Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Gareth: Tues 12 /Weds 13 March 2019 (Orange Warning for NW)

• 10-03-2019 10:00pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Tracking across the N of Scotland and then down the E coast of the UK producing a very large strong windfield with this Storm later Tues into Weds . Looks like Connaught and Ulster getting the strongest winds especially in coastal areas . Safe to say we will have warnings issued, will put up a yellow for the moment and it might be higher in the above mentioned areas.

Looks like gusting 110 to 120km/h in coastal areas and 90 to 110 km/h overland in parts of Connaught and Ulster.

k4Nnmkx.gif

qoHF496.png

u3HNqYL.png

r9U4txN.png

TitLW8d.png

nARsN2v.png

SKFWyy2.png

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

EURO 4 Hi Res looking very strong in its early stages, strong windfield taking in more of the W and SW coasts , might tame down a bit in further runs. Will see .

Just runs to 18.00 Tues at the moment.

5OVFBxe.png

6JrtH9X.png

0bXBP3m.png

HurREJl.png

uzsgpCt.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

EURO 4

jAnGIyR.gif

HJim1L7.gif

SgtDlp5.gif

ARPEGE 18Z just coming out and looking very strong , probably showing up to 130 km/h and maybe more in coastal fringes on this run.

anim_zim4.gif

The front crossing the country tomorrow night which will probably have it's own warnings is the cold front from the storm which in itself will track close to us Tues in to Weds.

Monday / Tues

anim_kiu8.gif

Satellite shows the Storm developing well off the W/NW of Ireland

RcHRhuI.jpg

BRyqoUS.png

NOAA Charts showing the track of the storm up until Weds.

MepnvKN.png

Xn0InZ0.png

Qu6q4ha.png

fVUy14N.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

ECM Extreme Weather Index for gusts for 24 hours up to midnight Wednesday. It's on a scale of 0 to 1, where 1 is highly unusual for this area at this time of year.

attachment.php?attachmentid=475147&d=1552261816

EURO 4 18Z just out and looking very to extremely windy in coastal areas of the SW, W , NW and N and showing it particularly windy along the W, NW and N with widespread 120 to 130 km/h and 140 km/h in places and around Malin perhaps 140km/h +.

Showing it getting up to 110 - 120 km/h inland also in parts of Connaught and widespread 110 to 120 km/h in Ulster and perhaps higher in places and possibly 110 to 120 km/h in coastal areas of Kerry and Clare . Also showing fairly widespread 90 to 100 km/h gusts across much of Ireland.

Would need to compare and verify these wind speeds with other reliable models in the morning especially the ECM, they might be a tad high although the ARPEGE looks similar enough.

dSjkmxV.gif

6JJNCqx.png

LmczGsz.png

T6rzhWi.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,080 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Wow, that would be in the red level for Western counties.

Just looking through the models and especially the ECM and they would suggest atm winds up to 110 to 120 km/h in coastal areas of the W , NW and N , possibly a bit higher on headlands.

Strongest winds inland in parts of N Connacht and Ulster look like gusting up around 110 km/ h . Looks like weds morning will see the strongst winds overland of around 80 to 100km/ h.

EURO 4 looks to be overdoing it a bit .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Well that settles that, leaving the west tomorrow morning rather than evening! Been debating whether morning or evening travel would suit the baby better but we’ll get on the road early.

Interesting to see that chart about how unusual the weather is, I’ve never seen it before

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭shmaupel

I count 6 big boats in Donegal bay here. Never a great sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭shmaupel

shmaupel wrote: »
    I count 6 big boats in Donegal bay here. Never a great sign.

Make that 8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Will be an interesting one to track, 4 different models here at +41 from 00z
    feb12thstorm.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,096 ✭✭✭pad199207

Yellow warnings have now been issued

STORM GARETH

Status Orange - Wind warning for Donegal, Leitrim, Mayo and Sligo

As storm Gareth approaches, westerly winds will reach mean speeds of 65 to 75km/h with damaging gusts reaching 110 to 130km/h. There is also the risk of coastal flooding due to high seas.

Valid: Tuesday 12 March 2019 12:00 to Wednesday 13 March 2019 09:00

Issued: Monday 11 March 2019 11:00

Updated: Monday 11 March 2019 11:00

WIND

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Ireland

Westerly winds will reach mean speeds of 50 to 65km/h and gusts of 90 to 110km. There is a risk of coastal flooding due to high seas along Atlantic coasts.

