Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Spring 2020 - General Discussion

Comments

feck this wind - just go away!

All my young plants bending over, a few actually blown out of the soil or broken at the base. Young trees taking a right bashing too, huge leaf loss. Hate wind at this time of the year, hard on nature.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Supercell wrote: »
    Cooler for the west, these endless easterlys haven't been warm on the east coast, bring back the westerlies in my back garden!

with no easterlies for the next while, the coming week should be warmer overall for the east. Even today is milder than many of the day's over recent weeks due to the lack of that easterly wind. However I'd prefer a cool but dry easterly wind over today's muck and stormy gales. Very hard to win at this time of the year, the easterly wind is nice and dry but can be very chilly and the westerly is a warmer wind but has all the unsettled conditions to go with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

so tired of this bad weather :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Omg the wind is fierce. I can cope with intermittent showers but not thr wind. Kids havent went outside at all today.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭RedPeppers

Gonzo wrote: »
    could be a bit more showery next Thursday as we start to see a cooling trend as we head towards June. Overall we stay under the influence of ridging but we are very close to those cool Atlantic systems which may impact us slightly at times.

So for us looking for dry days next week in the west is there any good news? Just a couple of days ago met eireann had us down for a dry and settled early start to the week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

I hear you, wind is really annoying this time of year
    feck this wind - just go away!

All my young plants bending over, a few actually blown out of the soil or broken at the base. Young trees taking a right bashing too, huge leaf loss. Hate wind at this time of the year, hard on nature.

Forecast looks very nice for next week if you are in the east, west not looking so good for now
    RedPeppers wrote: »
    So for us looking for dry days next week in the west is there any good news? Just a couple of days ago met eireann had us down for a dry and settled early start to the week

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Heavy showers no in cork city. Had some bail.mixrd into the latest one, heavy drops.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

RedPeppers wrote: »

western areas could have rain or showers on Monday but should be dry Tuesday and Wednesday. The unsettled conditions for Thursday may not happen till Friday, so Thursday could be a mainly dry day too. Next weekend could become unsettled again in western areas but that is along way off and it could end up being a dry weekend, would need a few more days to see about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Carol25

The wind is much stronger than I expected today, the trampoline net did come down! Sustained winds approx 50km/h around 3pm, and gusts to 91km/h according to Met Eireann. Our garden is a bit of a mess with leaves from the Ash Trees. This picture is from the calm before the storm :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Carol25 wrote: »
    The wind is much stronger than I expected today, the trampoline net did come down! Sustained winds approx 50km/h around 3pm, and gusts to 91km/h according to Met Eireann. Our garden is a bit of a mess with leaves from the Ash Trees. This picture is from the calm before the storm :)
    Dont forget the picture after the storm ;)

Blue skies, amazing fluffy white clouds, rainbows..........followed by sideways rain.
    Meath

Kutebride wrote: »
    Blue skies, amazing fluffy white clouds, rainbows..........followed by sideways rain.
    Meath

similar here at Dunshaughlin. We've had some very nice spells of decent sunshine between the showers but we've had 2 very heavy showers and a few short ones. If it wasn't for the showers and gusty winds today would have been a lovely day, as there has been plenty of sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭appledrop

I know its May but today reminds me of April Showers.

Lovely + sunny one minute then lashing rain the next. Looking out out front window right know its looks lovely × sunny but the rain is pelting off the back window.

Wind was ferocious today. First time I had to drive for work + wasnt a good day to get back into it! Heart was in my mouth a number of times on motorway with very dodgy weaving trucks in that wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,697 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Even though it was warm enough and some nice blue skies, the howling wind put me off going jogging or doing anything today really. I forgot how much I detest blustery crap weather like this!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,433 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Looks like summer may be on the way, and the best time of year for it too :cool:

ECM1-120.GIF?22-0

Hopefully we can lock this high pressure in for a while, not certain, it could hang around or break down quickly but that's a nice starting point.

Looks like summer may be on the way, and the best time of year for it too :cool:

Hopefully we can lock this high pressure in for a while, not certain, it could hang around or break down quickly but that's a nice starting point.

the latest GFS is an upgrade as well for high pressure to dominate into the first week of June, I really hope it's right.

If todays ECM and GFS are correct there won't be much rain over the next 14 days with eastern areas in particular looking very good. If we can park the high over us for the majority of the next few weeks then there should be very little annoying blips from the Atlantic.

GFSOPEU12_276_1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Heavy showers all evening in cork city, pelting down now again currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

3 weeks of great weather we had. Just seen gonzos post in FI thread. I'll trade toilet roll for bottled water if anyone's interested

• Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

From met eireann

The strongest mean wind speed and wind gust for the month of May was recorded on this day back in 2011 at our weather stations in Malin Head, Co. Donegal and Belmullet Co.MayoThe recorded values were

Mean Wind Speed: 55kt or 102km/h

On the same day, the strongest wind gust for the month of May was recorded at our weather station in Belmullet, Co. Mayo.

The recorded value was 78kt or 145km/h.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Remember that day in 2011 well, it was the day of my last ever college exam and the lights went out!

The same event that lead to all the leaves being wind burned for the whole summer as onieric mentioned

Today is the end of the brief blip of muck for many. Tomorrow will be much improved across the country with temperatures possibly reaching 20 or 21C in places and some nice sunshine. Monday will be an east/west split with some rain and cooler conditions in western areas while the east will be dry, fairly warm and sunny at times. From Tuesday it looks mostly dry and relatively warm across the country, could be a bit cloudy in the northern half of the country on Tuesday. Wednesday to next weekend included look very good, high pressure over the country and temperatures generally 17 to 22C. It certainly won't be a heatwave but it will be extremely pleasant just about everywhere.

not a nice day in Meath, showers are lighter but much more frequent than yesterday, lots of gusty squalls of mist and drizzle, temperatures down on yesterday as well, currently a chilly 13C. Fire will be lit this evening. Probably the poorest day we've had here since May 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,722 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I was hoping for a lot more rain, this "bad" weather, spell has been too dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭giveitholly

RobertKK wrote: »

Yeah and the wind yesterday and today between the few showers has nearly dried up whatever rain we did get

• Registered Users Posts: 13,219 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

RobertKK wrote: »

Think it was late June before water pressure was reduced in 2018.

It's a lot drier, earlier this year.

We are a month ahead in conditions and no real heat yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭esposito

Gonzo wrote: »
    not a nice day in Meath, showers are lighter but much more frequent than yesterday, lots of gusty squalls of mist and drizzle, temperatures down on yesterday as well, currently a chilly 13C. Fire will be lit this evening. Probably the poorest day we've had here since May 1st.

Yesterday and today have reminded me how much I hate strong Atlantic winds. I think it’s actually worse when we have these cool blustery days in the summer. Continental air come at us please!

Blustery day in Dublin. Dry and mild but the wind would put you off going out. Good forecast at least

The wind just wont ease.
    Clothes dry on line in no time lol
    Gigantic tree down on my morning walk on the ramparts this morning.
    Meath

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Tuam co galway 23/05/20 16.44 temp 13°C
    qhfpyGG.jpg

Advertisement