Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rent Goats to cut lawn

Options
  • 14-05-2019 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

Hi, Does anyone know if you can rent a goat (living Wicklow) so to cut back our lawn? Its fairly big and grown out of shape. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

How do you propose to keep the goat in your property to stop it wandering off? They are quite the escape artist

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

eeinke wrote: »
    Hi, Does anyone know if you can rent a goat (living Wicklow) so to cut back our lawn? Its fairly big and grown out of shape. Thanks

How about hiring a strimmer? Goats can be picky and hard to control and ornery .Had one for nine years... oh and I dug up the lawn for vegetables..

How about a couple of sheep? Or a llama...

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I always wanted an alpaca.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The last thing your garden need is a goat. It'll eat everything in sight and wander. Even sheep can be hard to hold in a garden, but are a better choice for clearing a lawned area.

Hire a decent strimmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

a donkey would be ideal,
    They eat everything they see and easy contained.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭johnb25

B-D-P-- wrote: »
    a donkey would be ideal,
    They eat everything they see and easy contained.

Think of it as an eco-friendly ride-on lawnmower:)

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭jopax

We have a big garden and I often did wonder about a goat. I wouldn't now after reading this. Is it possible just to buy a sheep and keep it as a pet. Would you need housing for it, or where do they usually sleep? Would there be maintenance in looking after it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

jopax wrote: »
    We have a big garden and I often did wonder about a goat. I wouldn't now after reading this. Is it possible just to buy a sheep and keep it as a pet. Would you need housing for it, or where do they usually sleep? Would there be maintenance in looking after it.
    They would need some form of shelter, access to water, a salt or mineral block and possibly additional hay if the pasture is fully cropped. And, shearing of course.

jopax wrote: »
    Is it possible just to buy a sheep and keep it as a pet. Would you need housing for it, or where do they usually sleep? Would there be maintenance in looking after it.
    Do you really want your garden covered in sheep sh!t?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Lumen wrote: »

I had some cows in my garden before Christmas to eat down my grass. Great fertiliser.

Ps. Locals call my garden a field....but what would a farmer know ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

This is the funniest thread of the year

What about a pig ? Could I slice rashers of him every day ? As long as I keep him fed they will grow back anyway right ?
    But what about his sausage

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

I was only talking about this myself recently. Owning a goat in the city? Will PETA or RSPCA kick my door in?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭blackbox

I've owned goats. They do not like to eat grass. They like to eat vegetation that is NOT on the ground.

They will only eat grass if they are starving, having eaten every shrub, flower and vegetable they can reach and if they have failed to break out.

They don't have to be hungry to break out. I think they see it as a hobby.

On the plus side, they have great character.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I've a Shetland x Welsh pony doing lawnmower duties on the front lawn here.
    Great job. And dungs in the one spot.
    No fossil fuel needed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Will PETA or RSPCA kick my door in?
    given that neither have a presence in ireland AFAIK, i think the answer is no.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

B-D-P-- wrote:
    a donkey would be ideal, They eat everything they see and easy contained.

..they need company too. You'll need to buy two.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I believe Rent-A-Goat closed down a few years back ...

People always seem to want goats over sheep despite the fact that they're a pain in the hole.

Maybe this is because they haven't considered a fancy sheep.

https://modernfarmer.com/2017/12/12-sickest-sheep-breeds-world-according-author/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

given that neither have a presence in ireland AFAIK, i think the answer is no.

Oh sorry, I meant ISPCA, the **** Irish version that are never open.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,976 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

eeinke wrote: »

Get it strimmed, and then keep on top of it every week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

NIMAN wrote: »
    Get it strimmed, and then keep on top of it every week.

Pretty mean way to treat a goat.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭jopax

Lumen wrote: »
    No definitely not & I can't see myself shearing any sheep either. On with the lawnmower I'm afraid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

A scythe is great for really long grass. Keep it razor sharp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

A scythe is great for really long grass. Keep it razor sharp.

"And this long swath seemed especially hard to Levin; but then, when the swath was finished and Titus, shouldering his scythe, went back with slow steps over his own heel prints in the mowing, and Levin went back the same way over his own mowing, though sweat streamed from his face and dripped from his nose, and his back was all wet as if soaked with water, he felt very good. He rejoiced especially knowing now that he would hold out."

Is that you Konstantin?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

Is that you Konstantin?

No. No it isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

OP, ask Bridie McGinty for a lend of hers

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bb12

They would need some form of shelter, access to water, a salt or mineral block and possibly additional hay if the pasture is fully cropped. And, shearing of course.

and you need a herd number for sheep and goats.

i have both. the pygmy goats are absolutely banned from the garden. they eat everything in sight except the grass. the amount of young fruit trees i've lost over the years....weirdly the only shrub they don't touch is buxus hedging. but they eat everyting else, beech, ash. laurel is a particular favourite, leylandi etc. the sheep are much better at controlling the grass and easier to control also.

Advertisement