Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

rent allowance question

Options
  • 06-01-2008 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭

i am currently trying to rent 2 Rooms in my House.
    a Girl i know has asked me would i rent the 2 rooms to her and her young baby and she would qualify for rent allowance.
    is this possible?i always thought you had to be renting the whole house to qualify for rent allowance.can you still get it if you are only renting rooms in the house?
    obviously this girl thinks she can seeing as she's made the enquiry but i have my doubts...
    does anyone know the correct situation?
    thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seahorse

ooter wrote: »
    i am currently trying to rent 2 Rooms in my House.
    a Girl i know has asked me would i rent the 2 rooms to her and her young baby and she would qualify for rent allowance.
    is this possible?i always thought you had to be renting the whole house to qualify for rent allowance.can you still get it if you are only renting rooms in the house?
    obviously this girl thinks she can seeing as she's made the enquiry but i have my doubts...
    does anyone know the correct situation?
    thanks in advance.

I've no idea if that's allowed, but if you wanted to know for sure the community welfare officer at your local health centre would be able to tell you.

What were you intending to charge for the two rooms? That would also have a bearing on the situation as there's a limit to the amount of rent the local area health board will supplement. The last I heard of it the maximum rent for a mother of one was 950.00 per month and the local area health board would pay most of that.

Personally I don't know if I'd be interested in sharing my home with someone else's baby, (but I feel kind of bad about saying that because things are tough enough for single mothers; still though, it's the truth!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭ooter

seahorse wrote: »
    I've no idea if that's allowed, but if you wanted to know for sure the community welfare officer at your local health centre would be able to tell you.

What were you intending to charge for the two rooms? That would also have a bearing on the situation as there's a limit to the amount of rent the local area health board will supplement. The last I heard of it the maximum rent for a mother of one was 950.00 per month and the local area health board would pay most of that.

Personally I don't know if I'd be interested in sharing my home with someone else's baby, (but I feel kind of bad about saying that because things are tough enough for single mothers; still though, it's the truth!)

the Maximum Rent i can Charge for the Year on the Rent a Room Scheme is 10,000 Euro so that works out at 833 Euro/Month.that's less than 950 Euro so if i can Rent to Her it should Work out well.
    i'll make further enquiries tomorrow.
    cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

ooter wrote: »
    the Maximum Rent i can Charge for the Year on the Rent a Room Scheme is 10,000 Euro so that works out at 833 Euro/Month.that's less than 950 Euro so if i can Rent to Her it should Work out well.
    i'll make further enquiries tomorrow.
    cheers

your information is a few years out of date - last time I looked at that was two years ago the max you could get would be slightly over 14,00 which was to include bills. I think that at the start of the crisis it was suggested that HaP might be extended to include rent a room schemes - But I don’t know if that has actually been implemented or if it has been but only for a stipulated length of time. Personally I would be very loth like the other poster to move a mother and baby in - apart from the noise and huge disruption and huge extra costs of having the heat on 20 hours a day ‘for the baby’, there is the issue of ongoing babysitting and childminding needs and her other half - partner/ dysfunctional relationship demanding rights. Plus if she decides not to pay or becomes noncompliant with her social welfare requirements you you will have a squatter in your house and never get rid of her BECAUSE she has the baby. And thats before she starts the ‘ but I signed up for a school using this address’ argument in 2 or 3 years time when you want rid of her and she is refusing to go. I’d run a mile. Say sorry, no. If you need the rent rent to a single working person.

Plus it is not worthwhile renting two rooms out to her - it sets your rent threshold too low to increase it again should you want or need to rent out to another person in the future when they increase the tax allowance for home owner renters. It also sounds nice and cosy but you will find you are in the minority in your own home when she has two bedrooms, full use of the kitchen and living rooms and garden and the hallway cluttered with prams and her partner or parents over every other day and hanging out in your house. No doubt she will be at home all day every day running up the gas and electricity bills and will be up and down half the night every night with a feeding/crying baby. More interrupted sleep and disruption. Where is her family, her parents, her babys father or her friends in this and why have they all walked away? And where has she been living until now that she cannot continue to live there still?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

your information is a few years out of date -

Your reply is a few years out of date.
    This is a 12 year old thread.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

ZOMBIE ALERT - RUNNNNNN

Thread Closed.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement