Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

15-09-2020, 21:47   #16
Gregor Samsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snails pace View Post
Did the country go into a form of lockdown during the foot and mouth in 2001 ?
The zoo closed for 6 months, no one was allowed on farms, and offices had a mat soaked with Dettol at the front door.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
15-09-2020, 22:04   #17
Snails pace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor Samsa View Post
The zoo closed for 6 months, no one was allowed on farms, and offices had a mat soaked with Dettol at the front door.
I can remember some of it.
16-09-2020, 02:34   #18
bb1234567

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD3 View Post
The stats on excess deaths in the UK during this crisis were interesting - someone might presume they were the highest (disease related) death figures EVER EVER EVER. Well apparently there were more deaths in January 2000 which coincided with a bad flu outbreak. There was no fuss about that at the time.

And yeah, if there hadn't been a lockdown for Covid the number of deaths in the UK would probably have been worse but nobody can say how much worse.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-52361519
Facts like this get thrown around in threads and just seem to go unchecked..this is just wrong. Excess deaths in 2000 int he UK were high, surprisingly with all ICU units in London filled with flu patients, but excess deaths were still much lower than from COVID this year. Excess deaths in UK 1999/2000 were about 48,0000.https://fullfact.org/health/how-many...-there-winter/

COVID excess deaths in the UK are almost 66,000
https://www.ft.com/content/a2901ce8-...c-cbdf5b386938
16-09-2020, 02:50   #19
tdf7187

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snails pace View Post
Did the country go into a form of lockdown during the foot and mouth in 2001 ?
My recollection is that it was taken very seriously with police checkpoints around a lot more than usual, and footdips everywhere, even in urban areas. But not remotely a lockdown as we had recently.
(2) thanks from:
16-09-2020, 02:52   #20
freshpopcorn

We'd be using Aertel to get the Daily Numbers.
Advertisement
16-09-2020, 03:35   #21
Aglomerado

Quote:
Census 2001 was deferred until 2002.
16-09-2020, 04:09   #22
Overheal
Covfefe Connoisseur

Send a message via ICQ to Overheal Send a message via Skype™ to Overheal
Quote:
I'm lifetime banned from donating blood in the united states over the whole ordeal.
16-09-2020, 04:14   #23
AbusesToilets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overheal View Post
I'm lifetime banned from donating blood in the united states over the whole ordeal.
Same, that was a surprise to learn. That's BSE related, not foot and mouth
16-09-2020, 05:19   #24
Eduard Khil

Bush would have went to war with China
Advertisement
16-09-2020, 05:26   #25
joeguevara

Foot and mouth in 2001 was a good example of understanding what would have happened.bfirstly the disease didn’t infect humans but could be spread by shoes boots etc.

Saint Patrick’s day parades were all cancelled. 6 nations sakes. Parks, forrests play ground all closed. Imports of animals banned. They were quick to implement all required actions for it is probable that it would be similar to what has happened..
16-09-2020, 06:24   #26
Canis Lupus

Wouldn't have had all the facebook disease experts telling us we're sheep. That would have been a plus.
Thanks from:
16-09-2020, 07:46   #27
Hamsterchops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double O Seven View Post
If Covid had happened in the year 2000 ?

I firmly believe that apart from maybe a few hand sanitizer dispensers being installed in public buildings life would have gone on like normal and a lockdown would be completely out of the question. In those days working/studying online from home would have been a non starter. Less than 1% of the population bought online.
...also in 2000, if the was a winter storm we didn't get a 'Status Orange Warning' (where everybody was advised had to stay indoors or die), it was just a winter storm, and life continued as normal ....

I think know what you mean? Life would have carried in as per normal without all the "lockdown" measures, heck, even the word lockdown was unheard of back then. The virus would have swept through, and you either got it or you didn't ....

No OTT media hype, is this your drift?
16-09-2020, 07:49   #28
Wanderer78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canis Lupus
Wouldn't have had all the facebook disease experts telling us we're sheep. That would have been a plus.

I never hear anything good about that site, yet half the planet is still on it, humans are so weird
16-09-2020, 08:01   #29
kippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamsterchops View Post
...also in 2000, if the was a winter storm we didn't get a 'Status Orange Warning' (where everybody was advised had to stay indoors or die), it was just a winter storm, and life continued as normal ....

I think know what you mean? Life would have carried in as per normal without all the "lockdown" measures, heck, even the word lockdown was unheard of back then. The virus would have swept through, and you either got it or you didn't ....

No OTT media hype, is this your drift?
Foot and mouth would indicate otherwise. The same or similar steps that have been taken the past few months would have been taken back then as well. The major difference being to the practicalities of working/learning from home - ie neither would have been possible. That and the capacity of the state to come up with the cash required to pay for all of the Covid related costs would have been much different. This was prior to 2008 so would massive austerity instead of borrowing been the method?
That said there was less international travel, less globalisation so maybe the virus may not have been as widespread in the first instance.

The virus just wouldn't have 'swept through' without major consequences.
16-09-2020, 12:29   #30
Hector Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by riclad View Post
i think its a very serious threat,lets say 1000 young people get it ,
they pass it on to their older relations and parents .
We have limited medical resources and icu beds and we are not even into flu season yet.
if this was the year 2000 we might be using audio apps, instead of hd video on zoom .
even if you are young and get covid and recover it can effect your health in the long term and it effects each person differently .
young people and students would simply stay at home ,
even in 2000 people had basic internet even it was only through a 56 k modem.
I think its ridiculous now where they have 8 year old kids doing school lessons over zoom .
The government had no choice but to put us into lockdown.
Even now i go into a shop and someone is standing 4 inchs behind me,
some people are morons or else they do not understand social distancing .
nonsense
Thread Closed