Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Reversed into bollard, what are my options here?

Options
  • 03-08-2020 1:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭

So I reversed into one of those metal bollards, the bollard is fine obviously.
    My right side of rear is not looking best though.

Just wondering what costs would I be looking at to fix it?
    The car is 09 BMW 3 Series 318D LCI, M Sport.
    The damage is:
    1) Tail light cover is gone (just the outer plastic shell), it works fine.
    2) Bumper is dented in.

https://i.imgur.com/JuIeIaD.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/naLoEwT.jpg

So just wondering:
    1) Do I need whole tail light or can plastic cover be bought seperately?
    2) Do I need whole new bumper or can this be fixed? (and how much would that approximately be?)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Tail light is entire unit m don’t think they’re too dear, even if they’re LED.

Bumper is toast as far as I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

Fix the light.. illegal to drive with broken light.

If the bumper is just dented (not broken or barely hanging on) then leave it. Cost to fix it would be more than it's worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Get light from scrap yard here or ebay... bumper, id get orice or two and have it sprayed, too nice a car to leave like that my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭ongarite

Looks a little more than a small tip.
    The bumper has popped out of the clips or broken them.
    The rear light made a small dent in the boot lid when it was pushed in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭kdevitt

There are usually plenty of those LCI tail lights up on eBay - its a 5 minute job to swap. The bumper needs to come off if its going to be properly repaired - so you're probably looking at €350 of so to fix it.

Alternatively, you might get lucky on eBay again with one in the same colour (like here - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-3-SERIES-E90-Rear-Bumper-With-Sensor-Holes-GENUINE/122725377308?hash=item1c9300a51c:g:eDoAAOSwFe5X1rLc) - then it'd just need to be swapped over - which is about an hour or twos work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Ring around a few breakers tomorrow and see what they have to offer. Bumper could be repaired, but there's a fair bit of fidlding with it, probably much cheaper to buy a 2nd hand one as the model and colour is very common.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

kdevitt wrote: »
    There are usually plenty of those LCI tail lights up on eBay - its a 5 minute job to swap. The bumper needs to come off if its going to be properly repaired - so you're probably looking at €350 of so to fix it.

Alternatively, you might get lucky on eBay again with one in the same colour (like here - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-3-SERIES-E90-Rear-Bumper-With-Sensor-Holes-GENUINE/122725377308?hash=item1c9300a51c:g:eDoAAOSwFe5X1rLc) - then it'd just need to be swapped over - which is about an hour or twos work.

Yeah been looking around for 2nd hand bumpers but barely any of them have diffuser cutout :(

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

daheff wrote: »
    Fix the light.. illegal to drive with broken light.

If the bumper is just dented (not broken or barely hanging on) then leave it. Cost to fix it would be more than it's worth.

It’s the difference between having a nice presentable car and not.

arleitiss wrote: »
    Yeah been looking around for 2nd hand bumpers but barely any of them have diffuser cutout :(

Didn't even notice it was M-Sport. There are a good few up there - but they're not cheap, and shipping would be expensive too.

Got pair of tail lights for 80.
    And found bumper (different color though) in the North for 100, will go collect it on Friday.

Any rough ideas of cost of respray?
    Is there a possibility of leaving bumper at shop that will respray it and come back later to fit it?

• Advertisement

Is there a possibility of leaving bumper at shop that will respray it and come back later to fit it?

I imagine most shops will do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I dont know if bumper from north makes any financial sense? It still needs to be sprayed and fitted...

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I dont know if bumper from north makes any financial sense? It still needs to be sprayed and fitted...

I've checked some ads and nobody seems to have M sport bumper with parking sensors and if there is one - it's generally already gone.

Just an update to anyone interested:

Tail lights arrived, 80 euro for pair, will replace both as left one is brand new (so why not?)
    Collected bumper from Armagh yesterday for 100 Pounds + 20 Pounds tax.

Dropped it off for respray today, they took color measurement of rear wing, will be ready in 3-4 days was quoted 310 Euro (Respray: 280 Eur + 30 Eur for removal of mudflaps and filling holes on new bumper)

New bumper in NI Breakers: https://i.imgur.com/MhcYdOY.jpg

The mudflap that needs to be removed and filled: https://i.imgur.com/hzLcMAL.jpg

This was definitely a costly mistake for me, I am considering getting reversal camera now (I have LCD display in my car that supports it).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Its a pretty nasty experience alright. Happened me once when I was reverse parallel parking into a spot in my then 7 year old facelift Vectra B which was my pride and joy at the time. It was the quarter panel that got it and a clip behind bumper got broken.

There was a guy nearby on the footpath on the phone who proceeded to tell who was on the other side of the line what happened. Could have rung his neck as he seemed to be somewhat smug about it and probably had time to warn me.

Those bollards like bits of footpaths jutting pointlessly out onto the roads can be in proper silly places. I feel your pain.

Its a pretty nasty experience alright. Happened me once when I was reverse parallel parking into a spot in my then 7 year old facelift Vectra B which was my pride and joy at the time. It was the quarter panel that got it and a clip behind bumper got broken.

There was a guy nearby on the footpath on the phone who proceeded to tell who was on the other side of the line what happened. Could have rung his neck as he seemed to be somewhat smug about it and probably had time to warn me.

Those bollards like bits of footpaths jutting pointlessly out onto the roads can be in proper silly places. I feel your pain.

The worst part is that it was at night time, when there was no single soul around.

It was this fu*cker: https://i.imgur.com/MjXKWNw.jpg

I stopped where that silver taxi is and reversed high speed (probably about 10-20 kph) and smashed right into it.

Lesson learned anyway, don't high-rev reverse again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Now they look to be in a right silly place altogether. At least in my case they were along the outside edge of a footpath. I'd say your far from the first person who badly damaged a car on them f'ing things. Probably a case of I fought the bollard and the bollard won:mad:

Turned out great - nice job. Who did the paint work for you?

kdevitt wrote: »
    Turned out great - nice job. Who did the paint work for you?

There is a crash repair place just on N7/Rathcoole.

• Advertisement
Advertisement