Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who'd live in a house like this? Part 2

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I hope "Leo & Murphs" don't see that or that's the future.......

I have a vague recollection of reading about some sort of communal living townhouse or maybe it was a Georgian House before Christmas in Dublin though? Or maybe I'm just going batty from a severe lack of sleep at the moment.

You're not going mad! It's to be in Fitzwilliam Square, supposedly opening in March though I haven't read anything about it opening yet. https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/all-together-now-ny-style-co-living-comes-to-dublin-2-1.3351963

• Registered Users Posts: 13,068 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Not sure if this featured on the old one. Fancy living in someone's converted shed?

http://www.daft.ie/cork/houses-for-sale/midleton/gurteenina-midleton-cork-1683960/

OK it's a bit better than a shed but it's not worth the asking- €105,000 for 25 sqm.

448943.JPG

Looks like a 70s Irish bungalow for a hobbit.

Was looking at the rest of the pics of that house (with interior balcony). Mother of God it looks like they hired Stevie Wonder to do the interior decorating. Hideous.

Ah now Stevie would do a better job.
    BattleCorp wrote: »
    I'd say Mr. McMansion ran out of money.

Sadly after they had fooked it up and not before.

It is nice to see that we aren't running short of material for the new thread. :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

I hope "Leo & Murphs" don't see that or that's the future.......

I have a vague recollection of reading about some sort of communal living townhouse or maybe it was a Georgian House before Christmas in Dublin though? Or maybe I'm just going batty from a severe lack of sleep at the moment.

Of course that is the future.
    It is the elite's dream to fcuk the plebs with as many as they can get away with in a building resembling a prison and bill them €2500 a month for the privilege.
    Cant have people with reasonable salaries expect to be able to buy or rent something on their own. Stick them in battery cages.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

It depends on what you'd want from it. Personally I'd be tearing down a lot given the pics and the layout.

Not all of the furniture is crap but a lot of it is. Removing that would be a huge start. Cost next to nothing.
    Paint architrave and skirting the same colour or at least a colour that matches the door. Cost very little.
    Get rid of church like stands each side of the front door. Cost very little.
    Remove pillars and patch floor and ceiling. Would cost a few bob alright.
    Arrange furniture so that you were looking at the telly and not with it behind you. Wouldn't cost much.
    Change stove surrounds. That marble looks crap. Might not be mad expensive to cover up.
    Throw pelmets into stream. :pac: No cost.
    Tear down balcony and throw into stream. :pac: Some cost.
    Making good damage caused by tearing down balcony. Would cost a fair bit.
    Remove shutters on windows.
    If I had plenty of money I'd change all the doors in the house so that they were all the same style/colour but it wouldn't be a deal breaker as is.
    Repaint entire inside of the house magnolia. :pac:

You'd do all of that for between €10k and €20k (apart from the doors) and you'd have a nice enough house inside.

There's an unreal amount of landscaping needed outside but the place has potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

Why build it that close to the river. It looks like it's in danger of falling in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

bluewolf wrote: »
    And a gold microwave.
    A gold microwave.

Yup already spotted and noted ;) Don't forget the matching toaster ...

Here are some additional photos from Sherdyfitz
    Including the outside

http://www.sherryfitz.ie/residential/for-sale/79901?view=photos

Google maps streetview has the house at foundation level ....
    Why build it that close to the river. It looks like it's in danger of falling in

Or as the normal case in Ireland- flooding...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭threetrees

In fairness the gold microwave is probably brushed silver and the reflection from the light makes it look gold.

Take out all the furniture and you have a house that's instantly improved. To fully improve it would be a big task, for example the shape of those windows would drive me batty.

threetrees wrote: »
    In fairness the gold microwave is probably brushed silver and the reflection from the light makes it look gold.

Take out all the furniture and you have a house that's instantly improved. To fully improve it would be a big task, for example the shape of those windows would drive me batty.

Alas they do exist

Search gold microwave for a few options ;)

Tbh there's not much I personally like about the house as it stands from the religous style convent design, the lack of any real landscaping and the interior layout whilst ok would be a nightmare to keep up imo. I also wonder was the outside going to be painted at some stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭orionm_73

What’s with the huge gap under the front door? Plus the need for a gas heater in the sitting room with the pillars, makes me think it could be freezing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

Thargor wrote: »
    Looks like a recent macmansion to me judging by the state of it and the site its built on, what makes you think it was a church?
    Someone should have had a word at this stage

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

^^^

Didnt get better after that, did it?

gozunda wrote: »
    Yup already spotted and noted ;) Don't forget the matching toaster ...

Here are some additional photos from Sherdyfitz
    Including the outside

http://www.sherryfitz.ie/residential/for-sale/79901?view=photos

Google maps streetview has the house at foundation level ....

