Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

16-09-2020, 13:53   #1
Grab All Association

Dr Martin Feeley resignation

Quote:
Dr Feeley (70) stepped down from his post as clinical director of Dublin Midlands Hospital Group on Tuesday with immediate effect.

After his public comments, he came under heavy pressure from HSE management, who told him his position was untenable.

A doctor for more than 45 years and an employee of the health service for 30 years, Dr Feeley says he stands by his comments, but decided to resign so management in his hospital group would not be penalised.
We have no idea whether he’s correct or not, his comments didn’t change anything in regard to restrictions and approach taken. He hasn’t cost lives with his advice.

This is not a thread questioning who is in the right or wrong here, it’s a thread questioning the treatment this doctor has received from the HSE. A doctor who gave 45 years of his life, 30 years in public healthcare being pressured into resigning just because he has an opinion that differs to the HSE.

This be the same HSE caught employing fake doctors or incompetent ones that were struck off in the UK for malpractice.
Advertisement
16-09-2020, 14:23   #2
Slasher

First of all, he resigned - he said so. He was not sacked. It is not possible to sack people in the HSE - well, it's possible, but it would take about a year.

He is allowed to have an opinion. He is not allowed to undermine the HSE's message in a public forum (he is employed by HSE). If i did that, i would be disciplined by my boss, and rightly so. He could have written a letter to the CMO and the CEO expressing his reservations.

Anyway, don't feel too sorry for poor old Martin. He is a consultant vascular surgeon, 70 years old. He will retire on a well-deserved pension.
16-09-2020, 14:38   #3
BattleCorp

He could have told them to go fcuk themselves and stayed in his job. He decided not to do that. More's the pity.

I don't agree with his suggestions by the way, I just don't like people being hounded out of their jobs for having differing opinions.
16-09-2020, 14:50   #4
Metroid diorteM

What did he say?
Thanks from:
16-09-2020, 14:59   #5
Slasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metroid diorteM View Post
What did he say?
https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/l...-flu-1.4354743

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/heal...ctor-1.4352701
Thanks from:
Advertisement
16-09-2020, 15:04   #6
Princess Calla

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleCorp View Post
He could have told them to go fcuk themselves and stayed in his job. He decided not to do that. More's the pity.

I don't agree with his suggestions by the way, I just don't like people being hounded out of their jobs for having differing opinions.
It's not really about having a different opinion though.

It's broadcasting that opinion and undermining your employer.

You do need to tow the company line especially in public.
(2) thanks from:
16-09-2020, 15:07   #7
seamus
Dental Plan!

Send a message via MSN to seamus
His tenure is irrelevant.

His decision to come out and make a statement about Covid off his own bat, as well as making a song and dance about stepping down "so others wouldn't be penalised", tells me that Dr. Feeley obviously thinks very highly of himself and is enjoying all the attention.

My experience of Irish consultant surgeons of his vintage is that they are constructed entirely of pure arrogance.

He made a public statement about an area of medicine outside of his speciality, with no basis in fact and which entirely contradicted the current national and internal data and advice. For any medical professional, that's a disciplinary matter that requires sanction.
Thanks from:
16-09-2020, 15:11   #8
monkeybutter

aah its not a differing of opinion though is it

its bull****, it's flat earther type stuff

It's denying the numbers, over 200k people have died schtateside already and we aren't even in the season when the flu would hit, so if that correlates it would get worse

you can't get herd immunity with 100ks of people all infected at the same time and still keep vulberable groups safe

Lockdowns might prove to not have been the right move, but we avoided becoming Italy or Spain, which people are quick to forget
(2) thanks from:
16-09-2020, 15:12   #9
monkeybutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Calla View Post
It's not really about having a different opinion though.

It's broadcasting that opinion and undermining your employer.

You do need to tow the company line especially in public.

you can have a differing opinion and speak up about it

if its based in some kind of logic
Advertisement
16-09-2020, 15:20   #10
Princess Calla

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeybutter View Post
you can have a differing opinion and speak up about it

if its based in some kind of logic
Yeah but follow the correct procedure /channels.

If you get nowhere you might become a "whistle blower".

You also need hard facts to back up your opinion.

Going straight to press is not how to deal with an issue you have with your employer.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion