Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Multi-room audio distribution

• 10-05-2019 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭

Looking for some budget options to complete an audio system;

- House has 4 pre-wired audio zones, back to a central hub
    - L&R ceiling mount 60Amp speakers so 16 RCA connections at hub
    - Functionality over quality of sound

From what I can see the options are a

- HEOS Drive which has full 4 zone remote switching from App but @€;2k too expensive.
    - Sonos ZP120 to connect 1 zone and switch manually to other zones as needed @€;500
    - Connect a 4 zone switch to the output of an old Technics SA-EH60 amp and remote play via my Neet Airstream. Just need the switch spec?

Any other suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Pepsie

Hi jaytobe,
    Multi-zone quality HiFi/Stereo has been a keen interest of mine for quite a number of years. I have built a few systems for Stereo distribution multi-room use.
    Yes you are right, there are very few options available for quality Multi-zone HiFi/Stereo, unless you are looking at spending plus of €3k.
    Some so called "Wi-Fi stereo" stuff or small intermediary connection boxes have come on market (Neet & ChromeCast being examples). I have tried a lot of them, but sound quality is very poor, also continuous connection & actual functionality has been impossible for real use.
    The Sonos option with an individual Sonos setup per zone/room works best on the functionality score.
    After deciding the number of rooms(zones) you want audio going to, the next deciding important factor is setting your available budget. What is your budget to achieve your set-up?

BTW: I presume you meant to say 60watt ceiling speakers (not 60amp). Are your eight speakers rated 6 ohms or 8 ohms?

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭jaytobe

Hi Pepsie, thanks for post.

Yes, meant 60Watt (pure amateur!). Think speakers are 6ohms.

I want all 4 zones operational but happy to use a Sonos and a manual switch. I use the Neet at the moment with cables from Technics Amp out to Zone panel for 1 area only - very crude but worked for 1 zone. Not looking for high end sound fidelity.

Max I will spend probably €1k.

Appreciate any recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭jaytobe

This unit looks just fine for a manual switch I reckon.

Advertisement