Or as the normal case in Ireland- flooding...

Ok what is with the double opening doors all over the place.
    That works in great old houses where the doors are wide enough to drive a horse and buggy through, not in a standard size door or just a bit bigger.
    They would do your head in to always have to open and close the two.

Those pillars. WTF :eek:

The window shapes, was the owner trying to convey a convent or something.
    I guess the crosses on gables does take that religious theme a bit further.
    Maybe the owner was trying to ward off evil and vampires, but all they did was ward off taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

To be fair....if you look at the Sherry Fitz Pic, the microwave and the toaster aren't actually gold- they're standard silver; it's whatever is in the room is reflecting off them that gives the impression they're gold.

#gutted :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    BBC piece on the new Co-Living trend in London. The journalist isn't too enamoured by them. £2,800 a month to live in one in Chelsea. That is just insanity. Would be interested in the comments from the planners.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-43090849
    The idea of living in one of these places on a temporary basis actually seems okay to me. However, it only makes sense if the price is cheap enough to allow you to save. The cost of these places is nuts! From £1000 to £2800 a month for a student dorm? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

That's the new trick, let's market houseshares as something hip and trendy and something to aspire to, more or less the pinnacle of modern living so we can charge a hefty premium for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

jmayo wrote: »
    Ok what is with the double opening doors all over the place.

Possibly the owner was thinking ahead and put in extra wide doors that could accommodate a wheelchair?

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Possibly the owner was thinking ahead and put in extra wide doors that could accommodate a wheelchair?

But some of them do not look oversized.

And you can get a normal door to fit doors that take wheelchairs.

Are those wide enough that you can just open one half?
    Some of them do not look that wide.

To be fair....if you look at the Sherry Fitz Pic, the microwave and the toaster aren't actually gold- they're standard silver; it's whatever is in the room is reflecting off them that gives the impression they're gold.

#gutted :)

Maybe it's me old rheumy eyes but the toaster and microwave definitly look gold even in the sherryfitz photos ;)

There is a lot of gold bling detail in that house if you take a look at the rooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

#whatcolouristhedress

LirW wrote: »
    That's the new trick, let's market houseshares as something hip and trendy and something to aspire to, more or less the pinnacle of modern living so we can charge a hefty premium for it.

Probably stuffed full of newvegans and other trendy lifestylers ;)

I'll think Ill give them a miss ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Dear God..

http://www.daft.ie/westmeath/houses-for-rent/athlone/tubber-athlone-westmeath-1827610/

That bedroom alone.... where are my sunglasses...

Don't think this is for rent but how about this building in Kerry which has been recently voted as one of the 'coolest constructions' on the planet ...

And that's despite the fact that it's has just one door and one window, is dimly lit and measures a tiny 16 ft by 10 ft . :eek:

See:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/kerry-church-ranks-with-eiffel-tower-as-one-of-the-coolest-constructions-on-the-planet-469617.html

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

gozunda wrote: »
    Don't think this is for rent but how about this building in Kerry which has been recently voted as one of the 'coolest constructions' on the planet ...

And that's despite the fact that it's has just one door and one window, is dimly lit and measures a tiny 16 ft by 10 ft . :eek:

See:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/kerry-church-ranks-with-eiffel-tower-as-one-of-the-coolest-constructions-on-the-planet-469617.html

Maybe read its history and purpose?Was never a dwelling house.. :confused: I ti s lovely holy place.

Graces7 wrote: »
    Maybe read its history and purpose?Was never a dwelling house.. :confused: I ti s lovely holy place.

Yes Grace- I do know that. ;). Just humour and a comparison between what went before and now

Interesting though in recent times it's actual use is now disputed by historians and archaeologists - I do wonder what future historians and archaeologists will make of some of the remarkable creations listed on these pages - that is if they survive that long :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Not a day goes by when I don't wonder what happened to the Medicine Woman when her TV series ended. Well wonder no more...apparently she moved to Conamara:

http://www.daft.ie/galway/houses-for-sale/carna/dr-quinns-house-mweenish-island-carna-h91-c8kr-carna-galway-1679080/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Minnie Snuggles

Wow Maud I was not expecting that interior. It's beautiful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ Abdiel Eager Teamwork

maudgonner wrote: »
    Not a day goes by when I don't wonder what happened to the Medicine Woman when her TV series ended. Well wonder no more...apparently she moved to Conamara:

http://www.daft.ie/galway/houses-for-sale/carna/dr-quinns-house-mweenish-island-carna-h91-c8kr-carna-galway-1679080/

That would be a fabulous holiday home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭threetrees

The inside is gorgeous, not keen on some furniture but that's an easy fix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Wow Maud I was not expecting that interior. It's beautiful.

That's a little slice of heaven. Some day....

Advertisement