Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best golf club custom fitter (Limerick area)

• 23-08-2011 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

As can be seen from the title I am looking for the best place to get fitted for golf clubs in the limerick area.

I would like to try get fitted for Irons and possibly woods.

I have had some mixed infrormation to date with some people telling me im taylormade 2.0 irons standard lie and regular flex, with others telling me I am 1degree flat and I should get S300 stiff shafts.

With that much ambiguity about my set-up I want to be sure I get correctly fitted.

The Mizuno JPX 800 irons interest me too after reading about them here and doing some research on them

PS: I had thought about putting this in the regional area, but felt I would get a more experienced answer here.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭5989

not a whole lot of choice- you might have to travel. I don't know if Uni Golf in C'Troy do custom fitting. Might just be lessons and the putting course. Think ProGolf in Raheen is closed.

If you're serious about it Foregolf in Naas is you're best bet. New Motorway would have you up in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 truebluechippy

like what the other poster has said.To get fitted head to foregolf 1hr 45mins from limerick as im from limerick to.they are the best fitter and club makers around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

Thanks guys,

Just read the 160+ posts in the foregolf thread... Interesting stuff there and more positives then negatives.

My only concerns are prices over standard. Sent them a mail so hopefully I will get the right answers..

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Aesop

Options AFAIK for custom fitting in Limerick.

Donal McSweeney in Unigolf in Castletroy
    Tom Murphy Castletroy Shopping centre
    Nevada Bobs (in the Elvery's store near the Parkway)

I went to foregolf so I'm afraid I can't comment on any of the guys above. I know in general from his shop prices, Tom is pretty expensive so I don't think Foregolf would be any more expensive. On the foregolf experience I would say the downside is

1) You don't get a printout of all the data acquired during your fitting which is something that you pay for separate to the cost of the clubs.
    2) Foregolf only carry the very latest models from each club maker so there is no slightly older (cheaper) models you can try out (e.g. you can't get mx-200 mizuno irons or one of the older model drivers if you prefer smaller headed drivers).
    3) There are cheaper ways of buying clubs out there (particularly for high handicappers (>18) who in my view are not going to see the benefit of paying more).

Pluses for me were
    1) Foregolf are one of the best at what they do and they are genuinely interested in making sure you get the right clubs
    2) Because the fitting cost is separate from the cost of purchasing clubs there is no pressure on you to buy stuff you don't need.

Actually went about looking at all 3.
    1. Donal McSweeney in Unigolf in Castletroy.Tried ringing this guy 3 times and left 2 voice mails on his mobile, got zero response.
    2. Tom Murphy Castletroy Shopping centre. Found this guy a little bit expensive alright although nice to deal with. Didn't believe he was trying to sell me what he had in the shop and felt he knew what he was talking abt too.
    3. Nevada Bobs (in the Elvery's store near the Parkway). This place was the cheapest for clubs but as far as getting fitted, forget it. Was told exactly what I needed was what was on the shelve. Told I would be waiting months for my custom clubs. I grip the club at the very top of the club and was told this was completely normal when I know its not. Got him to put a sticker on bottom of an iron to see my lie and I was told it was standard. i could see it was flat and nearer the shaft.
    The crux of it all is I'm booked into foregolf for next month....:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭cackhanded

Nevada Bobs (in the Elvery's store near the Parkway). This place was the cheapest for clubs but as far as getting fitted, forget it. Was told exactly what I needed was what was on the shelve. Told I would be waiting months for my custom clubs. I grip the club at the very top of the club and was told this was completely normal when I know its not. Got him to put a sticker on bottom of an iron to see my lie and I was told it was standard. i could see it was flat and nearer the shaft.
    The crux of it all is I'm booked into foregolf for next month....:)

Amazed at the attitude you got from them TBH - Callaway have a custom fitting stand (free AFAIK) at Rathbane GC in the morning which is being run in conjunction with Nevada Bobs. Also, a couple of months back they did the same with Cobra and the fella who runs Nevada Bobs was practically begging me to go up to them for a fitting (I had to shoot off so couldn't do it).

cackhanded wrote: »
    Amazed at the attitude you got from them TBH - Callaway have a custom fitting stand (free AFAIK) at Rathbane GC in the morning which is being run in conjunction with Nevada Bobs. Also, a couple of months back they did the same with Cobra and the fella who runs Nevada Bobs was practically begging me to go up to them for a fitting (I had to shoot off so couldn't do it).

