Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best shoes for walking on concrete?

• 21-05-2019 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭

Howdy.

Any suggestions for a good ladies shoe/runner for walking on concrete, approx 4 miles per day? It's on city streets, so grip, waterproof factor etc is not important.

Already have a good pair of sturdy boots for hiking, but am looking for something more lightweight.

Friend (who is doing the Camino) suggested a shoe or runner with a Vibram sole, but they seem kinda pricey, especially as it's a relatively short walk every day & not the Camino. Any branded runners have a particularly good reputation for walking on hard concrete surfaces?

Have been into a couple of outdoorsy shops and got the hard sell (which I don't trust) towards a couple of brands, so any opinions given here will be gratefully received. :)

Comments

What's your comfortable budget, and what would you stretch to?

Are looks important? Meaning, do you intend on wearing them at work or whatever.

Man, woman, ballpark on your general weight (light/normal/heavier) would be helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

JayZeus wrote: »
    What's your comfortable budget, and what would you stretch to?

Are looks important? Meaning, do you intend on wearing them at work or whatever.

Man, woman, ballpark on your general weight (light/normal/heavier) would be helpful.

Woman. Average height & build. (Make of that what you will. ;) ) Yes, would prefer they don't look too daft with my work clothes. So runner style shoe preferred ideally, but not mandatory. Vibram shoes I've seen are all over €100. Would be happier staying in the €50 range, but don't want to have sore feet in a month because I bought cheap rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I doubt you'd get much in the 50 quid range. Merrell make very solid hiking shoes, and in sales you can get them around 100.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Woman. Average height & build. (Make of that what you will. ;) ) Yes, would prefer they don't look too daft with my work clothes. So runner style shoe preferred ideally, but not mandatory. Vibram shoes I've seen are all over €100. Would be happier staying in the €50 range, but don't want to have sore feet in a month because I bought cheap rubbish.

try tk max , do have good deals on hiking shoes every now and then

• Registered Users Posts: 64,760 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I got my Merrells from Amazon in a sale for GBP74 two years ago

Well worth the money. Sturdy, Goretex and fully water proof. They are lasting very well. If you don't need the durability or waterproofness, did you try Skechers runners? Got my last pair for GBP32

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

+1 for Skechers GoWalk range

• Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

If waterproofness isn't a factor, I would always go for runners (as opposed to trail shoes) for walking on a surface like concrete.

I have a pair of fairly elderly Asics runners - they may not look the best with work clothes, mind you - and they'd be my go to shoes for "urban" surface walking. Anything likely to have mud/gravel/uneven surfaces, I'd be going for the vibram, grippy sole.

I have Skechers flipflops, but never got any of their walking shoes - they look mega comfy, but someone I know who has a pair says they are fairly flat, don't have much arch support, so may not be great for distances depending on your feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,760 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I do a lot of walking and running on hard surfaces. I prefer ASICS to sketchers. Sketchers feel lovely and bouncy when you first buy them but they don’t support the foot as well as the ASICS.

You could very well be right. OP is walking though, not running. Probably makes a big difference in the support you need

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

Asics work fine for walking but I prefer trail shoes

Merrel and hi tec are reasonable low price options in my (male) experience

There was a recent sale in ecco shoes which are lovely

Advertisement