Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Returning deposit during Covid crisis

• 13-04-2020 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi,

If a tenant breaks a lease and without giving the required notice (a few days instead of a month) should the deposit or a portion of it be forfeit by the tenant. The apartment is still vacant a month after the tenant left.

The tenant left the place in good condition. What do people this 100% refund, 50% or 0?

Thoughts
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

You have to give it back but can keep some for genuine expenses such as cleaning by pros to get back in order.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Reasons why a security deposit may be withheld

--/snip/--

If a tenant provides insufficient notice of their termination of the tenancy, or they terminate a fixed term tenancy before the end of the agreed term.
    Source: https://onestopshop.rtb.ie/beginning-a-tenancy/deposits/

I understand there's an expectation that a landlord will try and mitigate the loss, e.g. re-letting the property asap. Not an easy thing to do in the current situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

If you haven’t been able to re-let the place then keep the portion of the depot to make up for the notice period not given, return the rest.

So if they gave 10% of the notice period return 10% of the deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,982 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

You have to give it back but can keep some for genuine expenses such as cleaning by pros to get back in order.

Are you sure about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭dennyk

You can deduct from the deposit for lack of statutory notice. I don't know that there's a specific amount you can withhold, but I'd guess that an amount equal to the rent that would have been due from the time the tenant left and stopped paying rent until the time their statutory notice period or fixed term lease would have ended or the time you re-let the property, whichever is shorter, would probably be considered reasonable. If they quit paying rent and moved out, say, a couple days early, or if you had the place re-let less than a week after their early departure, I doubt the RTB would look kindly on you withholding the entire deposit, but if they left over a month early and you were legitimately unable to re-let the property during that month (which would usually a laughable notion, but not so much in the current situation, of course), then you might be justified in withholding their entire deposit (assuming it's equal to one month's rent).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Dav010 wrote: »
    Are you sure about that?

Better then over hold and get nothing....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,982 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Better then over hold and get nothing....

The tenant is gone, more than a month ago. Insufficient notice is one of the reasons a deposit can be retained, the op does not “have to” give it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭happydude742

If the place is in reasonably good condition with no breakages I'm not sure you can/should do this.

Cleaners are a deductible on the annual tax bill. Not really tenants' issue (once place is returned reasonably okay)

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭hobie21

The lease specifically states that if the lease is prematurely cancelled and/or the proper months notice has not been given then the deposit is 100% forfeit.

Regardless, the point is moot as I returned the deposit in full just now (as I always do)

But I do think that you are wrong punisher.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

There was an update to the law pretty recently, you can keep the deposit to cover rent arrears.

It used to be only for damage, which is why you will still see it mentioned. But if they took off and left you €800 short in the rent you can use the deposit to cover it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement