Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Online marking

• 13-05-2019 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭

Just got the circular regarding online marking of Biology (as well as Maths ,Chem,Phys,LCVP) and I am worried about one aspect of it and wonder how well thought out it is !
    Students are advised to only use blue or black pen as red will not scan well . Pencil for diagrams. That’s all well and good for the languages
    But in Biology the really diligent kids will go the extra mile and color in their diagrams . Am I now to tell them not to bother as it will not scan in properly anyway ??????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Aquals

km79 wrote: »
    Just got the circular regarding online marking of Biology (as well as Maths ,Chem,Phys,LCVP) and I am worried about one aspect of it and wonder how well thought out it is !
    Students are advised to only use blue or black pen as red will not scan well . Pencil for diagrams. That’s all well and good for the languages
    But in Biology the really diligent kids will go the extra mile and color in their diagrams . Am I now to tell them not to bother as it will not scan in properly anyway ??????

Apart from any of that, I’d tell them not to colour in as their time could be much better spent elsewhere on the paper! Colouring in is not a scientific skill - they can get marks for that in their art exam. Surely they’d be better off checking and refining their answers to improve accuracy?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

Aquals wrote: »
    Apart from any of that, I’d tell them not to colour in as their time could be much better spent elsewhere on the paper! Colouring in is not a scientific skill - they can get marks for that in their art exam. Surely they’d be better off checking and refining their answers to improve accuracy?

They do get marks for presentation of diagram and most of them have loads and loads of time in the 3 hour exam
    Most don’t bother putting any colour in . Some do. Some like to draw it using coloring pencils.
    They shouldn’t be potentially penalized just to save the SEC money. Especially when they have only been told less than 4 weeks before the exam

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

No, colour won’t show. Even the blue and black both turn into a kind of charcoal grey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Science students told today not to bother work colour as it wont come out.
    Although you'd think that there would be no cost difference between a scanned colour image and b&w.
    Maybe colour takes takes more virtual space!

Science students told today not to bother work colour as it wont come out.
    Although you'd think that there would be no cost difference between a scanned colour image and b&w.
    Maybe colour takes takes more virtual space!

By whom ?
    It’s ridiculously late in the day for this

I can’t find any info on sec site beyond 2017-18

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Recent circular re exams
    .pdf file
    Don't know if there is anything more recent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

They do get marks for presentation of diagram
    Are you sure that it's marks for the presentation of the diagram, and not just marks for presenting a diagram? If it's the former, that's very unfair. It's a science exam, not an art exam.

It's news to me anyway. I've marked chemistry and junior science for many years and not a single mark was ever given for colouring in a diagram (unless that was specifically what was being asked - colour/shade the relevant section or something like that).

RealJohn wrote: »
    Are you sure that it's marks for the presentation of the diagram, and not just marks for presenting a diagram? If it's the former, that's very unfair. It's a science exam, not an art exam.

It's news to me anyway. I've marked chemistry and junior science for many years and not a single mark was ever given for colouring in a diagram (unless that was specifically what was being asked - colour/shade the relevant section or something like that).

They are not required to color on diagram
    What I meant was it makes it look better than one scrawled in black biro!
    Prob makes no difference though

However when I do the 9:3:3:1 cross with them I had always used 4 diff colors for 4 diff genotypes/phenotypes
    It made it very clear which was matched with which
    Not a huge deal but it's something I had JUST revised with them and advised them to do if that question comes up (whixh is likely )

It is just ridiculously late in the year for this to be announced imo
    And it's purely to save money

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Purefrank128

They are not required to color on diagram

How do you know? Or, rather, what makes you think that? The SEC's scanners will be able to scan in colour but things like gel-pens and high-lighters won't scan too well. So students are asked to use blue/black pen for text and pencil for graphs and diagrams. They are asked to do this so as to ensure that the examiner will be able to see their answer clearly. It doesn't save money.

Also, students were always asked to use blue or black pen in SEC exams, as other colours were for various ranks of examiners to use.

Is this really such a big deal for students? All they are being asked to do is use blue or black pen for answers using written text, as green and red may not scan as well. The move to marking on screen really doesn't affect students in the slightest.

It doesn't save money

Is this really such a big deal for students?
    The move to marking on screen really doesn't affect students in the slightest.

The move to online marking is totally about saving the SEC money . Think about it .

