Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

15-09-2020, 16:55   #1
Double O Seven

If Covid had happened in the year 2000 ?

I firmly believe that apart from maybe a few hand sanitizer dispensers being installed in public buildings life would have gone on like normal and a lockdown would be completely out of the question. In those days working/studying online from home would have been a non starter. Less than 1% of the population bought online.
Advertisement
15-09-2020, 16:59   #2
Oranage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double O Seven View Post
I firmly believe that apart from maybe a few hand sanitizer dispensers being installed in public buildings life would have gone on like normal and a lockdown would be completely out of the question. In those days working/studying online from home would have been a non starter. Less than 1% of the population bought online.
SARS did happen 17 years ago. Because of the origin of the virus the people didnt travel as much now so the spread would be as bad.
15-09-2020, 17:02   #3
Double O Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oranage2 View Post
SARS did happen 17 years ago. Because of the origin of the virus the people didnt travel as much now so the spread would be as bad.
Nonsense, travel was buzzing in 2003
15-09-2020, 17:04   #4
Oranage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double O Seven View Post
Nonsense, travel was buzzing in 2003
Well I mean where the virus originated from, the people there wouldn't have traveled as much as they do now.
(2) thanks from:
15-09-2020, 17:05   #5
whisky_galore

People would claim you could get it from the Y2K bug.
Advertisement
15-09-2020, 18:20   #6
BrianD3

The stats on excess deaths in the UK during this crisis were interesting - someone might presume they were the highest (disease related) death figures EVER EVER EVER. Well apparently there were more deaths in January 2000 which coincided with a bad flu outbreak. There was no fuss about that at the time.

And yeah, if there hadn't been a lockdown for Covid the number of deaths in the UK would probably have been worse but nobody can say how much worse.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-52361519
15-09-2020, 18:52   #7
completedit

Fear, contagion and crowds. Add social media into the mix and it's clear to see we got caught up in a fearful frenzy. Didn't need to be nostradamus to predict this. I honestly can't believe how lost in the stupor those from the top up were/are. I get it for like 3 months from, let's say, March to June but once we had more data on the virus, it should have been obvious that the threat it posed was very very small and in no way, called for the lockdowns which have brought and will bring about economic calamity, affecting the poor unequally, all the while Bezo's and co. pocketed a fortune.

Last edited by completedit; 15-09-2020 at 23:14.
15-09-2020, 19:34   #8
riclad

i think its a very serious threat,lets say 1000 young people get it ,
they pass it on to their older relations and parents .
We have limited medical resources and icu beds and we are not even into flu season yet.
if this was the year 2000 we might be using audio apps, instead of hd video on zoom .
even if you are young and get covid and recover it can effect your health in the long term and it effects each person differently .
young people and students would simply stay at home ,
even in 2000 people had basic internet even it was only through a 56 k modem.
I think its ridiculous now where they have 8 year old kids doing school lessons over zoom .
The government had no choice but to put us into lockdown.
Even now i go into a shop and someone is standing 4 inchs behind me,
some people are morons or else they do not understand social distancing .
15-09-2020, 19:38   #9
BrianD3

Many aspects of life in the year 2000 would need to be considered. A big one would be, what was our ICU capacity relative to population. The health service is a lot more high tech now - I well remembera family member seriously ill in Naas hospital in 2000, the ward was like a dungeon and the ICU wasn't much better, windows were caked in grime. But even with all our shiny new infrastructure and many undoubted improvements, maybe the health service is a bigger shambles now than it was then. Add this to this all the other changes since 2000 and its easy to see how a huge panic would set in.

Also, if Covid hit us in 2000 would it have ripped through "old folks homes" (again many of these were dungeon like compared to modern units) Were there as many people in such homes then, perhaps there was more scope for/culture of looking after the elderly at home. If there were a large number of deaths in such homes in a year 2000 Covid pandemic, would we even have heard of them. Maybe deaths would have just have been shrugged off as old people dying from "a bad flu".

It's like the weather. - two of the worst wind storms in decades hit us in the Christmas periods in 1997 and 1998. Some people died. Storms were not named. The preparations and reactions today would be vastly different. Some lives might be saved but there would be other consequences.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
15-09-2020, 19:55   #10
Quantum Erasure

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisky_galore View Post
People would claim you could get it from the Y2K bug.
Esat Digifone 2G
Thanks from:
15-09-2020, 20:53   #11
JasonStatham

There would have been less hysteria from social media.
(4) thanks from:
15-09-2020, 21:07   #12
earlyevening

Year 2000? We would all take our iodine tablets which would presumably save us from covid (as well as nuclear radiation)

Who remembers Minister Joe Jacob in 2001, all about Irish nuclear disaster procedures?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhX4KsG9mfE
(2) thanks from:
15-09-2020, 21:22   #13
Gregor Samsa

Instead of an app, there’s be an AOL page with spinning logos, flashing text and an animated gif of a man digging saying “Covid 99 Information site under construction”
15-09-2020, 21:28   #14
Quantum Erasure

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonStatham View Post
There would have been less hysteria from social media.
www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=873136
15-09-2020, 21:40   #15
Snails pace

Did the country go into a form of lockdown during the foot and mouth in 2001 ?
Thread Closed