Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Quiz marque 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,050 ✭✭✭✭looksee

feargale wrote: »
    Nope.

The answer seems to vary depending on who you ask, I have so far found about 6 options though St Paul seems to be the most convincing to me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

looksee wrote: »
    The answer seems to vary depending on who you ask, I have so far found about 6 options though St Paul seems to be the most convincing to me anyway.

No. Paul has no more claim on London than Peter (he of the basilica) has on Rome, whose patron is Philip Neri. The net is full of speculation on this and other patron saints, but gets London right in spots. One person was venerated as patron in medieval London. The name is somewhat topical at present, which is why I chose the question. I got my info not from the net but from reading many years ago in some publication which I believe was reputable and authoritive. The possible existence of co-patrons doesn't negative the answer. Ireland has co-patrons too, but nobody would dispute that Patrick is the patron of Ireland.
    If you have surfed the net I reckon you've found it. I'll give it 24 hours more.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Archibald?

New Home wrote: »
    Archibald?

That's it, known in Anglo-Saxon as Earconwald or Erkenwald, Bishop of London in the Anglo-Saxon Christian church between 675 and 693. The Normans called him Archibald, but I'm sure his pals called him Archie, including those down at Buck House.

What is the Landsgemeinde?

Final clue: It exists now in only two cantons, Glarus and Appenzell Innerrhoden.

It formerly existed in many "rural cantons" but in none of the "city cantons."

It was progressively abandoned at the cantonal level through the 19th and 20th century. Zug and Schwyz jettisoned it in 1848, followed by Uri in 1928.

Nidwalden in 1996, Appenzell Ausserrhoden in 1997 and Obwalden in 1998 abolished their cantonal Landsgemeinde.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

That's it, known in Anglo-Saxon as Earconwald or Erkenwald, Bishop of London in the Anglo-Saxon Christian church between 675 and 693. The Normans, called him Archibald, but I'm sure his pals called him Archie, including those down at Buck House.

Or Baldie, if he was follicly-challenged. :pac:

I'll have to think of a question, I'll try and post it tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

looksee wrote: »

I asked my old friend in England and he says five are generally listed.

Erkenwald, George, Mellitus, Michael, & Paul the Apostle.

I just looked it up, there doesn't even seem to be a Saint Archibald. Hmmm. Unless Erkenwald is a variation of Archibald.

EDIT: Yes, that's it.

I asked my old friend in England and he says five are generally listed.

Erkenwald, George, Mellitus, Michael, & Paul the Apostle.

A few more and your friend will exceed the number who claim to have been in the GPO in 1916. :)

I am pretty confident in saying that Erkenwald/Archibald is the only one who was ever regarded as the patron saint of London,

Anyway we'll give it jointly to New Home and yourself.

A question each please.

P.S. After the final clue, surely somebody can now crack the Swiss one.

Commercial/Travel-related question.

What year did Ryanair open their first European routes (I don't mean the UK), and which ones were they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

Commercial/Travel-related question.

What year did Ryanair open their first European routes (I don't mean the UK), and which ones were they?

Brussels and Munich in 1988 - also the first year they carried more than 500,000 passengers.

(Sorry NH - Ryanair were a case study for me when I did my MBA a few years ago :D)

Detective Columbo is a constant on satellite TV channels and had been around since the early 70s.
    What is his first name?

IrishZeus wrote: »
    Brussels and Munich in 1988 - also the first year they carried more than 500,000 passengers.

(Sorry NH - Ryanair were a case study for me when I did my MBA a few years ago :D)

Ok, unless they had "precursor" flights before they opened their full service, I had Charleroi and Beauvais in 1997. Same year they had their IPO, BTW.

Detective Columbo is a constant on satellite TV channels and had been around since the early 70s.
    What is his first name?

Detective. Duh. :pac:

(But really, Frank)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Did they ever say his first name?

Ok, unless they had "precursor" flights before they opened their full service, I had Charleroi and Beauvais in 1997. Same year they had their IPO, BTW.

These routes were later shutdown when Ryanair started streamlining their service and homogenizing their fleet and also due to the impact on the company from the gulf war outbreak in '91. But back when they started their major expansions, and still had prop aircraft, they ran those two routes for a number of years. (Until 1992/93 I think*)

You are correct about the Beauvais and Charleroi routes in 1997 but to add to that, they also started operating routes from London to Stockholm and Oslo in that year, so the above marked their "first" 4 European routes in the modern-day Ryanair :)

Did they ever say his first name?

I'm not sure if someone said it or if he said it in any of the episodes, but I remember seeing it written down, probably on his I.D. or something. Besides, he looks like a Frank. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

New Home wrote:
    I'm not sure if someone said it or if he said it in any of the episodes, but I remember seeing it written down, probably on his I.D. or something. Besides, he looks like a Frank.

That's Frank Drebin.

:p

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    That's Frank Drebin.

:p

Nah, he looks like a Leslie. And don't call me Shirley.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

I'm not sure if someone said it or if he said it in any of the episodes, but I remember seeing it written down, probably on his I.D. or something. Besides, he looks like a Frank. :D

He definitely doesn't look like a Frank. He looks like a Richard.

• Advertisement

He definitely doesn't look like a Frank. He looks like a Richard.

Get. Out! :mad:

:pac:

Detective. Duh. :pac:

(But really, Frank)
    Yes, Frank, although he was never called such, it appeared on his ID card in a few episodes.

What is the Landsgemeinde?

Time to put this one away.

The Landsgemeinde or "cantonal assembly" is a public, non-secret ballot voting system operating by majority rule, which constitutes one of the oldest forms of direct democracy. It was formerly practiced in eight cantons, but for practical reasons has been abolished at the cantonal level in all but two cantons, Appenzell Innerrhoden and Glarus, where it still holds the highest political authority.

Eligible citizens of the canton or district meet on a certain day in the open air to decide on specific issues. Voting is accomplished by those in favour of a motion raising their hands. Historically, and in Appenzell until the admission of women, the only proof of citizenship necessary for men to enter the voting area was to show their ceremonial sword or Swiss military sidearm (bayonet); this gave proof that you were a freeman allowed to bear arms and to vote. Every enfranchised citizen is a "county councillor" so to speak.

The Landsgemeinde has been the sovereign institution of the Swiss rural cantons since the later Middle Ages, while in the city-cantons such as Lucerne, Schaffhausen, or Bern, a general assembly of all citizens was never established.

Appenzell Innerrhoden is the smallest canton by population (c. 16,000.) very Catholic and very conservative, and was the last to give votes to women, in 1991 following a decision of the Federal Supreme Court. I was there very briefly in 1985 when the issue of votes for women was up for debate. One woman expressed reservations to me, saying that the main problem about votes for women was that doubling the franchise would make the Landsgemeinde unwieldy, and that it was an ancient tradition that should not die.

If you are interested there are a few pics of the Landsgemeinde online, maybe some live stuff too. It is sometimes cited as the purest form of direct democracy on the planet.

I owe one. For what is Leo Hendrik Baekeland known?

Lego?

IrishZeus wrote: »
    I owe one. For what is Leo Hendrik Baekeland known?

Inventing plastic, baekelite in particular.

Inventing plastic, baekelite in particular.

And photographic paper.

I knew about the plastic, but not the paper :o

Question each from Feargale and Srameen?

Forgot about this place......it's dark in here.....helloooo…….

A quick one to kick start us.

What does a hagiographer do?

• Advertisement

Icons?

(I also owe a question from before, sorry...).

Advertisement