Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

13-09-2020, 14:35   #1
Eleven Benevolent Elephants
Banned

Artificial fucκing sweeteners in everything everything tastes like shıt now.

I got breakfast out in a local pub. I took a taste of the beans, grimaced, forced myself to swallow them and didn't eat the rest. My family, the rest of whom were eating a breakfast not including beans asked me what was wrong and accused me of being a "sugar addict". The beans didn't taste crap because of the lack of sugar, they tasted rubbish because of the dreadful artificial sweeteners. Sugar free seems to be the standard nowadays.Give customers the choice and don't assume. The girl who served us had very broken English so I didn't bother saying anything.

I tried to find a nice bottle of squash, haven't had one in years, ALL have sweeteners.

Even bastard mouthwash has sweeteners. I like the antiseptic taste of traditional mouthwash but corsydyl, a very expensive brand is the only brand like that now. All others are polluted with sweeteners.

The only soft drinks with real sugar are Pepsi, Club Orange and Coca Cola - all others have aspartame, sucralose etc.

Sweeteners can suck my left one. Just because Jacinta the local fatso can't keep the Snickers and Coke out of her gob for five minutes normal healthy people can no longer enjoy an occasional treat.

Anyone have a time machine to take me back to my childhood in the 90's?

Last edited by Eleven Benevolent Elephants; 13-09-2020 at 14:40.
(70) thanks from:
323, Aglomerado, amadangomor, angel eyes 2012, Atlantic Dawn, barneystinson, Batrachotox, blueskys, boardise, boombang, Booms, Car99, Caryatnid, Cee-Jay-Cee, Chinese whospers, chosen1, Church on Tuesday, Conall Cernach, Darth Melkor, daydorunrun, Deebles McBeebles, denartha, Dubl07, Duvet Day, em_cat, Errashareesh, Four Phucs Ache, GazzaL, gozunda, HBC08, hoodie6029, Jayesdiem, JCX BXC, Jon_459, JupiterKid, kave2, Kellford, klaz, LessOutragePlz, Marty Bird, Melanchthon, Minier81, MintyMagnum, Mitzy, Montage of Feck, mooman, nullzero, Omackeral, OnionBelt, paw patrol, PaybackPayroll, Piglet85, s1ippy, Sgt Hartman, Smacruairi, stratowide, suicide_circus, SuperStarHoney, the purple tin, thesimpsons, TheValeyard, timmyntc, Tired332, tomred1, TomSweeney, Ubbquittious, Voodoomelon, whiskeyman, Wibbs, xzanti
Advertisement
13-09-2020, 14:39   #2
iguana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleven Benevolent Elephants View Post
I tried to find a nice bottle of squash, haven't had one in years, ALL have sweeteners.
A couple of the M&S brand squashes have no artificial sweeteners.
13-09-2020, 14:40   #4
Batrachotox

Yeah I agree, would be a food libertarian also - if you’re obese don’t go guzzling fizzy drinks by the litre. There really is no excuse nowadays with so much information out there, nobody isn’t aware sweets and soft drinks etc are unhealthy.
13-09-2020, 14:41   #5
Eleven Benevolent Elephants
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by iguana View Post
A couple of the M&S brand squashes have no artificial sweeteners.
Whilst Stevia is a "natural sweetener" it still doesn't cut it. Let me have my proper white gold.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
13-09-2020, 15:15   #6
Errashareesh

Yep EBE - this is a gripe of mine too. Used to love the very occasional Ribena or San Pellegrino orange. Both awful now.

AND... that sweetener crap makes me really hungry.
13-09-2020, 15:18   #7
TheValeyard

Are these the same guys who ruined Monster Munch?
13-09-2020, 15:56   #8
Sandor Clegane

Thats nanny state Ireland for ya.
13-09-2020, 15:56   #9
Jayesdiem

Quote:
I got breakfast out in a local pub. I took a taste of the beans, grimaced, forced myself to swallow them and didn't eat the rest. My family, the rest of whom were eating a breakfast not including beans asked me what was wrong and accused me of being a "sugar addict". The beans didn't taste crap because of the lack of sugar, they tasted rubbish because of the dreadful artificial sweeteners. Sugar free seems to be the standard nowadays.Give customers the choice and don't assume. The girl who served us had very broken English so I didn't bother saying anything.

Even bastard mouthwash has sweeteners. I like the antiseptic taste of traditional mouthwash but corsydyl, a very expensive brand is the only brand like that now. All others are polluted with sweeteners.

The only soft drinks with real sugar are Pepsi, Club Orange and Coca Cola - all others have aspartame, sucralose etc.

Sweeteners can suck my left one. Just because Jacinta the local fatso can't keep the Snickers and Coke out of her gob for five minutes normal healthy people can no longer enjoy an occasional treat.

Anyone have a time machine to take me back to my childhood in the 90's?
This pisses me off too. Sweeteners give me extreme cramping, bloating and diarrhoea. It means I have to avoid anything and everything with them in it which has become a minefield and a nightmare to eat out. You’d think most foods have no reason to be artificially sweetened but if there is something untoward in the dish, my stomach tells me straight away and it lasts for days. It means I have to be really careful anywhere and everywhere I go and if I do choose to “go mad” by having a pizza or a burger (which shouldn’t have that crap in them), I need to brace myself for a five day rollercoaster. The only solution I’ve found to this is preparing all my own foods from scratch. If I don’t, something, somewhere, always catches me out.
Advertisement
13-09-2020, 15:58   #10
PsychoPete

It's because people are stupid and can't be trusted to not shovel mars bars into their mouths
Thanks from:
13-09-2020, 15:59   #11
Rodney Bathgate
Banned

Could you have asked for sachets of real sugar, then stirred the contents into the baked beans?
13-09-2020, 16:01   #12
iguana

Quote:
Whilst Stevia is a "natural sweetener" it still doesn't cut it. Let me have my proper white gold.
Stevia is manky shïte too. It's ruined 7up. The M&S Orange and Apple&Mango squashes are sugar sweetened only afair.
Thanks from:
13-09-2020, 16:06   #13
daheff

I can see artificial sweeteners being the next health issue in 10 years time.
13-09-2020, 16:08   #14
Rodney Bathgate
Banned

Stevia is rubbish. Tropicana has/had a 50/50 juice. 50% regular OJ then the remainder water and Stevia. RRP was more expensive than the regular Tropicana OJ.
13-09-2020, 16:09   #15
Kintarō Hattori
All Round Nice Guy

Completely agree. A lot of soft drinks amongst other things really do taste dreadful now.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion