Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The trashing of our parks and beaches

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Lemsiper

Smartass.

I'll take that over being a dumbass.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

It's the verb thrash meaning to whip/belt/assault...

Two different words- see below.
    No, wrecking something is "trashing" (see 5th definition)

and giving someone a hiding is a "thrashing"

They are not the same thing, you've caught me on a particularly pedantic day but it ain't me who's scarleh ;-)

On a positive note, I live in a fairly salt a' dee ert area in Dublin, we had a party on the green outside my house last night with all the neighbours. Bingo, karaoke, plenty of food and drink and thankfully there wasn't as much as a sweet wrapper left on the grass after it all, despite the fun going on into the early hours, so that was nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,675 ✭✭✭buried

Eh no - I seriously doubt it's the same group of teenagers.

Yeah you are right, the same group that drink it up and spew litter all over the place are most definitely the ones that will spend the day in school rather than get a day off for any sort of excuse

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Biker79 wrote: »
    That is incredible.

Why would a person leave rubbish like that instead of taking it with them?
    Can't someone else do it? This is a job for the Sanitation Commissioner to organise

Great input as usual buddy
    Thanks. Easy to dodge school for half a day to "save the planet" but then leave a trail of ****e behind them in the park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,505 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Edgware wrote: »
    Can't someone else do it? This is a job for the Sanitation Commissioner to organise

They let me sign cheques with a stamp Marge, A STAMP!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,743 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Thanks. Easy to dodge school for half a day to "save the planet" but then leave a trail of ****e behind them in the park.

How are you coming to this conclusion? You can't just fantasise about something and then present it as fact in a discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,016 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

buried wrote: »
    Yeah you are right, the same group that drink it up and spew litter all over the place are most definitely the ones that will spend the day in school rather than get a day off for any sort of excuse

Eh?

Are you suggesting there;s only one group of teenagers in your area...?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

How are you coming to this conclusion? You can't just fantasise about something and then present it as fact in a discussion.

I just did. Have you seen the trail of rubbish some of these "Gretas" leave between the local shop and the school gate? "Sure Mummy can pick it up"

I just did. Have you seen the trail of rubbish some of these "Gretas" leave between the local shop and the school gate? "Sure Mummy can pick it up"

I;m guess you must be Mummy then.

• Advertisement

Eh?

Are you suggesting there;s only one group of teenagers in your area...?

Look Princess, twist it all you want in whatever ridiculous fashion you want to. I seen the exact same group a few weeks ago do the whole 'save the planet' wolix during last winter now filth up the area near where I live in the last week, last night again too. I seen them. Unless you live in my same community and can claim that they aren't, you can go home with your "ehs" and "eh no's". Its happening. But sure twist away and say it isn't. I know it is!

Look Princess, twist it all you want in whatever ridiculous fashion you want to. I seen the exact same group a few weeks ago do the whole 'save the planet' wolix during last winter now filth up the area near where I live in the last week, last night again too. I seen them. Unless you live in my same community and can claim that they aren't, you can go home with your "ehs" and "eh no's". Its happening. But sure twist away and say it isn't. I know it is!

Or you just hate environmentalist teenagers, or "Greatas" as someone else called them - and want to pin something on them as part of a smear campaign and hey this will do nicely :) -- I think we both know which one is correct.

That or you simply don't beleive decent teenagers exist (granted - understandable in come communites, I suppose...)

G'night man :) have fun in your bitter self-important existance! :)

Or you just hate environmentalist teenagers, or "Greatas" as someone else called them - and want to pin something on them as part of a smear campaign and hey this will do nicely :) -- I think we both know which one is correct.

That or you simply don't beleive decent teenagers exist (granted - understandable in come communites, I suppose...)

