Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mortgaging a derelict house

• 15-04-2020 1:15am

Folks, I wasn't sure if this belonged here or in the banking forum, but I'm wondering if anyone can throw any advice out to me here.

I know that when it comes to buying an old wreck, the 'cash is king' saying is very much true. However, I'm wondering is there any such thing as getting a mortgage or secured loan (ie; a reduced interest rate VS a normal unsecured loan) on property that may not be considered 'habitable'?

I've been looking at old properties that are in tatters for a long time now. I currently owe money on my current house and the circumstances surrounding my purchasing of that house make it tricky to re-mortgage it or put it up as collateral against a new loan, which complicates things, obviously.

Has anyone approached a bank about this and gotten anywhere with it beyond applying for a normal personal loan (with the nearly 7% interest I can see from BOI). I presume there must be some level of offering a secured loan on a property, as the property, despite it's poor condition, is still worth something and could be sold should I decide to not bother repaying the loan?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

In general- you can only get a residential mortgage on a property if the property is considered to be 'habitable'.
    If you can't even decide whether or not to repay the loan- I'd seriously question why you're even considering buying the derelict property.
    7% interest on a personal loan- in general- would not be a deal breaker for someone taking a punt such as you're outlining- providing the outlay is something you can afford to loose if it goes south, which it very well might do.

The era of people getting a deal on a 'doer-upper', putting a bit of time and money into it, and flipping it- was 15 years ago. Up until recently it was clear that you would not get back any investment you might put into a derelict property through an increase in its price- there were a lot of people willing to buy completely unsuitable property purely to get out of the rental market.

In the current context- I'd seriously question a proposal such as yours- unless there is something in the transaction that you haven't conveyed that seriously sweetens the pot from your perspective.

EBS will or a did offer these type of mortgages.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

EBS will or a did offer these type of mortgages.

No reason you couldn't get a self build mortgage on one of these also from another source

If you can't even decide whether or not to repay the loan- I'd seriously question why you're even considering buying the derelict property.

Just for clarity on this, I meant from a bank's perspective. If I decide 'feck you, I'm not paying' they have something they can take. Obviously from my perspective I'd be intending to complete the loan and wholly own the property.
    7% interest on a personal loan- in general- would not be a deal breaker for someone taking a punt such as you're outlining- providing the outlay is something you can afford to loose if it goes south, which it very well might do.

The era of people getting a deal on a 'doer-upper', putting a bit of time and money into it, and flipping it- was 15 years ago. Up until recently it was clear that you would not get back any investment you might put into a derelict property through an increase in its price- there were a lot of people willing to buy completely unsuitable property purely to get out of the rental market.

In the current context- I'd seriously question a proposal such as yours- unless there is something in the transaction that you haven't conveyed that seriously sweetens the pot from your perspective.

7% Seems high when you take into consideration the amount involved. For argument sake, if you got a loan of 50k, at 7% your cost to borrow is about €15k (over 8 years). Dunno, just seems a tad high to me, personally. Especially if you consider a "normal" mortgage can be had for less than 3% these days, with cashback offers, etc aswell.

Personally, for me it's not a 'flip it' idea; the plan is to buy somewhere rural and quiet, take on the DIY element as best I can, and over a period of a few years, move there and make it my primary residence.

It's just realistically financing the purchase of it that is tricky for me. I make about 35k per year, and owe about 55k on my current property (market value of about 170k). However, current property purchase was from a council, so it can't be used as collateral against another house.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

J
    It's just realistically financing the purchase of it that is tricky for me. I make about 35k per year, and owe about 55k on my current property (market value of about 170k). However, current property purchase was from a council, so it can't be used as collateral against another house.

Don't try running until you can walk!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

In general- you can only get a residential mortgage on a property if the property is considered to be 'habitable'.

+100 on this. Ireland is odd in that prices for a wreck vs a done up property don't vary much. I've seen fully gutted fire damaged houses making 85% of the habitable one in the same terrace.

Advertisement