is an example of big industry jumping on a food trend, see how expensive it is.

In the long term avoiding processed foods as much as possible is preferred be they meat or non meat.

Cook your meals from raw ingredients and consume them in as close to their original form as is possible. Try to have as wide a variety of foods and food groups as possible.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Ben Done wrote: »
    I'm not a meat eater, but not much of a foodie either, not fond of cooking, and generally, eat a lot of meat substitutes like quorn etc.

I can't figure out these new meat alternatives that 'bleed' though.
    I stopped eating meat cos it was bleeding on me - is this aimed at meat eaters more than people who've stopped already?

As an aside, the price of some of the new stuff that's appeared in the 'meat free' section seems nuts to me, are folks really paying €7 for 2 'burgers'?

They are made to appeal to people that eat meat and can cut down by eating similar things to what they like. They are also for people that stopped eating meat but still like to have something similar.

Those ones you quoted are the most expensive it gets in Ireland, mostly due to the smaller scale they produce at, they have announced plans to make them cheaper than meat. That takes time since they are so new. People are buying them yes, they sell out all over the US/Canada. If you are buying something infrequently it's not that much to have a good burger. That said, the Iceland supermarket "No Bull" burgers are really good and just €2.50 for 2. They do half price sales as well.

I think they definitely aren't for you! I stopped for ethical reasons, myoglobin from meat wouldn't bother me, whereas it might for some people. Better off with your veg and beans for your health anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

I never ate much meat, and don't like processed meat substitutes too much (prefer to use mushrooms for texture etc), but my overall feeling on the emergence of the very realistic meat like products recently is a bit of what has been said above about industry jumping on a food trend, and also quite a bit of an acknowledgement that the world overall cant continue to consume meat how it has been....

I view them also as being aimed at the meat eaters who maybe want to try reduce their consumption of meat products, or vegans/vegetarians who for dietary reasons needed to reduce or eliminate meat, as well as vegans who might miss meat etc. It will absolutely make BBQ's in the summer more fun and inclusive for all of those people! The cost though, is too much for me personally to consume on a regular basis (if I was drawn to the products anyway), although I have a friend who is currently spending around €40 a week on Vivera kebab meat alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

They are made to appeal to people that eat meat and can cut down by eating similar things to what they like. They are also for people that stopped eating meat but still like to have something similar...

This "bleedin" rubbish is just that. The meat which is cooked and properly served does not 'bleed all over the plate. People who eat healthily or who wish to eat a healthy balanced diet do not need to substitute good quality wholefoods ( and replace them with highly processed rubbish made out of soy and god knows what else). Nevermind the air miles this involves flying the crap halfway around the world.

The push and promotion of fake meat is little more marketing ploy to flog unsuspecting consumers cheap grain based rubbish.

Caveat emptor / buyer beware

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Ben Done

kcdiom wrote: »
    .. although I have a friend who is currently spending around €40 a week on Vivera kebab meat alone!

That's mad -they must be having kebabs for breakfast!

• Advertisement

Ben Done wrote: »
    That's mad -they must be having kebabs for breakfast!

I cant get my head round it tbh. He can eat 2 packs in one sitting so there's the expense racking up. He also doesn't find them any way satisfying and is hungry after (having the kebab meat in lettuce wraps) so I found myself asking him why he is even bothering but he loves the taste and I hope this phase will pass because I can't see any benefit from it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Haha, he could at least use them in something! Two packs at once, wow. yeah, he needs to branch out a bit. I've no problem spending money on food but he still needs some balance.

Not just balance - variety also! I'd be bored as hell with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

kcdiom wrote: »
    Not just balance - variety also! I'd be bored as hell with that!

Clearly it is .... addictive??

Advertisement