It was a big deal for my students when I told them about the changes less than a month before the exam they have spent 2 years preparing for

Yes. It is a significant change less than a month before their exam. They have done 2 mock exams for me . The answerbook is now different than these exams

But yeah it’s fine . A month out from their LC.
    Totally acceptable . Won’t affect any of them at all
    And if definitely won’t save the SEC any money.......

• Advertisement

The move to online The answerbook is now different than these exams

The SEC answerbook was always different to the ones schools used in "mocks". Also, so what? It's lined paper. They write on it, using the lines. This is such a big and unexpected trauma?

On money, examiners are getting the same payments. But do you have any idea what scanning and software development plus extra training might cost with the move it marking on screen?

The SEC answerbook was always different to the ones schools used in "mocks". Also, so what? It's lined paper. They write on it, using the lines. This is such a big and unexpected trauma?

On money, examiners are getting the same payments. But do you have any idea what scanning and software development plus extra training might cost with the move it marking on screen?

The answer book for Biology is now different with a short questions and experiment now a detachable section apparently
    I say apparently because schools have not been provided with a full sample
    Just the generic long answer book for all sciences and maths

My mistake . I thought that the SEC had to reimburse examiners for their trips to the post office and the cost of the stamps . That must have been my imagination for the decade I corrected

But yeah it’s fine . One month before exam. Fine .
    Ask your colleagues in the SEC/Dept in the morning why this couldn’t have been done in September ?

I won’t be responding to any more of your posts. You obviously feel very strongly on the issue that is not in any way linked to saving money seen as you went to the trouble of setting up an account especially to post on the topic ..........

I won’t be responding to any more of your posts. You obviously feel very strongly on the issue that is not in any way linked to saving money.

I feel very strongly that you have no way of knowing whether or not you are right when you say that "it's purely to save money".

With marking on screen there should be less/no chance of an error in adding together the marks for each question, or in transferring the total mark to the results database, as these operations are done by computer. Surely the elimination of such marking errors is of benefit to everyone, especially the student, no?

But you are so certain that "it's purely to save money" that you are probably not able to acknowledge any of the benefits associated with this change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

It was a big deal for my students when I told them about the changes less than a month before the exam they have spent 2 years preparing for

Yes. It is a significant change less than a month before their exam. They have done 2 mock exams for me . The answerbook is now different than these exams

But yeah it’s fine . A month out from their LC.
    Totally acceptable . Won’t affect any of them at all
    And if definitely won’t save the SEC any money.......

I looked at the new system with my 6th years today and I definitely agree that it is an added stress, especially so close to the exams.

Some of mine are used to doing things like labeling their diagrams/their graph axes in red/green pen and many of them are used to writing more than one question per sheet of paper.
    I also don't like the look of the graph paper given in the sample.
    Its just adds more things that the students have to remember and be conscious of.
    It would definitely have been an advantage to have this information before the pre exams.

Corkgirl18 wrote: »
    I looked at the new system with my 6th years today and I definitely agree that it is an added stress, especially so close to the exams.

Some of mine are used to doing things like labeling their diagrams/their graph axes in red/green pen and many of them are used to writing more than one question per sheet of paper.
    I also don't like the look of the graph paper given in the sample.
    Its just adds more things that the students have to remember and be conscious of.
    It would definitely have been an advantage to have this information before the pre exams.

There is massive graph paper every 4th page which is completely unnecessary for Biology !

Look at silly old us worrying about our students . What are we thinking !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭solerina

There is massive graph paper every 4th page which is completely unnecessary for Biology !

Look at silly old us worrying about our students . What are we thinking !

And totally inappropriate for Chemistry...proper graph paper would be preferable !! My students did not like hearing about the changes, some were quite stressed, and didn’t like not being able to use red pen when they have certain habits involving red pen on exams.

solerina wrote: »
    And totally inappropriate for Chemistry...proper graph paper would be preferable !! My students did not like hearing about the changes, some were quite stressed, and didn’t like not being able to use red pen when they have certain habits involving red pen on exams.

I spoke with physics teacher today and her class
    A couple of them are very stressed
    Whether they should be or shouldn’t be this is the reality in the classroom
    To be FRANK about it I wonder whether those exalting the virtues of it are current teachers at all as they can’t seem to grasp that introducing changes less than ONE MONTH before their exams is going to effect students

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Random sample

For anyone marking online this year (or anyone who did it for French or English previously) is a 7 inch tablet big enough?

solerina wrote: »

The graph paper is a bit ridiculous. Why the change? Its more difficult now to draw an accurate graph with those massive boxes!

The graph paper is a bit ridiculous. Why the change? Its more difficult now to draw an accurate graph with those massive boxes!

Less ink with the bugger squares saves money

I’m joking

• Advertisement

Less ink with the bugger squares saves money

I’m joking

The scary thing is that this actually wouldn't surprise me!!

The graph paper is 2 mm × 2 mm, as it always has been. The answerbook for Biology, Chemistry and Physics - including the graph paper pages - is on the SEC website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

The graph paper is 2 mm × 2 mm, as it always has been. The answerbook for Biology, Chemistry and Physics - including the graph paper pages - is on the SEC website.

That looks great online, but the copy I got in school was woeful. If it looks like this on the day then that's fine!

Moody_mona wrote: »
    That looks great online, but the copy I got in school was woeful. If it looks like this on the day then that's fine!

He is also just continuing to ignore the fact the Biology paper itself has changed . Not just the answer book. Section A and B are now detachable apparently . Only a small change but a change nonetheless. And the first time the students (and teachers ) will see it will be on the day of the exam.
    Again i ask why could these changes not have been made at start of year so students and teachers could use similar answer books and answer styles during house and mock exams ?

He is also just continuing to ignore the fact the Biology paper itself has changed . Not just the answer book. Section A and B are now detachable apparently . Only a small change but a change nonetheless.

In 2018 Higher Level Biology Sections A and B were to be completed in the spaces provided in the question paper; Section C was to be completed on a blank answer book. The same applies in 2019. The Sections are worth the same numbers of marks and have the same Ievels of choice they always had.

There are small changes every year to exam papers. In recent years LC papers have moved to white inside pages rather than pink/blue. The font has changed from Times to Calibri. Do each of these changes require the kind of 12-month notice you are suggesting? There is no change to the structure or format of the Biology papers, nor the content on which it is based.

There must be bigger fish to fry (in education and life in general) than the slight variation in the lined paper and 2 mm × 2 mm graph paper given to exam candidates.

Doing things "purely to save money" is fine, as long as there is no significant negative effect on the students, and I know they're all precious little snowflakes these days, but not being able to handle being told to use blue or black pens for a state exam is not something that should be considered a significant negative effect.

Some of mine are used to doing things like labeling their diagrams/their graph axes in red/green pen ...
    They should also be used to their teachers (including, but not limited to you) telling them not to use red or green pen because that's what examiners use, even before scanning became an issue.

Mine have been hearing it from day 1 in first year, and some of them persist with the red and green anyway, but they can't say they weren't told.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Red and green biro, tippex, those bloody highlighters...the list goes on. If the online marking in some subjects stops any of that nonsense it is well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Aquals

And if it stops science teachers emphasising artistic skill, instead of scientific knowledge and problem solving ability, it will also be well worth it!

Lesson learned - dont have the kids colouring during exams in future!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Have been thinking about this thread in recent days. It is a bigger issue that does merit discussion.
    In my subject - Home Ec - junior cert students are asked to sketch an outfit / household article as part of their exam (doesn't come every year mind) - if scanning comes in wholesale how will that work?
    Secondly I mark LC but can't see myself continuing when online marking comes in. As it is I struggle to do the online paperwork at times due to a slow processor - my own, which my SEC work was a contributory factor in buying but being of the cohert of lower/part time hours payscale I had to shop within a limited budget & couldn't afford a higher spec. I simply cannot imagine doing all my marking online on it. Added to that unreliable broadband. Max speed I can get is about 2 MG (if thats the right terminology) - over the years I have tried to get alternative suppliers but when they input my eircode I'm told I'm not serviced so I'm stuck with the one supplier. Already we have to monitor device usage in the house when we are all here as it slows down too much. If I'm confined to certain times of access it may be problematic.
    And I do think its unfair to throw any change like what is suggested for Biology at students on the day. It's not my area but are all teachers aware of the changes? Or just teachers who like those online here keep abreast of such things? I would hate to think any young person could be negatively affected on the day of a leaving cert exam over something unavoidable.

Advertisement