Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

how would you pronounce this name?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Almost any name will have some need to spell it and a few possible pronounciations. Even John can be spelled Jon.

Anaïs is close enough in spelling to how it's pronounced and short enough to be easily spelled that I wouldn't be too concerned about it causing difficulties.

It's a pretty name.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,367 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Otherwise kids wouldn't be called Michael, William or Richard. And I'm supposed to support dick jokes in such a thread referencing them based on that loose association? There is no difference here between that and the previous comment by Donald Trump taking an opportunity to make a crude joke.

Michael, William and Richard are all common names that kids are well used to seeing and pronouncing. I think the novelty factor, spelling and confusion around pronunciation could all well combine to produce a scenario where kids refer to an Anais as Anus. Because kids will be kids and they seize on anyone remotely "othered" in the savage hierarchy of the playground.
    I have a name that is technically French, and has an umlaut over one letter. Now, it doesn't make a huge difference but be aware that most places can't handle it in bookings etc. So 9/10 your daughter won't have the umlaut/accent over the i. I just looked at all my cards in my wallet and zero have managed to have the umlaut.

Out of curiosity, how is an umlaut represented alphabetically in French? In German if you can't type an umlaut you add an "e" after the letter it should have appeared on.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Edoyle6 wrote: »
    Does anyone else think this name reminds them of Anus though? I had never even thought of that. It starts with the same pronounciation as Anna so that wouldnt occur to me at all as they dont sound alike!

I wasn't taking the piss out of the name. As I said in my post, I couldn't see it in your OP. I was going off the post #3 which was "An Ace" which I thought would get corrupted easily by other kids messing

• Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I have a name that is technically French, and has an umlaut over one letter.

Umlaut is German though, or am I just being too pedantic in only using it to describe the 2 dots?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Hurrache wrote: »
    Umlaut is German though?

Some (not many) French names take an umlaut - 'Noëlle'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Ah, yes, they do indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It's called a trema in French I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭Hoboo

One of my French/Irish cousins names is Thomás.........at home in France its pronounced Toe - Ma.........here he's called Tom. Works just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Alun wrote: »

Spot on, accent tréma to give it its full name. Without it Anais, would be 'anay", with it, the 'a' and 'I' must be pronounced seperately.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Honestly would pronounce An-Ay-Ass at first glance and have never seen or heard the name before. It's a tough one. I have a French friend who called her son Lino and luckily she spent some years here in Ireland and knew that we refer to vinyl flooring as lino, but told me it's quite common! I do agree the more important choice to make is something that can be pronounced correctly rather than worrying about spelling. My daughters names are Abigail and Claire and I've seen some shocking attempts to spell both. Had two appointment letters "for the parents of" Klayre and Abby-Gail. Like, whut? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

This is also the name of a perfume brand, isn't it?
    https://www.boots.ie/cacharel-anais-anais-eau-de-toilette-spray-50ml-10011349
    97132_xl_5.jpg

I remember this being advertised years ago, with the pronunciation. I think a lot of people would recognise it from that. An-ay

The alternative for me would be to pronounce it like "Anois", meaning "Now" in Irish.
    An-ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

No,

Otherwise kids wouldn't be called Michael, William or Richard. And I'm supposed to support dick jokes in such a thread referencing them based on that loose association? There is no difference here between that and the previous comment by Donald Trump taking an opportunity to make a crude joke.

At the risk of derailing the thread (I am assuming is ok to respond since you are mod and have set the precedent) - I don't think anyone was taking the opportunity to make a crude joke.

The point it using a name from one region in another. Michael, William and Richard and their shortened forms are commonplace over most of Europe but Anais (at present) would be less common in Ireland and unusual to a childs ear. Therefore the potential for some kids to take the Mick would increase (especially as there was some debate over the pronunciation).

I hope you can see this.

Personally I think its a lovely name and will be grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Dial Hard wrote: »

Out of curiosity, how is an umlaut represented alphabetically in French? In German if you can't type an umlaut you add an "e" after the letter it should have appeared on.

Honestly I just leave it as the spelling without. It's just easier. It does wind me up when people add letters. No, it doesn't have a 'y', leave me alone!!! :pac::pac:
    Hurrache wrote: »
    Umlaut is German though, or am I just being too pedantic in only using it to describe the 2 dots?
    Alun wrote: »

Lads, my name is technically french, not me! All I know is it's two dots over the 'e' and it was always called an 'umlaut' and it checks out. My family are originally French Huguenot, been in Ireland for a few generations and my Mam liked the name.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I can only assume its men that are saying her name will be slagged and like anus, coz honestly I went to an all girls school, and that crap just didn't happen.Body parts are just not that fascinating to girls!!!!
    I'd say go for it OP.My own name is constantly mispronounced and it is not a tricky one at all.We would live in a very boring world if everyone was called after grandparents and parents and nobody branched out a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

If I read it is say its a-nish or ann-ish.

I've always called the perfume that and only learned on this thread I've pronounced it wrong my whole life.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

Anaïs is a beautiful name. I'm a big fan of French names, my daughter has one :), the only problem is that a lot of them don't sound as nice without a French accent.
    I needed to find one that was pronounced correctly in English, French and Spanish. My 7 year old doesn't allow anyone to get away without leaving out the accent égout in her name.

If you really love it, go with it. You can tell people how it's pronounced.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,367 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Xdancer wrote:
    My 7 year old doesn't allow anyone to get away without leaving out the accent égout in her name.

Isn't it aigu? I'm pretty sure an egout is a sewer!

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Isn't it aigu? I'm pretty sure an egout is a sewer!

Oops! Yes it is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

Kingp35 wrote:
    I agree with this. My wife's name is Debbi (no e) and it drives her mad when people get the spelling wrong, even after she tells them how to spell it.

The only one spelling it wrong is your missus!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

khaldrogo wrote: »
    The only one spelling it wrong is your missus!!!

Her name was Deborah, Deborah

It never suited her

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

have to say, I just see anus (had to really think about how to phrase that :) ) sorry but as an Irish person thats what I am seeing..

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I don't see anus - but what us grown-up's see in a name is not what kids might see.

Look, if a kid is going to get slagged they'll get slagged. Whether it's their name or their glasses or their hair colour. And if a kid really wants to nickname your child they will find something - anything- for it to be their nickname.

I've literally not long finished reading a rather hilarious facebook thread of nicknames and some are genius, funny or a bit mean depending on your point of view. One guy got a nickname because he got sick at sports training one single time. There's kids that got nicknamed because their dad had a nickname or their older brother's had nicknames and they got a diminutive of the name.

Advertisement