G'night man :) have fun in your bitter self-important existance! :)

I don't give a monkey's about whatever way they want to find hip one week to the next Princess. I find it hilarious. You are the one claiming what I'm seeing it isn't happening or else "i hate it" when you literally have no clue what I am actually seeing and laughing at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Should their be more media videos on tv or ads on radio nearly a bit like anti smoking ones to discourage all the littering of our country ??
    Some Ethnic breeds in our country are gone beyond recall but if a quarter of the others stopped it would be a sizeable reduction !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

I think there's a massive problem with littering everywhere here, I started to do a good bit of walking during quarintine and the amount of bags of dog ****e just thrown in bushes is huge . Lazy idiots can't even carry it to a bin. I do a good bit of fishing aswell and the amount of rubbish people throw in bushes is unreal, it's not kids doing it either .
    I started the young lad playing rugby last year, went down to watch them train and you'd see the usual Ross o Carroll Kelly lookalikes standing there drinking coffee . The coach came over to them and told them that the club isn't a dump and to bring their cups to the bin instead of leaving them on the sidelines as they did last week. I'd like to see undercover litter wardens to out and fine people for throwing rubbish on the ground .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Where can one buy a good thrash can?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

ugGhoJY.png

Down Sesame Street. Ask for Oscar.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,267 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Most of it round my area it is gangs of teenagers. The same ones who a couple of months ago who were doing the eco strikes from every week school to 'save de planet'!

I'd wager that they were two very different sets of teenagers

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭1 sheep2

lawred2 wrote: »

Pity the fool who takes that bet!
    ...the usual Ross o Carroll Kelly lookalikes standing there drinking coffee.

I don't want to make this into a class thing, but your ire is greatly misdirected if you think the problem group is middle class parents.

• Advertisement

lawred2 wrote: »

Maybe it's Fight Club but with a group of teenagers?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,474 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Fann Linn wrote: »
    A fine is €150

Sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

_Brian wrote: »
    Sure

Nope - he's right.
    Fines for littering
    Leaving or throwing litter in a public place is an offence that can result in an on-the-spot fine of €150, or a maximum fine of €3,000 if you are convicted in the District Court. Local authority litter wardens and the Gardaí can issue on-the-spot fines.

If you continue littering after conviction, you may be fined up to €600 a day.
    If you are convicted of a litter offence, you may also have to pay the local authority’s legal costs.

The Protection of the Environment Act 2003 introduced on-the-spot fines of up to €130,000 for causing environmental pollution, and €10,000 per day thereafter for continuing offences.

Should we laugh or cry? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,151 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I started the young lad playing rugby last year, went down to watch them train and you'd see the usual Ross o Carroll Kelly lookalikes standing there drinking coffee . The coach came over to them and told them that the club isn't a dump and to bring their cups to the bin instead of leaving them on the sidelines as they did last week. I'd like to see undercover litter wardens to out and fine people for throwing rubbish on the ground .

But I thought everything was blamed on Teenagers?

Or are people just cranky again and blaming teens?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

pjohnson wrote: »
    But I thought everything was blamed on Teenagers?

Or are people just
    cranky again and blaming teens?

In fairness you just have to look at the morons invading the beaches now in their droves. They don't give a sh!t really. So much for our Education system and ecological messages. Nah. rebels always.

I do realise that many parents of young babies also leave their nappies and more for our delight too. Honestly what the actual F.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

1 sheep2 wrote: »
    Pity the fool who takes that bet!

I don't want to make this into a class thing, but your ire is greatly misdirected if you think the problem group is middle class parents.

Why do middle class people not litter?? I live in what you'd call a middle class area , and most of the litter that throw on the ground would be from middle class people , would they throw it in there own estates , no they don't , but do they throw bottles of water, coffee and bags of Pooh in bushes along the river or canal when no one's looking , yes most definitely they do

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

Littering is disgusting. I often walk to local country roads, and the ditches are full of rubbish - usually cans, wrappers etc. It must be from people throwing it out their car window.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

As a sign on my favourite beach in Ireland in Kilkee co Clare reads ‘leave only your footprints behind ‘

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Being a regular now to St. Anne's, the littering wasn't really therein April. Come May though - and possibly also with the 2km moving to 5km as well as the weather - it surged to disgusting levels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

I wholly agree with the content of your post but can’t get over my irritation at your use of “thrash” instead of “trash” in the title. Why can’t Irish people differentiate between the two? Also the use of an Americanism like trash in the first place bothers me separately.

Yes, I’m irritable in general.
    Sesame Street influence

Advertisement