Dont get me wrong, he was a nice fella. Just felt he either didn't respect the knowledge I might or might not of had, or was a true salesman at heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭opinionated3

cackhanded wrote: »

Dont get me wrong, he was a nice fella. Just felt he either didn't respect the knowledge I might or might not of had, or was a true salesman at heart.
    Apologies for ressurecting an old thread but how did you get on at foregolf? Thinking if purchasing new clubs in january and was thinking of going down the custom fitted route. Did you find it worthwhile? Are you seeing big game improvements? How were they on pricing....clubs and custom fitting? Would appreciate any info/help

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭dines08

Apologies for ressurecting an old thread but how did you get on at foregolf? Thinking if purchasing new clubs in january and was thinking of going down the custom fitted route. Did you find it worthwhile? Are you seeing big game improvements? How were they on pricing....clubs and custom fitting? Would appreciate any info/help

I'm in Limerick myself and after exhausting all avenues for fitting locally i am booked into Foregolf on the 10th of December. There just isn't the same quality of fitting available in limerick. I'll let you know how I get on

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭acejeff

opinionated - I got fitted with foregolf about 6 weeks ago so I just thought I'd give you some feedback from my experience. Incredibly friendly, knowledgeable and informative (some cynics on other posts say that this is good business or sales technique, I see it as enthusiasm for what they do and yes indeed they are a business at the end of the day so offering friendly customer service is essential and quite frankly would these people prefer if they were aloof, cold and arrogant!? Sorry I digress!!). I’m a 5 handicap by the way with a real passion for the game and a decent understanding (IMHO!!)
    Bucket of balls to warm up first, then over to the truck for my session with Dave. Spoke a bit about why I was looking to change, what I was looking for in terms of performance (which for me was to get a more piercing ball flight with my irons instead of ballooning) and had I any particular clubs in mind. One of the best things about them is they are not brand loyal. This was the main reason I didn’t go to my pro as I know he would have pushed Callaways or Nike. Dave was really knowledgeable and after a few shots he was really able to zone in on my requirement. As we started to try different head/shaft combinations he was all the time informing me of what he was trying to achieve what results he expected and where he thought it might benefit. For the irons he recommended a kbs tour90 stiff shaft designed to launch mid/high but with a lower spin rate (the reason my old irons were ballooning was due to my high spin rate as I was actually launching quite low). I had informed him that I was happy with my 3wood and hybrid (both ping g10s with prelaunch red stiff shaft) and he reckoned that I was correct that they were a good match for me. Nonetheless he still went through the same check, confirmed that they were in fact a good match, took notes for future reference but said that what he would be recommending was basically the same as what I was using, in other words not trying to push a sale I didn’t need or require. Same with the driver (Ping g5) he even told me he reckoned it was still the best driver ping have made and the three preceding versions were not as good! Said that a change was not critical, however I informed him that my weak shot with it was getting a bit quick and hitting a quick hook now and again. Set about looking to offset with a stiffer shaft, more loft in the Taylormade superfast which is also slightly fade bias due to a weight in the toe end of the head.
    I was with Dave in the truck for anhour and a half, never felt rushed, he answered any questions I had and didn’t try push either a sale I didn’t need or a brand I didn’t want. An absolutely brilliant experience. I couldn’t recommend it any higher.
    Went in had a cup of coffee and spoke further with Derek about placing my order. Ordered Titleist CB/MB combo (2,4-6 CB & 7-P MB) with KBS Tour90 stiff shaft, Cleveland CG15dsg wedges 52 56 & 60, and Taylormade Burner Superfast Fujikura Speeder 757 stiff shaft. They say to allow two weeks for the build yet I got the phone call to say mine were ready one week later.
    The moment I struck the irons I knew they were spot on, like a good fitting pair of jeans you know in an instant. Exactly the ball flight I was looking for, ball just keeps penetrating and holds its line in a crosswind. The driver has taken a bit more getting used to (this is due to the fact that it was such a different setup from what I had previously) however in about my 4th round with it something clicked I got the feeling for it and started trusting and releasing it. Nailing it now, and it has gone a long way to eliminating my previous “bad shot” with the driver. This is where I again have to compliment them on their after sale service. I contacted Dave after a few rounds with feedback and, in relation to the driver, he gave me a few pointers, told me to bear with it for a while but that if it still wasn’t working for me in a while that he would bring me back up to see what they could do.
    You will pay a bit more than you would to buy off the shelf or from most local pros however I think it is well worth it. After all you get what you pay for. Top notch, these guys know what they are doing, they have been trusted by many top pros and won the world club maker of the year award for good reason. Highly recommended. Sorry if I went on a bit long! Anything else you want to know just reply and I’d be happy to answer. I know myself it’s an investment so advice from other golfers is very helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭golfnut1

acejeff wrote: »
    opinionated - I got fitted with foregolf about 6 weeks ago so I just thought I'd give you some feedback from my experience. Incredibly friendly, knowledgeable and informative (some cynics on other posts say that this is good business or sales technique, I see it as enthusiasm for what they do and yes indeed they are a business at the end of the day so offering friendly customer service is essential and quite frankly would these people prefer if they were aloof, cold and arrogant!? Sorry I digress!!). I’m a 5 handicap by the way with a real passion for the game and a decent understanding (IMHO!!)
    Bucket of balls to warm up first, then over to the truck for my session with Dave. Spoke a bit about why I was looking to change, what I was looking for in terms of performance (which for me was to get a more piercing ball flight with my irons instead of ballooning) and had I any particular clubs in mind. One of the best things about them is they are not brand loyal. This was the main reason I didn’t go to my pro as I know he would have pushed Callaways or Nike. Dave was really knowledgeable and after a few shots he was really able to zone in on my requirement. As we started to try different head/shaft combinations he was all the time informing me of what he was trying to achieve what results he expected and where he thought it might benefit. For the irons he recommended a kbs tour90 stiff shaft designed to launch mid/high but with a lower spin rate (the reason my old irons were ballooning was due to my high spin rate as I was actually launching quite low). I had informed him that I was happy with my 3wood and hybrid (both ping g10s with prelaunch red stiff shaft) and he reckoned that I was correct that they were a good match for me. Nonetheless he still went through the same check, confirmed that they were in fact a good match, took notes for future reference but said that what he would be recommending was basically the same as what I was using, in other words not trying to push a sale I didn’t need or require. Same with the driver (Ping g5) he even told me he reckoned it was still the best driver ping have made and the three preceding versions were not as good! Said that a change was not critical, however I informed him that my weak shot with it was getting a bit quick and hitting a quick hook now and again. Set about looking to offset with a stiffer shaft, more loft in the Taylormade superfast which is also slightly fade bias due to a weight in the toe end of the head.
    I was with Dave in the truck for anhour and a half, never felt rushed, he answered any questions I had and didn’t try push either a sale I didn’t need or a brand I didn’t want. An absolutely brilliant experience. I couldn’t recommend it any higher.
    Went in had a cup of coffee and spoke further with Derek about placing my order. Ordered Titleist CB/MB combo (2,4-6 CB & 7-P MB) with KBS Tour90 stiff shaft, Cleveland CG15dsg wedges 52 56 & 60, and Taylormade Burner Superfast Fujikura Speeder 757 stiff shaft. They say to allow two weeks for the build yet I got the phone call to say mine were ready one week later.
    The moment I struck the irons I knew they were spot on, like a good fitting pair of jeans you know in an instant. Exactly the ball flight I was looking for, ball just keeps penetrating and holds its line in a crosswind. The driver has taken a bit more getting used to (this is due to the fact that it was such a different setup from what I had previously) however in about my 4th round with it something clicked I got the feeling for it and started trusting and releasing it. Nailing it now, and it has gone a long way to eliminating my previous “bad shot” with the driver. This is where I again have to compliment them on their after sale service. I contacted Dave after a few rounds with feedback and, in relation to the driver, he gave me a few pointers, told me to bear with it for a while but that if it still wasn’t working for me in a while that he would bring me back up to see what they could do.
    You will pay a bit more than you would to buy off the shelf or from most local pros however I think it is well worth it. After all you get what you pay for. Top notch, these guys know what they are doing, they have been trusted by many top pros and won the world club maker of the year award for good reason. Highly recommended. Sorry if I went on a bit long! Anything else you want to know just reply and I’d be happy to answer. I know myself it’s an investment so advice from other golfers is very helpful.

What was the damage?

Driver- Taylormade Burner Superfast 10.5 Fujikura 757 Stiff shaft
    Irons- Titleist CB 2 & 4-6, MB 7-P, KBS Tour90 Stiff shafts (8 irons)
    Wedges- Cleveland CG15 DSG 52, 56, & 60 Dynamic Gold Spinner shafts

all in €1600.

Bear in mind that a bog standard set of 7 Titleist irons (4-P) off the shelf is €800

Driver- Taylormade Burner Superfast 10.5 Fujikura 757 Stiff shaft
    Irons- Titleist CB 2 & 4-6, MB 7-P, KBS Tour90 Stiff shafts (8 irons)
    Wedges- Cleveland CG15 DSG 52, 56, & 60 Dynamic Gold Spinner shafts

all in €1600.

Bear in mind that a bog standard set of 7 Titleist irons (4-P) off the shelf is €800

Wow ffs. I'm glad your happy with them and hope they last you a long time.

golfnut1 wrote: »

Let's just say I won't be changing for a good few years!!

Sorry, cant help you there im afraid.
    In the end i cancelled the appointment and went for lessons instead. It was very tempting but i know I did the right thing. Will go to him in the summer

Let's just say I won't be changing for a good few years!!
    Thanks for the very informative reply buddy. I am very happy with my woods so I am looking at it from an iron fitting point of view. I only ever got as low as 15 handicap so do you think it would be a big advantage to get this done? I was considering the new taylormade burner irons off the shelf but would be open to paying these guys a visit if I knew it would help me bring down my handicap and be more consistent. For example the clubs are retaking around the 500 euro mark. How much extra for this service do you reckon?

You are welcome, no problem at all, I know it's a big investment so all advice can come in handy. I reckon for the set of irons you will pay an extra €100-150 altogether including the fitting. So it's up to you whether to make that investment. Personally I think it's worth it. Most importantly they will fit you with the right shaft for your swing. And not just swing speed as many club fitters will do. 3 major considerations for shafts - swing speed, trajectory, spin rate. Hand built and calibrated so that the swing weight is consistent throughout the set, in other words the weight and feeling in your hands consistent through the set. They are not brand loyal so advice on component shafts and heads will be impartial.

If you have a good passion for the game and a wish to improve I think it really is worth the visit. As they say build the clubs to suit the swing rather than adjusting your swing to suit the clubs. During the session as they hone in on your characteristics and give you a club to suit I guarantee you will be hitting the ball better and with more consistency.

You are welcome, no problem at all, I know it's a big investment so all advice can come in handy. I reckon for the set of irons you will pay an extra €100-150 altogether including the fitting. So it's up to you whether to make that investment. Personally I think it's worth it. Most importantly they will fit you with the right shaft for your swing. And not just swing speed as many club fitters will do. 3 major considerations for shafts - swing speed, trajectory, spin rate. Hand built and calibrated so that the swing weight is consistent throughout the set, in other words the weight and feeling in your hands consistent through the set. They are not brand loyal so advice on component shafts and heads will be impartial.

If you have a good passion for the game and a wish to improve I think it really is worth the visit. As they say build the clubs to suit the swing rather than adjusting your swing to suit the clubs. During the session as they hone in on your characteristics and give you a club to suit I guarantee you will be hitting the ball better and with more consistency.

Any gain in distance?

To be honest I've never had a problem with distance so for me it was about achieving greater consistency. However with my new driver I have definitely gained 8-10 yards. With the irons- more importantly than out and out distance my distances are more consistent, less dispersion in terms of distance and direction between my good ones and bad ones. Also because I have achieved a better ball flight my iron shots are less affected by the wind, the ball penetrates through the wind better. So yeah into the wind I am getting closer to my standard non-wind distance than my old irons which tended to balloon and get caught up in the wind. With an optimal shaft you may gain more distance but more importantly I think you will see a more consistent distance.

Out of interest has anyone on here used p&m golf store in ennis or golfstyle in galway to purchase their clubs and get custom fitted at the same time? How was your experience with them? Presume it is not as detailed as foregolf but might still be worth visiting?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Out of interest has anyone on here used p&m golf store in ennis or golfstyle in galway to purchase their clubs and get custom fitted at the same time? How was your experience with them? Presume it is not as detailed as foregolf but might still be worth visiting?
    I got fitted in The Golf Arena which is in Ennis as well. As you say they are not as big as Foregolf but Ray the guy who owns the place is very nice and has 2 simulators upstairs that you use before buying any clubs.

Has anyone used the simulator in Nevada Bobs in Limerick?

Used it last week looking at irons. Brought in my 8 iron to compare it to irons I had my eye on and it said I was carrying my current 8 iron on average 175 yards!!! (181 max).

I carry my 8 iron in the real world abt 155 average, therefore there was a huge discrepancy in this machine.

Has anyone else experienced this here and is this something they all tend to do to encourage golfers to buy new clubs.

Also what type of machines do they use and are they any good?

I went on a similar simulator (try saying that 5 times quickly!) in Dublin and I was hitting 6 iron 220 and 8 iron 190!! Now I am a good ball striker and have good distance throughout the bag but these are completely unrealistic. When purchasing new clubs I would be sceptical about only hitting thme on a simulator. I think you get better feedback when you can hit them at a range and see for yourself the ball flight, trajectory, speed off the club face, spin etc.. A simulator will never be able to substitute for this.

I went on a similar simulator (try saying that 5 times quickly!) in Dublin and I was hitting 6 iron 220 and 8 iron 190!! Now I am a good ball striker and have good distance throughout the bag but these are completely unrealistic. When purchasing new clubs I would be sceptical about only hitting thme on a simulator. I think you get better feedback when you can hit them at a range and see for yourself the ball flight, trajectory, speed off the club face, spin etc.. A simulator will never be able to substitute for this.

Simulators are a total load of crap.
    The only lauch monitor that works is trackman.
    The technology has been adapted from the military missile guidance system and each unit costs 30k. Think about it no one would spend 30k on a gimic and it's what the pro's use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q31n_DOwLfc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Whyner

As they say build the clubs to suit the swing rather than adjusting your swing to suit the clubs.

Curious, just a few questions as I decided against FG a few months back and went down the lessons route instead.

How long did you have your last irons and what were they, shafts etc.... ?Would be interesting to compare.

What were your scores like with your old clubs? You mentioned they ballooned the ball so did you gain a shot or two before going for the bag overhaul?

What if, 6 months down the road your swing changes slightly and your back to the old ball flight? Hypothetically speaking. I guess I want to know if you tried to fix this issue with a pro first and how that went?

Cheers for the FG info, interesting as always. I had the cash and wanted to go myself but I'm still grooving (great word) my swing and concluded it would be impossible for them to fit a swing "in-progress". It's still on the wish list though but nowhere near the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭U.P.O.