Valid: Tuesday 12 March 2019 12:00 to Wednesday 13 March 2019 12:00

RAINFALL

Status Yellow - Rainfall warning for Connacht, Donegal, Clare, Cork, Kerry and Limerick

Heavy rain followed by squally showers will lead to the risk of rainfall accumulations of around 25mm.

Valid: Monday 11 March 2019 18:00 to Tuesday 12 March 2019 06:00

Issued: Monday 11 March 2019 10:57

Updated: Monday 11 March 2019 10:57

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

....and....

An orange warning too.

Status Orange - Wind warning for Donegal, Leitrim, Mayo and Sligo.

As storm Gareth approaches, westerly winds will reach mean speeds of 65 to 75km/h with damaging gusts reaching 110 to 130km/h. There is also the risk of coastal flooding due to high seas.

And we're orange! Hello Storm Gareth
    Status Orange - Wind warning for Donegal, Leitrim, Mayo and Sligo

3 of us within a minute!

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Tacklebox

What time frame do we have ?

I'm wondering as I have to batten down the my hardening off area's...

Plant nursery

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Tacklebox wrote: »
    What time frame do we have ?

I'm wondering as I have to batten down the my hardening off area's...

Plant nursery

Says it in the warnings

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭smallwonder

Redbull Storm Chase are up with us at the moment in Magheroarty. 8 of the best windsurfers in the world are here to compete in that storm!! They were out yesterday in the hail and wind. Class to watch!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Snow angel

Husband has to work in Belmullet tomorrow. Would I be right in saying he would be safe enough til about 1-2pm?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

Snow angel wrote: »
    Husband has to work in Belmullet tomorrow. Would I be right in saying he would be safe enough til about 1-2pm?

And we're off........... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Snow angel

GoneHome wrote: »
    And we're off........... :rolleyes:

In fairness I don’t usually ask silly questions like that but he is asking me because he knows I have an interest in weather and might be able to advise him. He has a high sided van. I’ve said morning and get back by 2. Just wanted to check as it’s quiet here still.

But thanks for your helpful eye roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Redbull Storm Chase are up with us at the moment in Magheroarty. 8 of the best windsurfers in the world are here to compete in that storm!! They were out yesterday in the hail and wind. Class to watch!

I saw that there was a general call on Twitter for surfing dudes from abroad to make it to the west coast to experience surfing a coastal storm of the century.

I was up In Clare yesterday and at between Doolin and Fanore the conditions were absolutely wild and impossible to walk into the wind onshore. The driving hail and freezing rain made visibility almost zero at times

I do hope these guys know just how violent and lethal the Irish Atlantic in winter can be tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭Storm 10

There are now 41 very large Irish and Norwegian Super trawlers tied up in Killybegs and 9 currently sheltering in Donegal Bay, now there is a sign of things to come .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Storm 10 wrote: »
    There are now 41 very large Irish and Norwegian Super trawlers tied up in Killybegs and 9 currently sheltering in Donegal Bay, now there is a sign of things to come .

A sight to see. Maybe some one can grab a picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭aisling86

A sight to see. Maybe some one can grab a picture.

Thankfully they are in nice & early.
    Can't believe how quiet things are here. The few people I know living in the orange warning areas had no idea a storm was coming until I mentioned it, hopefully people won't get caught off guard. This is definitely a biggie.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

aisling86 wrote: »
    Can't believe how quiet things are here. The few people I know living in the orange warning areas had no idea a storm was coming until I mentioned it, hopefully people won't get caught off guard. This is definitely a biggie.

Kinda on this topic, I downloaded the met eireann app last week with the hope it would give me push notifications of weather alerts. It doesn't. Anyone know an app that does? We have to bring our rabbit hutches indoors for a big storm, and being in Donegal this one could be big.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Well this crept up on me. Thankfully I'm off work tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭squarecircles

aisling86 wrote: »

i had been highlighting this potential storm in the up to 120 hrs thread.it was suggested i was viewing outdated
    output,the general view was that it was trending away northwards.

If you see Meteorite post wind charts you can rest assured theres a storm a brewing.
    His analysis is great.

i think everyones up to speed now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

I might as well get this out of the way,just a windy winters day here no need for a warning, or do I have to wait till tomorrow to post that!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Fairly gusty in cork city with cork airport reporting gusts of 30kts ATM. Dark clouds coming in as well slowly

Advertisement