Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

16-09-2020, 12:31   #46
ohnonotgmail

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Brood View Post
Well yeah they don't get it the literal very first day they step foot in Ireland, but those listed hurdles are very easily overcome and they know how to overcome them with great success.
hmmm actual facts vs unsubstantiated nonsense. I wonder which i will believe.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
16-09-2020, 12:32   #47
Catmaniac

Mod: Radio, ZTest
Quote:
Originally Posted by murpho999 View Post
So you've never seen the clear waters in the likes of Stephen's Green?

Seriously the stuff people come up with.

As far as I'm concerned my Eastern European travels have been Poland, Lithuania, Prague & Budapest.
Some lovely spots but I found a lot of the people dour, architecture outside city centres to be bleak and you see the same social problems there that you see everywhere else.
Take a walk In the area from O'Connell Street towards Connolly Station. Have not come across anything like it in any other European city centre, east or west for that matter. So much of my own city is an absolute kip with under-educated people visibly deep in the sh1t of addiction, petty & worse crime.
16-09-2020, 12:34   #48
Officer Giggles

I spent a week travelling across Albania. Shockingly poor country but the people couldn't have been nicer. Been to Hungary, Croatia, Montenegro and Slovenia, all lovely places
Thanks from:
16-09-2020, 12:35   #49
The_Brood

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnonotgmail View Post
hmmm actual facts vs unsubstantiated nonsense. I wonder which i will believe.
I have no idea what ax you have to grind, but you should believe reality.
16-09-2020, 12:36   #50
murpho999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catmaniac View Post
Take a walk In the area from O'Connell Street towards Connolly Station. Have not come across anything like it in any other European city centre, east or west for that matter. So much of my own city is an absolute kip with under-educated people visibly deep in the sh1t of addiction, petty & worse crime.
Have you never seen people in Amsterdam. Especially around the back of Central Station.
Parts of Paris are no go areas.

Seriously, you mention one street and just focus on the junkies that you see and people then say that they're dominating the whole street whilst ignoring 80% of normal people walking around about their daily business.

I've had visitors come to visit me from abroad and they've all liked Dublin and felt safe and not one commented on people like you have.
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
16-09-2020, 12:36   #51
ohnonotgmail

Quote:
I have no idea what ax you have to grind, but you should believe reality.
no axe to grind. just responding to nonsense.
16-09-2020, 12:39   #52
silver2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalloweenJack View Post
I taught English in Brno in the Czech Republic back in 2011/2012.

It's a decent-sized city. There's a good amount of IT companies there and there's a good bit of industry. It's not a poor place at all. It's not Prague either, though, where things are more expensive and more exciting. I earned about €600 a month and I never had to worry about not having enough. About half of that went on rent (which many told me was expensive for where I was). It was a comfortable enough life but any time I came home, I noticed the difference. A pint there could be had for €1.20 which doesn't compare to paying between €4 and €5 at the time.

Saving a decent amount of money was the big problem. Whatever you could save didn't go very far as soon as you left. The Czech Republic is one of the more stable Eastern Europe countries. Public transport is pretty good and accomodation in that there is a lot of both, though it is dated. The problem is the money that can be earned for the majority, not that those opportunities don't exist.
Huge changes since 2011/2012.

But even then the relevant price was similar to here. A pink cost you 0.2% of your monthly €600 income. You probably would have had €2400 monthly income for similar job here and a pint cost you 0.2% too. (look up Big Mac index - tells you how many minutes you work for the price of a big mac anywhere in the world.

Czech Republic is roaring ahead. Wages have increased substantially as has quality of life.

as for the OP, people like to travel. We do it ourselves in droves and there are thousands of Irish people in Eastern European countries. We are in the EU, we speak English. Many Eastern europeans want to speak English and therefore look at Ireland as ideal.
Thanks from:
16-09-2020, 12:40   #53
The_Brood

Quote:
My guess is you are neither Eastern European (I am), nor do you know many Eastern Europeans in Ireland, nor do you know the economic realities in Eastern Europe.
Thanks from:
16-09-2020, 12:40   #54
murpho999

Quote:
Well yeah they don't get it the literal very first day they step foot in Ireland, but those listed hurdles are very easily overcome and they know how to overcome them with great success.
This to me is just bar stool stuff that people spout all the time.