For example the clubs are retaking around the 500 euro mark. How much extra for this service do you reckon?
    You are welcome, no problem at all, I know it's a big investment so all advice can come in handy. I reckon for the set of irons you will pay an extra €100-150 altogether including the fitting.

Just on the price, i dont know if you've actually been to Foregolf Acejeff but thats not my experience at all. The were, on the clubs i was looking at substantially dearer.

The set i was looking at was €570 in places like American Golf including fitting and any custom shaft, length, lie adjustments ie a custom set (i know the fitting isnt anywhere near on the same level but things like the Mizuno Shaft Optimiser they have does close the gap a little) Anyway, the same set from Foregolf was approx €950 including fitting (approx as the prices depend on shaft).

I didnt go to Foregolf in the end. Im sure i will one day but for where i am right now i couldnt justify paying nearly twice the price for the irons. Im sure they do great work though and i've heard loads of glowing reports so this isnt a knock on them just giving some information so opiniated can make an informed decision.

U.P.O. wrote: »
    Just on the price, i dont know if you've actually been to Foregolf Acejeff but thats not my experience at all. The were, on the clubs i was looking at substantially dearer.

The set i was looking at was €570 in places like American Golf including fitting and any custom shaft, length, lie adjustments ie a custom set (i know the fitting isnt anywhere near on the same level but things like the Mizuno Shaft Optimiser they have does close the gap a little) Anyway, the same set from Foregolf was approx €950 including fitting (approx as the prices depend on shaft).

I didnt go to Foregolf in the end. Im sure i will one day but for where i am right now i couldnt justify paying nearly twice the price for the irons. Im sure they do great work though and i've heard loads of glowing reports so this isnt a knock on them just giving some information so opiniated can make an informed decision.

I have actually been to foregolf quite recently and I can tell you that the price differential on the Titleist irons I received, hand built with custom fit KBS shafts, from what I would have paid for an off the shelf stock product from somewhere like mcguirks was less than €100. For the 7 irons (4-P) I will leave out the 2-iron as I received a separate quote for that, the price was €840. In Mcguirks this same set of 7 irons off the shelf mass-produced stock purchase (and may I add that I was able to get a CB/MB mix which wouldn’t be available as an off the shelf purchase) are actually quoted at €849, meaning that you would probably bargain them for €800 or slightly less.

The technology has been adapted from the military missile guidance system and each unit costs 30k. Think about it no one would spend 30k on a gimic and it's what the pro's use.

Foregolf dont use a trackman and they are considered the best, no??

Anyone know what make Nevada Bobs use??

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭U.P.O.

I have actually been to foregolf quite recently and I can tell you that the price differential on the Titleist irons I received, hand built with custom fit KBS shafts, from what I would have paid for an off the shelf stock product from somewhere like mcguirks was less than €100. For the 7 irons (4-P) I will leave out the 2-iron as I received a separate quote for that, the price was €840. In Mcguirks this same set of 7 irons off the shelf mass-produced stock purchase (and may I add that I was able to get a CB/MB mix which wouldn’t be available as an off the shelf purchase) are actually quoted at €849, meaning that you would probably bargain them for €800 or slightly less.

Fair enough. Maybe the price differentials differ so depending on brand. I didnt inquire about Titleist. It was only 2-3 weeks ago i spoke to Derek too so the prices i got were recent. If there was only €100-150 difference in the price i definitely would have went but I couldnt justify the price difference i was quoted for the level im at.

• Advertisement

Foregolf dont use a trackman and they are considered the best, no??

Anyone know what make Nevada Bobs use??

Yeah they have a good rep alright.
    They also claim to fit by feel.
    Could be just putting the best possible slant on why they don't need to spend 30k o one.
    Maybe I am just being cynical but if I was paying top dollar for a custom fit I'd want them to have all the latest and best equipment.

Advertisement