Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Smoking childminder: how to handle it

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,076 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

She has the intelligence of an ape, unfit to look after animals let alone children.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 kateee47298

Hmmm, did you ever mention in the past that you don't allow smoking inside the house? If so, she completely disrespecting you, your home and your child. I would fire her for that. If not, maybe try to bring it up in conversation about someone else trying to smoke inside the house and how you have a strict outdoors only policy. But i wouldn't let it carry on, that secondhand smoke is very damaging to children

• Registered Users Posts: 81,076 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Hmmm, did you ever mention in the past that you don't allow smoking inside the house? If so, she completely disrespecting you, your home and your child. I would fire her for that. If not, maybe try to bring it up in conversation about someone else trying to smoke inside the house and how you have a strict outdoors only policy. But i wouldn't let it carry on, that secondhand smoke is very damaging to children

I don't allow people to openly $hit inside my house, I don't feel the need to mention it to them, it's just common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Etc

She has the intelligence of an ape, unfit to look after animals let alone children.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,990 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

enricoh wrote: »
    Ask her to get a vape yoke when inside, she will probably be outdoors a lot more in the coming months and can smoke away out there

Have you ever smelled a vape in a confined space?
    Yuck.

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,951 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Id fire her ass.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

the answer is to have her use e-cigarettes!!!
    are some people completely clueless??

Vaping around me catches in my throat pretty badly. I'm not normally allergic or sensitive to scent or pollen or anything like that but vaping next to me has me coughing and struggling to breathe. Funnily enough I'm absolutely grand with actual cigarette smoke.

So I don't think I would be keen on someone vaping around my home or my child.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

vaping is just as bad, i am surprised so many people actually do it and think tis better than smoking.. Wait a few years and it will be OMG how is this not good for me.. It should be treated the same as smoking go outside if you want to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭skallywag

Although the jury is indeed out on how harmful or not vaping may be, even the most basic understanding of science suggests that the probability is extremely high that it must be less harmful than actually smoking.

I would not encourage anyone to start vaping, but I would highly recommend any smoker to switch to vaping, that is if they cannot stop smoking completely in any case.

That said I would still rather than someone minding my child did neither in their presence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

I would not be comfortable with a smoker minding my child, for all the reasons listed above. My husband's aunty smokes outside, and I am uncomfortable with her holding the baby. We don't see her that often, but a childminder will be holding your child every day. I would have to get rid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Bunnyslippers

I’d ditch her straight away, she doesn’t give two figs about your child or your house with that sort of behaviour, I’d be furious! To help minimise the risk of second hand smoke, which is supposed to be worse than first hand, a smoker should not smoke for two hours prior to being with a child plus they need to shower and change clothes. So unless this lady is going to sit in your garden for two hours after a fag, while your child is alone, then strip off and hose herself down before reentering your house then get rid of her!!

I don’t understand how anyone can smoke and have children, it’s disgusting and totally selfish, my sister left her jumper at a friends house by accident and the friend returned it two months later, I washed it 4 times and it still stank and she had to bin it, there are two small children in that house! My mother came from a home where her parents both smoked and her and her siblings have terrible lung issues all their lives, but especially as they’ve got older, even though none of them have ever smoked! It should be classed as abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I’d ditch her straight away, she doesn’t give two figs about your child or your house with that sort of behaviour, I’d be furious!
    As OP has said;
    gaiscioch wrote: »
    it took me a long time to find a reliable childminder and I don't have a backup plan

=-=

OP; I've known a load of smokers who'd smoke with the door open, not realising that the smoke still enters the house. As they don't smell it, they don't realise this. Some even think they're doing it on the sly, and that no-one will notice. if she minded babies for other smokers, they probably never would even notice.

TBH, it's a tough one, because if you tell her that she'll need to go outside, she'll probably say that she can't watch your kid whilst she's outside.

Ask her how many she smokes a day before telling her not to smoke in the house (ie; before she goes on the defensive). If she's a pack-a-day smoker, you're fighting a lost cause but if it's "only a few", then ask her to only smoke outside with the windows closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭d8491prj5boyvg

When I read the title first I thought this was some sort of Chris DeBurgh-type dilemma!

I would ask her not to smoke in the house or around the child. If you want, perhaps set up an area at the bottom of the garden or behind the shed, etc. for smoking. It might ensure no smoking outside the door which affects the hall but I would not feel obliged to go that far.

Advertisement