You were presented clear proof that immigrants are not entitled to social welfare but you just dismiss it.

Also, you're being very disrespectful to people.
Any European immigrant I have met have come here to work, improve their lives whilst contributing to society.
They're not travelling in hoards to get free money off the state.
Advertisement
16-09-2020, 12:44   #55
ohnonotgmail

Quote:
My guess is you are neither Eastern European (I am), nor do you know many Eastern Europeans in Ireland, nor do you know the economic realities in Eastern Europe.
i know the rules around claiming social welfare.
16-09-2020, 12:46   #56
The_Brood

Quote:
This to me is just bar stool stuff that people spout all the time.

You were presented clear proof that immigrants are not entitled to social welfare but you just dismiss it.

Also, you're being very disrespectful to people.
Any European immigrant I have met have come here to work, improve their lives whilst contributing to society.
They're not travelling in hoards to get free money off the state.
Wow. As an Eastern European I can tell you you have been lied to out of your mind. A select few may fit that description. The vast majority are running away from economic depravity and see it is an absurd paradise to be paid huge money for not working. If you're Irish they obviously won't tell you that, but that is the reality.
16-09-2020, 13:00   #57
Catmaniac

Mod: Radio, ZTest
Quote:
Have you never seen people in Amsterdam. Especially around the back of Central Station.

Seriously, you mention one street and just focus on the junkies that you see and people then say that they're dominating the whole street whilst ignoring 80% of normal people walking around about their daily business.

I've had visitors come to visit me from abroad and they've all liked Dublin and felt safe and not one commented on people like you have.
Amsterdam is not my favourite place. In fact I hate kips of any kind, and unfortunately the 20% of people In a major part of my city *centre* make themselves very loudly known and drown out the 80% of ordinary decent people including their fellow residents. Anyway, I just personally don't have much tolerance for antisocial types, others might enjoy their colourful presence. Enough said by me on that.

So far I have been fortuitously lucky to enjoy peace & harmony in eastern bloc countries. Not that they are perfect, far far from it, they are a diverse array of countries. The ones I have yet to visit are North Macedonia, Kosovo & Romania.
(3) thanks from:
16-09-2020, 13:03   #58
The_Brood

Quote:

You also obviously don't live anywhere near Dublin city center and have no clue what goes on. No clue.

I don't know where you are sitting commenting on all these things but nothing of what you're posting reflects reality.
(2) thanks from:
16-09-2020, 13:16   #59
RobertKK

I have Romanian friends and will visit them when all this virus stuff is over.
Some of the nicest people I have ever come across.
Romania is a country that reminds me of Ireland growing up, they have the emigration, but now they have the higher economic growth (excluding the virus anomaly) the motorways are being built so it is a country in a rapid transformation.
I hope they keep their traditions and culture. It is a Latin country in an area dominated by Slavic
I see is as a major tourist destination in Europe in the coming decades, between the Carpathian mountains, the Danube Delta - ranked as the third most important biopshere on the planet after the Great Barrier Reef and the Galapagos islands and then there is the Black Sea coastline, not to mention all the castles and beautiful Transylvania.
Wages are on the rise but they have the lowest cost of living in the EU.
Many go abroad to make some better money, but their country is a hidden jewel.
What I find is people holding prejudices against the country due to the Roma people who make up 3% of the population.
If people look beyond their prejudices they will discover a great country with people to match.
16-09-2020, 13:39   #60
breezy1985

Quote:
Nonsense indeed. He still hasn't answered why it would benefit "them" to come over here and be on the dole with our high cost of living rather than be at home earning less but with a low cost of living

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion