Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

15-09-2020, 21:30   #1
PTH2009

How bad is Eastern Europe etc

just curious how bad is Eastern Europe if we're getting so much migration too here of all places

Is it over populated and jobs are hard to come by ?
They seem large countries with the same service's as us
Thanks from:
Advertisement
15-09-2020, 21:33   #2
yenom

I found it to be a grand spot for a visit. No loud mouth British in football jerseys causing hassle. They don't put up with that kind of thing.
15-09-2020, 21:36   #3
Nigel Fairservice

The pay in Ireland is higher. An Eastern European friend said to me once that their job back home only covered their living expenses. In Ireland a job can cover your living expenses plus a bit more. Trying to quantify the bit more part is hard as it depends on your job/pay. I'd imagine moving from a lower cost economy in Eastern Europe to Ireland would be a bit of a shock financially speaking due to the cost of living here. As the economies of Eastern Europe continue to develop Ireland will probably lose some of its appeal. I've been to much of Eastern Europe and liked it for the most part. Slovenia was probably my favourite.

Last edited by Nigel Fairservice; 15-09-2020 at 23:40.
15-09-2020, 22:05   #4
biko
Arbiter

Generally great places. I haven't been everywhere but where I've been I have enjoyed visiting.
15-09-2020, 22:49   #5
Your Face

It depends exactly where in Eastern Europe one is talking about.
(5) thanks from:
Advertisement
15-09-2020, 22:51   #6
Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Princess Consuela Bananahammock's Avatar

Generally, the further east you go the lower the standards of employemtn. Czech, Slovakia, Slovenia, Croatia would be grand. Bulgaria, Romania, former Russian states (possibly with the exception of Ukraine - not sure about) would be lower. Belaurs would probably be the worst. Poland and the Baltics - somewhere in the middle (Estonia seems prtty solid though)
Thanks from:
15-09-2020, 22:52   #7
HalloweenJack

I taught English in Brno in the Czech Republic back in 2011/2012.

It's a decent-sized city. There's a good amount of IT companies there and there's a good bit of industry. It's not a poor place at all. It's not Prague either, though, where things are more expensive and more exciting. I earned about €600 a month and I never had to worry about not having enough. About half of that went on rent (which many told me was expensive for where I was). It was a comfortable enough life but any time I came home, I noticed the difference. A pint there could be had for €1.20 which doesn't compare to paying between €4 and €5 at the time.

Saving a decent amount of money was the big problem. Whatever you could save didn't go very far as soon as you left. The Czech Republic is one of the more stable Eastern Europe countries. Public transport is pretty good and accomodation in that there is a lot of both, though it is dated. The problem is the money that can be earned for the majority, not that those opportunities don't exist.
(3) thanks from:
15-09-2020, 23:13   #8
completedit

Just normal, at least in the main cities. You can make good money in Prague(not really eastern Europe-more west than Vienna) and Sofia too, just depends on your sector.
15-09-2020, 23:51   #9
theguzman

A couple years working here in minimum wage jobs will let you build a house back home in Eastern Europe, we tend to get alot of the under-educated working class Eastern Europeans who come here to do the hard graft, wheras a Solicitor in Poland isn't going to be coming here to wash cars or do housekeeping in hotels etc. Its the typical story of immigration everywhere, work abroad, save money for your future and to provide for parents and family.
Advertisement
16-09-2020, 00:16   #10
JupiterKid

I’ve travelled a fair bit around Eastern Europe in my 20s and it has some truly amazing places - Budapest, the old town of Prague, the Dalmatian coast, the Tatra Mountains between Slovakia and Poland, the majesty of St. Petersburg.

It has its good and bad parts, but is highly differentiated and generally is more prosperous the closer to the boundary with Western Europe. Much of what we in Ireland see as “Eastern Europe” - Czechia, Poland, Slovenia, Slovakia and Hungary - is geographically and culturally more Central Europe.
16-09-2020, 00:19   #11
CQD

The women get more beautiful the further east you go..
16-09-2020, 00:25   #12
Richard Hillman

Some of the places are a bit like Ireland in the 90s. They were coming out of economic ruin and things are starting to come along nicely.

I have noticed a lot of people I have become aquanted with over the years have recently returned home to places like Poland, Slovakia, Croatia, Hungary.

I suppose we here in Ireland are at the tipping point of having reduced disposable income year in year out. Whereas life is becoming more comfortable within their homelands.

I have been to a few Iron Curtain Countries. I find them very pleasant places. Very safe, lovely people and good beer. I definitely feel safer there than I would do in places in Germany, Italy and France.
(2) thanks from:
16-09-2020, 10:23   #13
Kylta

Quote:
Originally Posted by CQD View Post
The women get more beautiful the further east you go..
Were dublin, louth or wicklow, better not leave out meath
16-09-2020, 10:25   #14
breezy1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Consuela Bananahammock View Post
Generally, the further east you go the lower the standards of employemtn. Czech, Slovakia, Slovenia, Croatia would be grand. Bulgaria, Romania, former Russian states (possibly with the exception of Ukraine - not sure about) would be lower. Belaurs would probably be the worst. Poland and the Baltics - somewhere in the middle (Estonia seems prtty solid though)
Estonia are after attracting alot of big online companies like TransferWise , Twitter and the online betting companies. I have a fair few English speaking friends doing well over there working in tech support
16-09-2020, 10:32   #15
ancapailldorcha
Order! Order!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTH2009 View Post
just curious how bad is Eastern Europe if we're getting so much migration too here of all places

Is it over populated and jobs are hard to come by ?
They seem large countries with the same service's as us
Poland is the only country I've been to that I actively dislike. Was a horrible place to visit. The rest of them are wonderful and have very interesting histories based on those I've visited.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion